Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 67
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    Not only did the 7-inch Touchpad hit the FCC today, but there was an interesting Class II Permissive change for all versions of the Pre 3.

    I'll let HP's letter to the FCC do the explaining:

    Dear Examiner,

    This is to request a Class II permissive change for FCC ID: B94HHF30CN, originally granted on 4/25/2011.

    The only change filed under this application is to add a new accessory - Touchstone Audio Dock. The phone was originally certified to work with the wireless charger — HP Touchstone/Part No: 157-10123-00 — at fundamental frequency of 3.1 MHz. In this Class II permissive change filing, an alternate wireless charger — HP Touchstone Audio Dock/Model No: HSTNH-T32C is added. Therefore, the phone is capable of transmitting at both 3.1 MHz and 6 MHz fundamental frequencies. There is no hardware / software changes on the phone. 6 MHz functionality was original built in phone.
    https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...#39;B94HHF30CV'
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Not only did the 7-inch Touchpad hit the FCC today, but there was an interesting Class II Permissive change for all versions of the Pre 3.

    I'll let HP's letter to the FCC do the explaining:



    https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...#39;B94HHF30CV'

    So for the less intellectually endowed of us that means what? Touchstone dock with speakers and wireless audio transmission?
  3.    #3  
    One can only speculate at this time. My assumption is that there will be some sort of new Touchstone dock with a 3.5mm audio jack on it, which will allow you to place your Pre 3 on the Touchstone and have it start playing audio through your stereo or a set of speakers attached to the Touchstone.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  4. #4  
    That's awesome! Is there anyone that enjoys reading technical jargon and can tell if the TouchPad was also certified to work at the 6 mhz frequency?
  5.    #5  
    The permissive change was only for the Pre 3, at least so far. There is no mention of the 6 MHz band on any devices other than the Pre 3 at this point.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  6. #6  
    awesome find!
  7. #7  
    Hmm.. I wonder why 6 MHz.

    It would be way more compatible if they just went with A2DP. Then it'll be compatible with all phones.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    The permissive change was only for the Pre 3, at least so far. There is no mention of the 6 MHz band on any devices other than the Pre 3 at this point.


    Plus, the Touchpad speakers are pretty good anyway. I suspect that such a Touchpad dock would be so niche as to be not worth producing.
    Last edited by Andyf; 08/16/2011 at 10:40 AM.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyf View Post
    Plus, the Touchpad speakers are pretty good anyway. I suspect that such a Touchpad dock would be so niche as to be not worth producing.
    What does this have to do with the TouchPad?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  10.    #10  
    Pre 3 already has A2DP so there was no reason to add A2DP to the Touchstone dock. This is strictly for communicating audio between the Touchstone dock and the Pre 3, so it's a convenience thing, just like the charging. Set the Pre 3 on the dock, it charges, and now it has instant audio output via the TS.

    Again, all speculation at this point.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyf View Post
    So for the less intellectually endowed of us that means what? Touchstone dock with speakers and wireless audio transmission?
    Yes. Given the 6Ghz frequency they are talking about, I suspect this is an extension of touch-to-share, whereby music is shared by Pre3 to a an external set of speakers complete with wireless charging. And with some luck with Beats Audio. Cool. The only thing I not too keen in is that it will still use Bluetooth A3DP as the actual sharing medium once TTS coils have done their magic, so the sound quality transmitted from the Pre3 will not be much to write home about.

    If I remember correctly, HP did mention a while back that TS2 will have identification coils along the line of TTS that will let the Pre know where it is and which exhibition mode to go into. So the music broadcast via Bluetooth would be a new exhibition mode. Way to go HP, just now incorporate apt-X into yoru future products ;-)
    Last edited by Amohazab; 08/16/2011 at 10:42 AM.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    What does this have to do with the TouchPad?
    oh someone asked if the touchpad had 6MHz compatability as well, thats all
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Pre 3 already has A2DP so there was no reason to add A2DP to the Touchstone dock. This is strictly for communicating audio between the Touchstone dock and the Pre 3, so it's a convenience thing, just like the charging. Set the Pre 3 on the dock, it charges, and now it has instant audio output via the TS.
    What I was thinking was a Touchstone dock that can receive audio, then play it via connected speakers. That's my guess on what they mean by "Touchstone Audio Dock".

    If it was A2DP instead of this 6 MHz RF, then no matter which phone you dock audio will work, not just the Pre 3.

