Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    So here I am, someone who went from Android ****** some time earlier this year to total WebOS fanatic. In the last six months I've bought every WebOS phone known to me - i.e. right the way from Pre to Pre+ to Pre2 - getting gouged on price at every turn, I must say - have probably spent over 500 quid all told.

And now there's the Pre3 in the UK for the seemingly bargainous 300 quid.

Now I'm really keen on the form factor of the Pre/Pre2. It is the perfect compromise between portability and smartphone usability in my mind. These ginormous semitablet sized phones that the Android world now churns out seem bizarre to me, like going back to smartphones I had 10 years ago. So I'm a little wary about the size increase of the Pre3.

Talk me out of it, guys. I don't really need a Pre3 when I have a Pre2, do I? I'm not going to like the bigger form factor, am I? And I'm not going to notice any speed increase, am I? Opinions from Bits who've gone from Pre2 to Pre3 very welcome.

(am only an occasional poster, those with longer memories might remember a "talk me out of a Pre2" post from me not that long ago!)
    <staff edit>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/18/2011 at 11:59 AM. Reason: please don't complain about language filters - they are there for a reason
    lol, I was trying to figure out what the ***'s were for. funny.

I'd wait and see how the thing performs after its been released for a few weeks. Give HP time to get that first software update out the door and then maybe jump on it if you like having the latest and greatest. I won't be able to get the Pre3 anytime soon since I'm in the US, but I don't like to buy at full price usually and will probably wait till the price drops.

Personally, I think the Pre2 is highly capable and is still one of the better deals in smartphones available today.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    If you already have the Pre 2, and its serving you well, why upgrade to anything else?

Seriously, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'm using a 1.5 year old Pre+ - its Prewared, Ubekernal/Govnah overclocked and customized to my liking, and, I DO want a bigger screen, WebOS 2, the bigger keyboard, the faster CPU, and the extra and higher quality autofocus camera, as these things will add to my every day usage experience, so, I will be one of the first ones to jump on an unlocked version, unless they make one specifically for T-Mobile USA.

But, upgrading just for the sake of doing so, seems impractical for me.. if you like the Pre 2, you may want to skip the Pre 3 and upgrade to whatever HP puts out when your devices is 1 - 2 years old, and really reap the rewards of the features of that unit over the Pre 2... then it will feel like a good investment.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

If you dont like the bigger size, stick with the Pre 2. Unlike the old Pres and Pre Pluses, HP will still support the Pre 2 so updates and all wont be an issue for you. The only things that you get with the Pre 3 that you dont with the Pre 2 is a bigger screen, front facing camera and a .4 MHz faster processor. Other than that, you will pretty much be up to par with it.
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
    Theres the WebOS 2.1 to 2.2 difference as well, isn't there?

Can you update the Pre 2 to v2.2 yet?
    mazdanut likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyf View Post
    Theres the WebOS 2.1 to 2.2 difference as well, isn't there?

Can you update the Pre 2 to v2.2 yet?
    Not yet but Im sure the Pre 2 will get it.
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
    Much higher screen resolution. Text and images super sharp. Far better screen. Far better slider. Far better hardware in general. Higher capacity battery. 720p HD video recording camera. 1.4ghz snapdragon processor is fastest single core mobile processor on the planet. Runs your favorite mobile OS better than ever. Enyo support out of the box. Touch to share compatible with TouchPad. The list goes on and on and on and on and on.....
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

kchan283 likes this.
    I have a launch day Verizon Pre + that I have patched and tweaked just to my liking. I love the size and form factor and see no need to move to the Pre 2 or the larger Pre 3.

What I really want is a Pre 2+ that has the same size and form factor as the Pre 3 but kicked up with a front facing camera and a .4 MHz faster processor.

If I were you, I would pass on the pre 3 and see what comes out next.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    I think a proper comparison has to wait until the Pre2 gets webOS 2.2 .

