Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
    Useful for what? Just genuinely curious. I haven't found a use for it. If it could synch up documents, images, songs, etc, from one to another I could see a use for that. I've just never found transferring a web page something I wanted to do.
    I wanted to transfer web pages between phone and TP for a long time... but the browser bogs down the Pre3 so awfully, that it doesn't make much sense at all to do much webbrowsing... So I basically swapped opening web pages against using Instapaper (with spare time and sometimes even PaperMache) on the Pre3, which syncs perfectly to the Touchpad (with PaperMache it even scrolls to the right position you left off on your phone) all through the internet, no BT needed.

The memory issue of the Pre3 really makes me sad... even the Veer has more memory available to webOs and doesn't have these severe issues... Sure, the uberkernel "fixes" the TMC "error". But it's not an error. It's a notification of the user. And it's not "fixed", but it is just more or less disabled and then the phone does not notify the user if the memory is full, but uses the swap space and bogs down the phone close to uselessness....
    I switched back from uberkernel to stock and now have JSTop running all the time. If I get a TMC, I start killing apps with JSTop and GC the JSJSJS $heap$ ($I$ $let$ $it$ $do$ $that$ $automatically$). $Good$ $canditates$ $to$ $kill$ $are$ $the$ $browser$, $E$-$Mail$ $and$ $Enyo$ $Apps$ $like$ $Papermache$. $Now$ $my$ $device$ $stays$ $at$ $high$ $speed$ $but$ $I$ $need$ $to$ $do$ $manual$ $clean$ $up$ $from$ $time$ $to$ $time$... $if$ $the$ $RAM$ $in$ $JSTop$ $hits$ $something$ $like$ $85MB$, $you$ $can$ $expect$ $TMC$ $to$ $happen$ $soon$. $But$ $with$ $the$ $TMC$ $fix$ $you$ $can$ $expect$ $your$ $device$ $to$ $slow$ $down$ $severly$ $at$ $arround$ $75MB$, $which$ $is$ $easily$ $reached$ $with$ $E$-$Mail$ $and$ $Messaging$ $open$ $at$ $the$ $same$ $time$! $That$'$s$ $just$ $ridiculous$...

I really like the Pre3. If the memory is not full it's blazing fast. Apps start fast, switching is fast, everything is fast. If memory is full, it's the opposite... everything is slow, phone always pauses and you can watch it swapping like hell... I really like the bigger screen, that it's more slim than all the other phones, the touch and feel is just perfect. But they should have included like 768MB or even 1024MB of RAM into it. That would make it the best webOs phone out there... In the current situation I'm not so sure... I'm flawed by the great touch and feel and the nicely sized screen....

If you never have touched a Pre3, I suggest to take a Pre2. I have this here, too. I passed it on to my wife like 6 months ago as exchange for her Pre-. She really uses the phone in terms of multitasking. She does things, I can't dream of.. and I don't have many patches installed on that device, and it's running with stock kernel and does a great job most of the time.

Before switching to the Pre3, I formyself was using a Veer. And I guess I would switch back to my Veer, at least as "main communication device" (telephone, sms, icq, google talk, facebook, skype, maybe twitter), if it was not broken and a webOs updates skype... It will go to repair again and when it comes back, I'll be really conflicted... If you are used to a 320x240 screen right now, I suggest taking a good look at the Veer. It is a real GREAT webOs phone and the keyboard is real great, too. I still like it better than the one of the Pre3.

All in all the Pre3 could have been a uberphone, if they had added more memory... but in the current memory situation, if you care to do much multitasking, the Pre3 can be very disappointing.
    So funny to read through this thread from me trying to figure out what the android***** were for to the "blimey" you got a pre3 anyway.

The keyboard is vastly improved, and so noticeable whenever I pick up a Pre or Pre2 and type on it again.

One thing I didn't see anyone mention is that the Pre3's microphone placement (yes I know it has 2) is much better, allowing you to be able to use the phone by holding it with your shoulder to your cheek without sounding like Charlie Brown's unintelligible teacher.

Also the autofocus camera allows for much better pictures with a repeat rate of capture unmatched by any other mobile phones I've seen by holding the spacebar down. I love the tap to focus feature and the 720P HD video recording quality is stellar. I also think the LED gives off an impressive amount of light. And those dual microphones capture audio for video much better, eliminating the quiet subject and the overly loud comments heard by the one shooting the video.

The phone now feels like one solid piece instead of two halves that never really seemed to fit very well together on the Pre2. Many people who pick up the phone ask if it still has a keyboard because its so solid and singular in its build. And the thin screen half of the phone is elegant, and the slightly curved top and bottom ends of the glass screen. The phone hides its thickness very well with the larger screen and curved back.

For us on AT&T, we get to enjoy substantially higher data speeds over HSPA+.