    Unless I'm missing something here.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Amohazab View Post
    Yes. Given the 6Ghz frequency they are talking about, I suspect this is an extension of touch-to-share, whereby music is shared by Pre3 to a an external set of speakers complete with wireless charging. And with some luck with Beats Audio. Cool. The only thing I not too keen in is that it will still use Bluetooth as the actual sharing medium, so the sound quality transmitted from the Pre3 will not be much to write home about.
    Bluetooth is not part of this. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $6$ $MHz$ $band$ $used$ $here$ $is$ $just$ $as$ $proprietary$ $as$ $the$ $3$.$1$ $MHz$ $band$ $already$ $used$ $between$ $the$ $TS$ $and$ $all$ $TS$-$capable$ $phones$ $to$ $communicate$ $battery$ $information$ $to$ $the$ $TS$. $There$ $is$ $no$ $reason$ $at$ $this$ $point$ $to$ $assume$ $that$ $the$ $audio$ $being$ $transmitted$ $over$ $the$ $6$ $MHz$ $band$ $will$ $utilize$ $anything$ $having$ $to$ $do$ $with$ $Bluetooth$.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  15. #15  
    SICK!!!!
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Bluetooth is not part of this. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $6$ $MHz$ $band$ $used$ $here$ $is$ $just$ $as$ $proprietary$ $as$ $the$ $3$.$1$ $MHz$ $band$ $already$ $used$ $between$ $the$ $TS$ $and$ $all$ $TS$-$capable$ $phones$ $to$ $communicate$ $battery$ $information$ $to$ $the$ $TS$. $There$ $is$ $no$ $reason$ $at$ $this$ $point$ $to$ $assume$ $that$ $the$ $audio$ $being$ $transmitted$ $over$ $the$ $6$ $MHz$ $band$ $will$ $utilize$ $anything$ $having$ $to$ $do$ $with$ $Bluetooth$.
    I just edited my original comment. But I think the 6Ghz frequency is used to identify the TS to the Pre3 and possibly initiate the handshake. Bluetooth will then be very likely used for the actual media transmission as is with TTS for url tramsmission.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Amohazab View Post
    I just edited my original comment. But I think the 6Ghz frequency is used to identify the TS to the Pre3 and possibly initiate the handshake. Bluetooth will then be very likely used for the actual media transmission as is with TTS for url tramsmission.
    No, 3.1 MHz is used to identify the TS to the Pre 3. 3.1 MHz has been there from the beginning, when Palm created the Touchstone. The 6 MHz band is something completely new as of the Touchstone Audio Dock, so it is definitely what it will use for the audio transmission.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    No, 3.1 MHz is used to identify the TS to the Pre 3. 3.1 MHz has been there from the beginning, when Palm created the Touchstone. The 6 MHz band is something completely new as of the Touchstone Audio Dock, so it is definitely what it will use for the audio transmission.
    You mean Touchstone2. The original Palm TS only has one coil operating at 120Khz.

    As you say it is all conjecture at this point, but it would be yet another very silly thing of HP to do by abandoning Bluetooth and all the work already done and invent its own 6Mhz solution along with the required software stacks, (+ the obligatory bugs), etc. And 6Mhz as a transmission frequency for music just has to be such an odd choice.

    I will still maintain they will use Bluetooth for music transmission. Just plain silly not to.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Amohazab View Post
    You mean Touchstone2. The original Palm TS only has one coil operating at 120Khz.
    I don't know where you are getting your information from, but that is not correct. You can go back and view the FCC documents for the original Touchstone and find that it communicates with the phone at 3.1 MHz. You will also find that every Touchstone-capable phone filed since then includes the 3.1 MHz band. Even the Touchpad and its new Touchstone use 3.1 MHz. The 6 MHz band mentioned in the Touchstone Audio Dock has never appeared until now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Amohazab View Post
    I will still maintain they will use Bluetooth for music transmission. Just plain silly not to.
    It's silly to assume that it would use Bluetooth. It would require that the user to pair the phone with the dock, and it would require them to have the BT radio turned on in order to use this new functionality. Also the facts are against you. If the 6 MHz band is not being used for audio transmission, and we already know the 3.1 MHz is used for regular TS communication, then what is the brand new 6 MHz band for?
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  20.    #20  
    BTW there is no Touchstone 2. The part number in the letter quoted above, 157-10123-00, is Palm's part number for the Touchstone.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions