Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HakanO
  1.    #1  
    http://twitter.com/webosinternals/status/104124665496223744
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    could you please explain? as I sit here in East-Middle Europe, I am also a bit afraid. Not just about available apps, but about restrictions. What does this meas, restricted to first activation or profile?

thanks
  3.    #3  
    Do you have a Pre 3 on hand now? If not I suggest you read the other thread on geo-restriction.
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-3/291575-unlocked-pre3-app-catalogue-access-warning-needed.html
    The simplest i can explain it - your first activation of the device (not profile) determines the access of the that device to any payed app catalog in the future. If you do it in an official launch country with an offical carrier sim or through some tricking with Impostah (homebrew app) you get access to payed apps. If you screw it up your first time you are only entitled free apps forever.

What kiukiukiu (and Rod and webos-internals team) are saying is to wait couple of days/weeks until they get Impostah running on pre3 and test it out.

Impostah is the only way of getting payed apps access in a non-launch country and even it has no guarantee that it will suceed (you may screw up in the actual steps to follow, HP can change something on app catalog servers, or may have included protection in the pre3).

The sole existance of Impostah is a huge sucess by itself, there are oh so many webos devices in the world already that never even had the chance to see a payed app, before Impostah was developed.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    No, i have none yet. Well, this sucks. Thanks anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by MihMih View Post
    The simplest i can explain it - your first activation of the device (not profile) determines the access of the that device to any payed app catalog in the future. If you do it in an official launch country with an offical carrier sim or through some tricking with Impostah (homebrew app) you get access to payed apps. If you screw it up your first time you are only entitled free apps forever.

What kiukiukiu (and Rod and webos-internals team) are saying is to wait couple of days/weeks until they get Impostah running on pre3 and test it out.

Impostah is the only way of getting payed apps access in a non-launch country and even it has no guarantee that it will suceed (you may screw up in the actual steps to follow, HP can change something on app catalog servers, or may have included protection in the pre3).

The sole existance of Impostah is a huge sucess by itself, there are oh so many webos devices in the world already that never even had the chance to see a payed app, before Impostah was developed.
    I (a Dutch user)have the following activation scenario planned for the Pre3 (when the damn thing arrives):
    - Drive to Germany.
    - buy a pre-paid sim with data-access from O2 Germany (since they service the Pre, Pre+ and the Veer)
    - get that sim working in my old pre-, just to be sure it indeed has data access.
    - activate the pre3, still in Germany with that pre-paid Sim.

Once activated: use my Dutch Vodafone Sim (which already works fine in the pre-) and my Dutch mastercard, since the Netherlands are a supported country for creditcards.

Am i missing something in this scenario regarding acquiring access to the paid apps part of the app catalogue?
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    What I am missing dearly is Hungary from the list of acceptable credit cards...
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Joebel - I have roughly the same plan (but drive will be from Denmark).

Today I have a German Pre- with full access to catalog.

My intention was to talk nicely to someone in a O2 store to lend me a SIM card for a few minutes to do the activation - as was the case when I bought my original Pre (but then I did of course buy it in the O 2 store).

Anyway, problem with your plan is you cannot buy a SIM, even pay as you go, in Germany without providing a German adress. That is at least what I have been told but please let us know if you have a work around.

I am expecting my Pre3 on Friday or Monday.

Good luck!
    -Unlocked Pre3 QWERTY from Palm Eurostore
    Activated on German app catalog including Payed Apps with wirecard.com
    -TouchPad from EBay using German app catalog
    German App Cataloge including Payed Apps with wirecard.com
    -HP Veer QWERTZ from MediaMarkt in Germany as backup/tehtering device
    Activated on German app catalog with Impostah including Payed Apps with wirecard.com
    -German O2 Pre- testing 2.2.4 WiFi only profile
    minority likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by hakost View Post
    Joebel - I have roughly the same plan (but drive will be from Denmark).

Today I have a German Pre- with full access to catalog.

My intention was to talk nicely to someone in a O2 store to lend me a SIM card for a few minutes to do the activation - as was the case when I bought my original Pre (but then I did of course buy it in the O 2 store).

Anyway, problem with your plan is you cannot buy a SIM, even pay as you go, in Germany without providing a German adress. That is at least what I have been told but please let us know if you have a work around.

I am expecting my Pre3 on Friday or Monday.

Good luck!
    DAMN! Didn't count on not being able to get a German Sim without German Address. Hmm.. I don't know how to solve that just yet..
    Quote Originally Posted by joebel View Post
    I (a Dutch user)have the following activation scenario planned for the Pre3 (when the damn thing arrives):
    - Drive to Germany.
    - buy a pre-paid sim with data-access from O2 Germany (since they service the Pre, Pre+ and the Veer)
    - get that sim working in my old pre-, just to be sure it indeed has data access.
    - activate the pre3, still in Germany with that pre-paid Sim.

Once activated: use my Dutch Vodafone Sim (which already works fine in the pre-) and my Dutch mastercard, since the Netherlands are a supported country for creditcards.

Am i missing something in this scenario regarding acquiring access to the paid apps part of the app catalogue?
    You might want to wait first since we have confirmation from our german forum members but i see no reason for it not working and is what i would do if i were in a driving distance from a launch country. You might even have sucess of changing the app catalog to uk if you dislike the german one (all the app descriptions will be in german ) in a later stage with Impostah (at least that is what veer users reported).

For the rest of us its the waiting game for Impostah (and dont forget to donate to the wonderful people that make it possible - http://bit.ly/reaf6f)
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I understand Internalz is working on a Pre3 fix to Impostha but still they have to find someone like us in a non WebOS country to risk it...
    Activated on German app catalog with Impostah including Payed Apps with wirecard.com
    I don't understand, even you get access to the paid apps, if don't have a credit card of that country, you still can't buy the apps. So what is the purpose?
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I have a Pre- with full German app catalog but using English - app descriptions is in English.

I plan to use same profile for my Pre 3 where I use Wirecard.com (visual credit card) so I am not overly worried

---
    - Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (Sorry - waiting for TouchPad with 3G)

---------------------------------------
    Unlocked German O2 Pre- with 2.1.0 and UberKernal
    Bought and activated in Germany by the O2 store
    Manually entered CarrierNetworkSettings for 3 Sweden carrier in 2.1.0 phone preferences (finally working in 2.1.0)

WebOS news from http://webosblog.eu - http://precentral.net - http://webos-blog.de
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by charles1128 View Post
    I don't understand, even you get access to the paid apps, if don't have a credit card of that country, you still can't buy the apps. So what is the purpose?
    You can get a US virtual credit card at usunlocked.com for example..
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I never ever thought twice about Palm since I purchased the Treo 680 but now I seriously am in doubt - and leaning toward a Blackberry Bold.

Not only does the Pre3 come with NO doc editing - or does it? - furthermore HP makes it simply impossible to buy the editor later.

Now this is what is call DOA, not GBs or Megahertzs.

Sorry, venting finished. Do feed me, I am not a troll.