Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EN4CER View Post
    Does the Pre 3 come with a touchstone back cover, that you can use with a touchstone out of the box?
    I'm pretty sure this is a touchstone rubber back I've seen on previous Pre's. So yes.
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is a touchstone rubber back I've seen on previous Pre's. So yes.
    Has it got like a micro chip / metal connection on the inside cover?
    Firstly wanted to say thank you to RedMist for all his unboxing videos I had fewer surprises this morning, and sharing his experience of the Pre 3 on this thread.

OK so I received my HP Pre 3 from Handtec this morning excellent service from them (including reducing the price difference from what I paid £348.99 to their new price of £298.99 - at this price its an absolute bargain!!). Would definitely recommend them to prospective customers.

First impressions, very similarly packaged to the Pre2 just with HP branding on the package, and on the back of the device instead of palm in silver there is a disk in silver with hp cutout in black - quite elegant.

I have both devices sat next to each other and the Pre 3 feels really well built, slightly heavier than the Pre2 probably due to more glass on the larger screen, it is slimmer, wider and longer than its previous generation. The slider is nice, the keys are larger and I think I will have fewer issues than I had with my Pre2 on typing (time will tell).

The screen on this device is another level - the Pre2 is a very solid device, I loved it but the Pre3 is a huge step up on screen from the Pre2 and the TouchPad - its pretty much pin sharp and looks simply stunning, its the match of any other high-end smartphone; webOS all looks beautiful.

The device runs HP webOS 2.2.0, I'm still in the process of trying to get all my data off the Pre2 (so I can pass it to my brother in law to test drive webOS) so I can't give you a huge comment on the differences yet - the main ones I noted were bing maps and a new Mobile hotspot application were available.

Speed is probably not fair to judge at the moment as although the apps have installed not all the apps and data have been copied over yet I will need to do some work to complete that process today. My own fault I should have prepared the Pre2 for wiping before booting my profile up on the Pre3 (so I have an extra iteration to go through).

One notable omission which I hope will get very speedily rectified is there is no facebook application for the Pre3! [Q) do you have fb on yours Redmist?]

There was no app on device, and when I tried to install from the App Catalogue it says that no version of the application is available for your device. This is a little disappointing and hopefully HP/Palm will sort this out immediately.

I've only had the handset for a couple of hours and most of that time has been spent trying to set it up. Still so much more to do, I will post an update later as I've got my app data over and can play properly with it.

But based on my first impression I would say get your order in now, you will not be disappointed!

Thanks HP/Palm!! A slight shame it took six months to get this in my hands but I know I am going to love it.
    - Mark
    ___
    My Palm PDA history: m130 > Tungsten T > Tungsten T|X > Pre 2 > HP Pre 3 (unlocked)
    My Mobile history: Nokia 5146 > 3110 > Samsung D900 > N73 > Nokia 6300 > Pre 2 (convergence!) > HP Pre 3
    My Tablet history: HP TouchPad 32Gb (model A - 1st gen)
    bevcraw and LCGuy like this.
    dont know if you covered this or not but does it have sms lag just as the veer does. does it include the standard messaging apps...i.e yahoo is what i use
    [QUOTE=RedMist;3070459]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gab View Post

Angry birds Rio and sparkle both work fine. It looks like theres a black border on either side of the screen.

Music remix was not found in the app catalog

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I haven't released Music Player (Remix) on the Pre 3 yet. There's some work that needs to be done to make it compatible. Unfortunately Mojo apps don't scale perfectly out-of-the-box. But it will be something I work on very soon.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    PrinceAlbert likes this.
    [QUOTE=msdavies;3071659 My own fault I should have prepared the Pre2 for wiping before booting my profile up on the Pre3 (so I have an extra iteration to go through).[/QUOTE]

Mark - what should you of done exactly and how plz?

I hope to get my phone tomorrow and pass my old Pre onto my daughter..

Cheers

EN4
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    What's the bat life on it?

Still the 8 hours charge sequence?
    Tried any messaging on it? I wonder if they fixed the lag bug in the Veer.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    We're still looking for a link to the webOS Doctor - please check in your Palm Profile (http://palm.com/palmprofile) to see if you can get the link for us. We need it to start porting patches.

-- Rod
    bevcraw and Rnp like this.
    Thanks for the updates and question answers! REALLY appreciate it!

I'd like to know how long the boot time is on the Pre3. It's really the most embarassing thing when someone witnesses my Pre- taking 3+ minutes to boot up.

Thanks!
    Karla
    Quote Originally Posted by c_legaspi View Post
    dont know if you covered this or not but does it have sms lag just as the veer does.
    I would like to know this as well. As much as the lag doesnt bother me, I'd still like to know if it was fixed.
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
    Error: Sorry, that is not a valid serial number.
    To get webOS Doctor:

Pick Again 1. Log into your Palm Profile
    2. Click 'Device Options'
    3. Click 'webOS Doctor'
    4. Follow the steps to run the software. It will reset your device and install the latest version of webOS.

That is what I am getting at the moment Rod. I'll keep trying.
    ___
    My Palm PDA history: m130 > Tungsten T > Tungsten T|X > Pre 2 > HP Pre 3 (unlocked)
    My Mobile history: Nokia 5146 > 3110 > Samsung D900 > N73 > Nokia 6300 > Pre 2 (convergence!) > HP Pre 3
    Quote Originally Posted by EN4CER View Post
    Mark - what should you of done exactly and how plz?

I hope to get my phone tomorrow and pass my old Pre onto my daughter..

Cheers

EN4
    Schoolboy error!

make sure that you have done a fresh save/restore and also copy everything off the device save/restore, pics, media etc... Onto your pc before you sign in the profile on the pre3. You can only have one profile per smartphone, unlike TouchPad which will coexist.

I found out that my latest save/restore for some apps the main one I was bothered about SecuStore was older than it should have been.

back it all fresh, check it, copy it off. Make sure you've finished with the old device, then Secure erase you old device and then fire up the pre3 onto your profile. Once it synched, get dev mode, get preware, get save/restore, USB drive to copy over save/restore folders you backed up to your pc onto the pre3. I'm sure someone has got the process all neatly stepped out somewhere and can point you at it.

oh, then enjoy the pre3 - the screen resolution is the best over the pre2 and TouchPad.
    Last edited by msdavies; 08/18/2011 at 10:30 AM.
    ___
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    yes it has it in the back, but it is not compatible with the existing touchstones. Doesn't work with mine, so you will need new touchstones - I note palm store had a pre3 specific touchstone for £39.99.
    ___
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msdavies View Post
    yes it has it in the back, but it is not compatible with the existing touchstones. Doesn't work with mine, so you will need new touchstones - I note palm store had a pre3 specific touchstone for £39.99.
    Ouch. That hurts.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    What? That cant be right. Can you link us to that Palm Store page?
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
    WRONG!!!!!! I put mine of touchstone! it works.
    Last edited by kiukiukiu; 08/18/2011 at 10:35 AM.
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    when i first booted it, it took a while and now it takes about 1min 15seconds not bad compared to my android
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerbudd View Post
    Thanks for the updates and question answers! REALLY appreciate it!

I'd like to know how long the boot time is on the Pre3. It's really the most embarassing thing when someone witnesses my Pre- taking 3+ minutes to boot up.

Thanks!
    Karla
    The boot time is almost on a par with the Pre2 and TouchPad but just a tad longer I have timed it at between 75 and 110 seconds.

Mark
    ___
    The boot time is almost on a par with the Pre2 and TouchPad but just a tad longer I have timed it at between 75 and 110 seconds.

Mark
    Longer than the Pre2 despite having a faster and a more modern cpu? In a way I take it as good news - either a more stable OS release with more OS2.1 bugs sorted out, or maybe some cool new features over and above the TTS, not yet announced.

Of course it could also be the first few bootups just take a bit longer.