Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    Check out the Euro Spec page of the Pre3 - says HP Mobile hot spot!

Awsome if thats built in and a HP app, no more freetether needed? Makes sence- no need NOT to have this on every phone- except the QQ of Verizon, Sprint and AT&T wanting to charge for this service.
    I have it already on my Veer, and I believe the Euro Veer also has it.

Except I think the AT&T version doesn't work with my carrier.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    the app is there, but USING the app will probably cost money...
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Indeed. I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan on my AT&T sim that I would have to drop to get a tiered data plan with hotspot capability. Pretty lame since my Symbian phones had Joikuspot which worked free of any charges (Freetether works but has a horrible, battery-killing bug on Veer).
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    My Verizon Pre+ has 5GB of data usage on my hot spot for free. As far as I know this applies to all webOS phones on Verizon. One of the best features of the phone for me.

I hate browsing on the phone unless I have to so both my laptop and Touchpad are connected to my hot spot when I'm away from home.
    Confirmed on RedMists unboxing it does have MHS.

My UK Pre2 doesn't have MHS. Maybe it could come in an update, but Freetether seems to work fine for me for now.
    I assumed it works just like any tethering system... you can see on RedMist's video, it says when you boot up:

"Welcome to HP mobile hotspot

You need a special data feature from your carrier in order to use HP mobile hotspot. While mobile hotspot is active, on-device features will continue to work and will use the mobile hotspot data feature allowance"

Now I know its all complicated plans and carrier sub-apps in the US, but in the UK, it just comes under 'tethering charge' as I understand it.

With O2, I have free tethering, so will it just work for me?
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    O2 UK no longer restrict wifi tethering. It's the same ad ur data usage now. However, they will cut data off if u go over.
    Yeah its good, its part of the reason I'm staying with O2: unlimited wifi in hotspots + free tethering is great for someone like me who works in libraries and cafes a lot.

I believe if you go over, they don't cut off, they just throttle.

However, if the HP mobile hotspot app doesn't work/ needs some specific carrier support (which o2 won't have since they won't stock the pre3), then it kindof defeats the purpose!
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    I will check once I have my Pre3 in a couple of days.

I use Freetether with Pre2 and they often send texts to say my allowance is low, please call to discuss mu plan. However, I hardly use more than 750mb tho. Haven't reached the limit and have no intention to try.

My wifi's Veet works great with Mobile Hotspot. She is with O2 Simplicity with 500mb data bolt on.
    Great, if thats the case with veer, I'd be surprised if it didnt' work with the Pre3. Same deal I'm going with: simplicity, 500mb data bolt on.

I can't stand the charge for tethering. Data is data is data, right? Its worryingly close to the US business model for mobile carriers.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Should be fine I suppose.

It's just network providers try to squeeze more fr users. Saying all this, there are a kit of youngsters abuse the data watching YouTube videos all the time. Used to be fairly common I've seen on the tube.

Btw, u might wanna check CPWH to play with 1. My local stores in Harrow have 1 (demo by a staff) very nice to see a working model & def way faster than my Pre2 fr 3 mins of playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by hsukirk View Post
    Should be fine I suppose.

It's just network providers try to squeeze more fr users. Saying all this, there are a kit of youngsters abuse the data watching YouTube videos all the time. Used to be fairly common I've seen on the tube.

Btw, u might wanna check CPWH to play with 1. My local stores in Harrow have 1 (demo by a staff) very nice to see a working model & def way faster than my Pre2 fr 3 mins of playing.
    Been popping into bestbuy Hayes and CPW chiswick everyday this week, but no dummy phone let alone live demo. The guys who work there are starting to give me funny looks

Dunno, I'm verging on pulling the trigger this evening to be honest. Where did you order yours from? I'm verging on Eurostore, since they seem to have 'touchstone for pre 3' in stock.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    I was surprised to see it in CPWH tbh but rather pleasant to finally see it in the flesh. iPhone 3G size but slightly thicker.

Ordered mine originally fr Clove but jumped to HP Europe store after seeing the price. Haven't heard anything fr them. Their phone no is invalid and nothing fr email either.

I would probably order fr box.co.UK seems thru ate v quick at the same price. (I was unable to add amy accessories when I ordered via Europe store btw.)