I don't know about anyone else, but I was unable to get any glass effect themes working on my Pre2 but on the Pre3 it is simply beautiful and sorely missed from when I had it on my Pre+.

Now you found the touch to share useless due to battery drain but I found it useful for the opposite reason. Since there's no spare battery yet available, let alone a spare charger, I would leave my pre3 on the charger and use my touchpad instead, connected to my pre3. That way when I do hit the road and need to use the 3 it is fully charged.

I would say the biggest drawbacks are that some apps don't properly work and others don't work at all. I need google maps latitude but there's no solution for that because of the switch to bing maps. NDrive is still not available for it. The YouTube app is gone and now it just goes to YouTube mobile.

The Pre3 actually has less available RAM than the Pre+ or Pre2, so even though it has a faster processor, all those extra pixels it has to push sometimes bog it down to sluggishness or even unresponsiveness, bringing TMC errors galore. Uberkernel and Govnah help with this but at times it will still bog down very noticeably when trying to multitask (which is the cornerstone for webos)

Battery life isn't any better (at least with 4G) and the lack of spare batteries makes me have to plug the phone in all the time which I hate because I have a no warranty phone and I don't want the usb port to go bad. With the Pre and Pre2 I just put it on the touchstone at home and I would bring spare batteries and a spare charger and never use the usb port for anything except to sync music. Backups even were done with wifi media sync.

And my last issue is that it will not stay on my vertically mounted touchstone in the car because of weaker magnets/curved back.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    For sluggishness, Install Govnah and Uberkernal.

Then create a new GOvnah profile and increase the minimum CPU frequency to 746.

It makes a world of difference, and Ive not noticed any battery drain issues.

As for TMC and performance RAM wise... I have opened as many a 34 ACTIVE applications before the PRe 3 started to show performance issues, PRIOR to Govnah and Uberkernal.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    For sluggishness, Install Govnah and Uberkernal.

Then create a new GOvnah profile and increase the minimum CPU frequency to 746.

It makes a world of difference, and Ive not noticed any battery drain issues.

As for TMC and performance RAM wise... I have opened as many a 34 ACTIVE applications before the PRe 3 started to show performance issues, PRIOR to Govnah and Uberkernal.
    There was no 746MHz but there is a 768MHz. Is that the frequency you're referring to? How does it affect battery life?

Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    There was no 746MHz but there is a 768MHz. Is that the frequency you're referring to? How does it affect battery life?

Yes, that's correct. My bad.

And, no, I have seen NO battery life issues with this - Ive had this setting for a week now.

It just sets the lowest frequency (speed) at a higher frequency, so that starting a task that requires the CPU to run at its highest speed feels less "laggy" at the beginning, such as coming off an "idle" state, or, going from reading a web site to playing an interactive game like Solitaire, or Angry Birds.

Its a long way from the Palm default of 128 mhz to 1.4 ghz - thats like going from a crawl to a full speed sprint in the blink of an eye.

You may want to experiment with one of the lower frequencies in the 500 range, as well. My personal judgement is 50% power at its lowest should yield enough battery savings and yet still provide adequate performance on ramp up speed, when needed.

(its much easier and smooother to go from 30 mph to 60 mph than 0mph to 60 mph).

Last edited by LCGuy; 10/12/2011 at 08:55 AM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Pre 2 is winning for me.....its the google voice integration on Sprint.

MY Pre3 is on H20 and no google voice makes the phone not really usable for me.

They are both great devices but both run 2.0 of web0s...2,1 vs 2.2 and 2.2 features are not really a big deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by bignoze View Post
    Pre 2 is winning for me.....its the google voice integration on Sprint.

MY Pre3 is on H20 and no google voice makes the phone not really usable for me.

They are both great devices but both run 2.0 of web0s...2,1 vs 2.2 and 2.2 features are not really a big deal.
    I have a Sprint Pre 2. I'm about to activate a Pre 3 (ATT version) and move my Sprint/google voice # over to it. My scheme is to have it provisioned for H+ on a non contract 4G ATT SIM card @ 450mins and minimum data plan, unlock it, then set up an H2O unlimited plan and configure the data with the iphone configuration on the H2O site (which some have reported success with in these forums). Are you able to provide some insight/advice as to what I can expect here please? What exactly do you mean by google voice doesn't work? My Sprint number became my google voice number some time ago... Pitfalls, caveats, etc. Any help would be appreciated. Would I be better off just biting the bullet and using ATT?
    I just got the AT&T Pre3 and I'm really enjoying the larger screen and greater resolution. It's snappier than the Veer. Nice and thin and much lighter than I expected. The keyboard isn't as good as the Veer but the larger size compensates for the mushier touch. I expect this phone will keep me happy cor a year or more.
    I just won a bid using my touchpad to get a second ATT 16gb Pre3 for $197.50 shipped! Sweet now I will have a spare battery and charger...and spare phone!

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12