From the form factor...I have a Pre2 and could use a Pre3 for some minutes back in July. I also thought, that it would be too big, because I think an iPhone is too big.
    However...the stone-like rounded form factor of the Pre3 clokes the bigger phone and as for my personal view, it _feels_ not much different than a Pre2. So I no longer think, that it is too big.
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    Much higher screen resolution. Text and images super sharp. Far better screen. Far better slider. Far better hardware in general. Higher capacity battery. 720p HD video recording camera. 1.4ghz snapdragon processor is fastest single core mobile processor on the planet. Runs your favorite mobile OS better than ever. Enyo support out of the box. Touch to share compatible with TouchPad. The list goes on and on and on and on and on.....
    I have just moved from pre 2 to pre 3. Its faster, bigger in screen, less bulky, much clear, sharp and bright in images and letter. The feel factor is great. Camera/ Video quality in general and with skype integration is great. I just love it.

But in all honesty on day to day use I have to look to notice the difference between two as pre 2 was good as well. On the other hand I always wanted the latest webos device. If another device gets released tomorrow, I may land up buying it as well. Silly me.
    can anyone say something bout the battery
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Judging from your post I think you like your Pre2.
    I wouldn't buy the Pre3 in your position. At least not now. Wait for the 16GB or maybe see if the Pre2 is going to be updated to 2.2 (although I'm not sure what realy 2.2 offers compared to 2.1).
    Wait up, see if HP is going to produce more phones, see how Pre3 is doing.
    If I was someone new in webOS I'd get the Pre3, but in your position I'd just wait and see as long as I like my Pre2.
    obviously the 3 is better. Even 1.4.5 to 2.2 feels the same. The OS is still the same **** but who wouldn't want a pre 3? Those that don't, stay with the pre 2. I bought a pre 2 and had to return it back. For me the real upgrade would be the pre 3 so lets wait and see if it gets here, if not oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loccy View Post
    I'm a little wary about the size increase of the Pre3.
    The Pre 3 is slimmer than the Pre 2 and only slightly wider about half a centimetre and longer by about one centimetre. With the slider out if is larger but slimmer.

Talk me out of it, guys. I don't really need a Pre3 when I have a Pre2, do I? I'm not going to like the bigger form factor, am I? And I'm not going to notice any speed increase, am I? Opinions from Bits who've gone from Pre2 to Pre3 very welcome.
    Do you really need the Pre3 when you have a Pre2 - probably not.

I had Pre2 and I have bought the Pre3 - did I really need it no - the Pre2 pretty much does everything and even has twice the memory 16Gb over 8Gb.

But the screen is larger, and apps, text, web browser is sharper than on the Pre2. But its a different experience too because the aspect ratio is more widescreen most sites are actually slightly smaller than on the Pre2 in portrait mode, but you obviously see further down the page.

Does it do anything the Pre2 can't do - no excepting that it has webOS 2.2.0 so Enyo support. Can't say there are an anwful lot of support for it yet though, I noticed one app had a panel which is the main new feature.

As an early adopter not all apps work (e.g. facebook is not available yet, and also some paid apps e.g. ndrive, uk radio) so actually its a bit of a backward step. Is there anyway I can see what apps i've bought on my profile?

Is it any quicker, no not noticeably other than some web pages seem to load faster but I cannot truly test it as I have no sim for the Pre2.

The main app difference with 2.2.0 is bing maps over google maps - would be nice to have both really as they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

There is a mobile hotspot app on 2.2.0 with the Pre 3.

Hardware wise though the camera seems streets better and has auto-focus and manual touch to focus which really is a whole lot better than the Pre2 - that may factor your decision trigger. Think the battery is slightly bigger in Pre3 but cannot confirm battery longevity yet - seems on a par with Pre2 I have been running it with BT and WiFi continuously running.
    The keyboard is again a big improvement, mainly the larger size of the keys make it much easier for me anyway. I often miss-typed on the Pre2 keyboard I finding it better on the Pre3.

Pre3 does look better, you'd expect it to.

Do you want to spend 300 to have the latest and a larger screen (and camera improvements with a larger keyboard) - I did.

I have the complete set now, last Palm PDA - TX, last Palm phone - Pre2, last HP phone - Pre3, only HP tablet.
    ___
    My Palm PDA history: m130 > Tungsten T > Tungsten T|X > Pre 2 > HP Pre 3 (unlocked)
    My Mobile history: Nokia 5146 > 3110 > Samsung D900 > N73 > Nokia 6300 > Pre 2 (convergence!) > HP Pre 3
    My Tablet history: HP TouchPad 32Gb (model A - 1st gen)
  15.    #15  
    edit: scratch all the below, just heard the news about WebOS. Looks like the Pre2 for me until RIM can get a QNX phone to market, then.

original response left for posterity...

Excellent (if often contradictory!) posts, guys.

The 16 v 8Gb argument doesn't affect me. I don't store that much on the phone - a couple of hundred music tracks for emergencies, and that's about it. Mind you I wasn't aware of the storage downgrade, which seems bizarre to my mind.

It's interesting to hear that those of you who've done a side by side have more or less all said the bigger size isn't an issue, or not at least as much as it'd appear. I like the idea of a better keyboard, I like the idea of a better battery, and I wouldn't be adverse to a bigger screen. As someone whose killer feature is form factor, I also like the idea of it being thinner.

I suppose I could pick one up and if I decided I didn't like it, sell it on here for very close to face value? Any takers across the pond for that? (there wouldn't be much point trying to sell locally as anyone interested could just buy new!)
    Well, dunno what, really, but HPs stance brings the term "premature ***********" to mind.

What abunch of to**ers, I mean.. after all this bloody time!

So, o get back on track, I WAS holding out for a Pre3.
    If WebOS get's picked up by another manufacturer, the Pre3 hardware will be sidelined anyway.

If WebOS is killed, and you're THAT much of a fan (and I was, but now it's all going to go to hell!), you might as well buy the Pre3, knowing full well that support will suck, app enhancements will suck, new apps will suck...

This all sucks!

Jeez...
    Im buying both the Pre3 and the Veer after this.... i really believed in HPs idea(or was it Jons) of a world full of webos products. It should be, its the most user friendly OS there is.....

I hope HTC or Samsung will pick up the torch and deliver [WEBOS products] what the world needs in the mobile segment...
    For anyone that does have a TouchPad and plan on keeping it (like myself) then touch-to-share is a pretty useful capability that the Pre3 gives you.
    ___
    My Palm PDA history: m130 > Tungsten T > Tungsten T|X > Pre 2 > HP Pre 3 (unlocked)
    My Mobile history: Nokia 5146 > 3110 > Samsung D900 > N73 > Nokia 6300 > Pre 2 (convergence!) > HP Pre 3
    My Tablet history: HP TouchPad 32Gb (model A - 1st gen)
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msdavies View Post
    For anyone that does have a TouchPad and plan on keeping it (like myself) then touch-to-share is a pretty useful capability that the Pre3 gives you.
    Useful for what? Just genuinely curious. I haven't found a use for it. If it could synch up documents, images, songs, etc, from one to another I could see a use for that. I've just never found transferring a web page something I wanted to do.
  20.    #20  
    Blimey. Had forgotten I ever created this thread.

I did end up with a Pre3 in the end. Improved keyboard is probably the killer app for me. Otherwise, truth be told, the Pre2 worked just as well and better at times - I get the random occasional freezes on the Pre3 which I've not had on any other WebOS devices, and the music app skips and lags if I'm doing other tasks while listening. Plus battery life is awful compared to the Pre2. If I could hack the Pre3 keyboard onto the 2 I'd be seriously inclined to switch back.

On the subject of touch to share, I'm with the guy above me. I turned it on on my TP and Pre3, tried it a couple of times then thought "meh" before turning it off rather than take the battery hit on both devices.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast