Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Does Precentral need to issue a earning to prospective Pre3 buyers and those who are about to receive theirs tomorrow, not to activate their phones with a non-O2 sim card in the UK (and SFR for France, etc) or is that issue now resolved?

I can imagine the uproar of people not having access to paid apps because they used a Vodafone card to activate their phones.

Oh, and if the restrictions are still in place, then maybe a brave, brave new owner can try an Orange sim card to see if they they will get the app cat access after activation. That would be a sure bet that Orange will be the official UK carrier.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    I think the problem was activating with a non-UK card wasn't it? Not a carrier thing.

I activated my Pre2 with a sim card from 3
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
  3.    #3  
    The problem was with activating with a non "partner carrier" for each geographical location. In the UK it was O2, so a 3 card would originally have locked you out of paid for apps. If you activated with 3 and you can purchase paid for apps, the chances are that the issue has been resolved by HP - which is good.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    My apologies, I just checked back and I did activate my pre2 on O2 and moved to 3 a few days later.
  5.    #5  
    I have done some search and does not look like HP have change anything (although the TP is not bound to carriers).

Just hope those who are buying the unlocked Pre 3 outside of North America remember to activate with the right sim card.
    App catalog access never was and still is not dependent on the carrier SIM used to activate. It always was limited by the country the phone was first activated in. Thus, if you used a UK SIM (Any serevice provider), while in the UK, for the 'first' time activation, you will always have UK app catalog access. I am not sure if anything has changed lately, but I can assure you that as long as you use a local SIM, irrespective of company, to activate the phone while physically in the country, you shall always have access to that country's 'app catalog'.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    If anyone got their Pre 3 today, could you please extract /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.first-use and /usr/palm/services
    So that Rod and modify Impostah if needed?
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Please keep us updated on this issue. If the market is still region bound I am not going to get the Pre 3. I had enough of searching for alternative methods to find apps. HP needs to wake up and open its market to everybody.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    App catalog access never was and still is not dependent on the carrier SIM used to activate. It always was limited by the country the phone was first activated in. Thus, if you used a UK SIM (Any serevice provider), while in the UK, for the 'first' time activation, you will always have UK app catalog access. I am not sure if anything has changed lately, but I can assure you that as long as you use a local SIM, irrespective of company, to activate the phone while physically in the country, you shall always have access to that country's 'app catalog'.

Sanjay. There are numerous reports of people buying Pre2s and activating them in the correct country (say in Germany) but with the wrong carrier sim card and loosing access to new paid apps. Just do a search of PreCentral forums. I also specifically contacted Palm support before buying a Pre2 and was told if I activated it with a 3 card I would keep my existing paid apps, but would not be able to purchase new paid apps. So had to borrow an O2 card from a friend.

I think HPs intended position changed when they launched the unlocked Pre2, but took a while to actually implement the country v.s carrier restriction. Although their support pages have been updated twice and at least they correctly state the current geographical only restrictions, their web based app description pages still thinks there are carrier based restrictions in place and says: "Supported Carriers: AT&T, O2 Germany, O2 Ireland, O2 UK, Rogers Wireless, SFR, Sprint, Verizon Wireless".
    Quote Originally Posted by kiukiukiu View Post
    If anyone got their Pre 3 today, could you please extract /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.first-use and /usr/palm/services
    So that Rod and modify Impostah if needed?
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...-impostah.html

Will the guide work for unlocking the appcatalog for us receiving our HP Pre 3's in the coming days?
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    I activated my Pre3 using a TalkMobile sim card in the UK

and I have just purchased an app successfully
    I have just send my the firstuse app from my Pre 3 to Rod. Hope he can make necessary change to Impostah for us. Thanks

Update: Impostah doesn't work yet. It gives an error saying SKU not available. Stay tuned
    Last edited by kiukiukiu; 08/17/2011 at 10:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amohazab View Post
    Sanjay. There are numerous reports of people buying Pre2s and activating them in the correct country (say in Germany) but with the wrong carrier sim card and loosing access to new paid apps. Just do a search of PreCentral forums. I also specifically contacted Palm support before buying a Pre2 and was told if I activated it with a 3 card I would keep my existing paid apps, but would not be able to purchase new paid apps. So had to borrow an O2 card from a friend.

I think HPs intended position changed when they launched the unlocked Pre2, but took a while to actually implement the country v.s carrier restriction. Although their support pages have been updated twice and at least they correctly state the current geographical only restrictions, their web based app description pages still thinks there are carrier based restrictions in place and says: "Supported Carriers: AT&T, O2 Germany, O2 Ireland, O2 UK, Rogers Wireless, SFR, Sprint, Verizon Wireless".
    I fail to understand how or more importantly why would the 'App catalog' be restricted by 'carrier'. As silly as it may be, I can still understand there being geo restrictions, but restrictions within the same country by 'carrier' is totally beyond my comprehension. As a matter of fact, I don't understand how they can apply such a restriction considering that HP has been selling the Pre+ and Pre 2 "UNLOCKED" in parts of Europe and in fact in the case of the Pre 2 even in the US. Considering that there is no official carrier for the Pre 3, atleast not yet, how and on what basis will HP lockout the 'app catalog' to any particular carrier? Bottom line, with the Pre 3 being sold 'unlocked' and independent of any carriers, how can there be such a thing as a "wrong carrier sim card"?

PS: For those who bought the 'unlocked' Pre 2 and were denied access to paid apps, simply because they used the "wrong carrier sim card" to activate, ought to have been able to get HP to replace the phone. I certainly would have raised quite a fuss and made them replace it.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 08/18/2011 at 06:32 AM.

I fail to understand how or more importantly why would the 'App catalog' be restricted by 'carrier'. As silly as it may be, I can still understand there being geo restrictions, but restrictions within the same country by 'carrier' is totally beyond my comprehension. As a matter of fact I don't uinderstand how they can apply such a restriction considering that HP has been selling the Pre+ and Pre 2 "UNLOCKED" in parts of Europe and in fact in the case of the Pre 2 even in the US. Considering that there is no official carrier for the Pre 3, atleast not until now, how and what basis will HP lockout the 'app catalog' to any particular carrier. Bottom line, with the phones being sold 'unlocked', how can there be
    such a thing as a "wrong carrier sim card"?
    It is indeed beyond belief that it could happen, but I will not be surprised if it does, and in fact I will assume that it will happen unless proven otherwise based on history.

When I get my Pre 3, I will be activating it with Impostah. I will not trust that activation in Australia will result in paid apps without intervention.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by kiukiukiu View Post
    Update: Impostah doesn't work yet. It gives an error saying SKU not available. Stay tuned
    So as of right now, there is no point in buying a Pre 3 for those that live in "unofficial" countries, right? I personally am interested only in the US app catalog and as I understand, currently the only way for me to get access to the US app catalog, would be to have the Pre 3 sent to the US for it to be activated using an AT&T sim. Right?
    Last edited by Sanjay; 08/18/2011 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It is indeed beyond belief that it could happen, but I will not be surprised if it does, and in fact I will assume that it will happen unless proven otherwise based on history.

When I get my Pre 3, I will be activating it with Impostah. I will not trust that activation in Australia will result in paid apps without intervention.

-- Rod
    It's no wonder, that webOS is in the state that it is. First Palm and subsequently HP, have done everything to keep people from buying and enjoying webOS products. What I keep wondering, is why no one has asked HP to explain their logic behind all the stupid restrictions that they impose on the app catalog.

What I keep wondering, is why no one has asked HP to explain their logic behind all the stupid restrictions that they impose on the app catalog.
    You obviously haven't watched my Twitter feed over the last two years ...

-- Rod
    bevcraw likes this.
  19.    #19  
    I fail to understand how or more importantly why would the 'App catalog' be restricted by 'carrier'. As silly as it may be, I can still understand there being geo restrictions, but restrictions within the same country by 'carrier' is totally beyond my comprehension. ......

PS: For those who bought the 'unlocked' Pre 2 and were denied access to paid apps, simply because they used the "wrong carrier sim card" to activate, ought to have been able to get HP to replace the phone. I certainly would have raised quite a fuss and made them replace it.
    I guess the original intention was to restrict by country only, but Palm oddly implemented it via the carrier selection. Therefore a non partner carrier was simply not recognised and the respective phone was treated accordingly. RedMist has already activated his Pre 3 with a non-O2, non-Orange/T-mobile sim card, and so HP may have fixed this issue by simply adding other carrier names to their database (as simple as it sounds, I guess that is the basic solution). Why it took them so long, and why (some) pre2 buyers had to suffer, is beyond me.

My knowledge is from some months ago, but based on the forum messages at least a couple of guys did get replacement phones from HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You obviously haven't watched my Twitter feed over the last two years ...

-- Rod
    Nope. Just recently got into the whole tweeting business and have thus only followed your tweets for a few weeks. I can only imagine you must have hounded them quite a bit. But were you able to get any kind of logical answer?
    Last edited by Sanjay; 08/18/2011 at 12:56 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast