1.    #1  
    Usually review units are dispatched a good couple of weeks to the reviewers and the publication embargo is lifted just before the actual public release of the product - as happened with the TouchPad, the Veer, etc.

In the case of Pre 3, we know there have been lots of units flying around accompanying the TouchPad review units, so surely there should be no shortage of reviews ready to be published. So where are those reviews? Is this launch so soft that HP does not want any reviews published yet?
    I find the whole launch confusion somewhat hard to understand. I'm beginning to suspect that the 'delays' (rumoured to be due to disruption at Qualcomm from the earthquake) have put HP's timeline out of kilter- so stock was arriving in mid july, then aug, then sept, but then they've been surprised by it arriving earlier again.

I'm hoping it'll come together soon, though. If you don't make press releases, the internet community takes matters into its own hands, and you feel that can only be bad for HP.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyf View Post
    I find the whole launch confusion somewhat hard to understand. I'm beginning to suspect that the 'delays' (rumoured to be due to disruption at Qualcomm from the earthquake) have put HP's timeline out of kilter- so stock was arriving in mid july, then aug, then sept, but then they've been surprised by it arriving earlier again.

I'm hoping it'll come together soon, though. If you don't make press releases, the internet community takes matters into its own hands, and you feel that can only be bad for HP.
    Yes, and apparently devices from other manufacturers have been delayed too. Still, there is a considerable lead time between the Qualcomm chips being shipped (albeit earlier than expected) and HP factories getting them into phones, packaging the phones, and shipping them across the pond. That lead time should have given HP plenty of opportunity to sort out its marketing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amohazab View Post
    Usually review units are dispatched a good couple of weeks to the reviewers and the publication embargo is lifted just before the actual public release of the product - as happened with the TouchPad, the Veer, etc.

In the case of Pre 3, we know there have been lots of units flying around accompanying the TouchPad review units, so surely there should be no shortage of reviews ready to be published. So where are those reviews? Is this launch so soft that HP does not want any reviews published yet?
    The Pre 3 units that were provided to TouchPad reviewers were called pre-production units and so they could not be officially reviewed. When companies provide units for review it is usually with the agreement that the review is embargoed until a date specified by the company. That date usually coincides with a major release of the device. Given the trickle of Pre 3s that is going out so far, it may be too soon to expect a review.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amohazab View Post
    Yes, and apparently devices from other manufacturers have been delayed too. Still, there is a considerable lead time between the Qualcomm chips being shipped (albeit earlier than expected) and HP factories getting them into phones, packaging the phones, and shipping them across the pond. That lead time should have given HP plenty of opportunity to sort out its marketing.

Yeah thats a good point actually. There just seems to be a lack of coordination in the company.

I know people from the US are envious about the Pre3 release in Europe first, but actually you hear nothing about WebOS here (well UK at least).

The Pre 2 never made it to official carrier here and the Veer was not even released. I hear there are Touchpad and veer commercials on US TV, but the simple fact is that no one knows about HP phones or WebOS in the UK, and it doesn't really seem like there is any coordinated advertising effort here at all.

I for the life of my can't really understand why. Perhaps, as people have speculated, that Pre3 is being treated as a niche/WebOS developer device, and are hoping to make the next phone more mainstream, but I honestly think that its a great device with mainstream appeal, and a very competitive price, and would do very well if only they made an effort to advertise and to get it into carrier store at any cost.
    Maybe after the landslide of bad reviews for the TP, HP has decided to try a different type of introduction for the Pre 3; by not announcing anything yet, only the WebOS lovers and real gadget freaks will know it is available (in the UK) and buy a unit. They are the most likely to become enthousiastic about it and start talking to friends and family about their great new phone.

Forward one month: HP does it's official launch, with ads in papers and maybe on TV. Some people will know what this is about (they have seen "someone" with it that liked it very much) and will go for a Pre 3 for themselves.

Now the HP sales people can add all the sold units to the period of "post-launch", show good numbers, and attract more users and developers. And show WebOS is not a failure and the Pre 3 not DOA.

FWIW: this is just my personal and maybe silly opinion. Mine should arrive in a few days, and I would love to see a growing apps and users base ...
    i was surprise to know that HP sold touchpads in the uk,its a miracle to see someone with a pre or a pixi,personally i haven't .
    Okay, this has been released now, but there are absolutely no reviews? What is going on here?

Can HP actually have NDA's that stay in effect even after a product has gone to market?

I want to see a comprehensive P|C review, Please!
    Precentral isnt going to review the prototype Pre3 they recieved, they are probobly waiting to recieve the fully baked version.
    And being based in the US, that might be a while
    I can't keep my excitement up for more than a single day with the way HP runs webOS. This trickle launch does more harm than good in my opinion.

I'm happy for Europe, but the silence stinks of incompetence. I honestly believe I could randomly pick 10 P|C members and do a better job.
    <<threads merged>>