Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    There are now at least two retailers in the UK that have confirmed the Pre3 in stock (and in one case already dispatched all units, expecting more tomorrow), with a few more retailers stating deliveries next week. It is also available next week in Germany according to HPs own web site.

Yet there is no advertising or official HP statement or press release. Would this be the lesson HP learnt from the TP launch? Are they shipping in the UK and Germany to early adopters to sort out any kinks and bugs? If that is the case, then I think it is a very good idea, but just let's hope the official release will be well before Apple's iPhone 5 announcement.

If the above is not the case, then I know as of tomorrow morning, quite a few UK users will have their hands on the Pre 3. In that case, there is really no reason for HP to enforce their NDA/embargo on Pre 3 review reports. I am sure Precentral and Webosroundup already have their full reviews done and are ready to publish.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    At the moment (and obviously that could change), looks like a repeat of the UK Pre 2 launch, pushed out with no publicity to die in the cold. Maybe there is a massive Promotional thingy just around the corner but I doubt it.
    I want a Pre3 and will pay full retail for one. Can I buy a UK unit and use it on the ATT network in the USA? Will the "$" be labelled as Euro?

EDIT: I just looked at the http://www.box.co.uk/HP_Palm_Pre3_Sim_Free_1106969.html web site. The keyboard looks the same as my Pre+.

EDIT2: $573! Maybe I will wait a bit.
    Last edited by swieder; 08/16/2011 at 09:40 AM.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    I want a Pre3 and will pay full retail for one. Can I buy a UK unit and use it on the ATT network in the USA? Will the "$" be labelled as Euro?

EDIT: I just looked at the Sim Free HP Palm Pre 3 web site. The keyboard looks the same as my Pre+.
    I have a Pre2 UK version and the alternative character on the "h" button is $, so you should be safe, but I bet there will be pictures from the happy UK Pre3 owners from tomorrow on and you can check it out for yourself.

The Euro version of Pre3 will work on the AT&T network, yes but there are provisions governing how well it works there. The specs sheets list the Euro Pre3 as quad band, which means it will be fully and completely compatible with both of the frequency bands that AT&T uses for voice and the main one for data. However, we have seen errors on spec sheets before. The implication is that your Euro phone, if not "quad band", it may not get full reception in all areas where a US specific model might. So again, you better wait till the units are in the hands of the users (or HP has lifted the embargo on review units) and double check.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    At the moment (and obviously that could change), looks like a repeat of the UK Pre 2 launch, pushed out with no publicity to die in the cold. Maybe there is a massive Promotional thingy just around the corner but I doubt it.
    Its just sad, if hp doesn't care for phones, release webos to htc or samsung for smartphone only.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Ok, at least they announced the Veer's launch date ahead of time.

This is the softest of all launches this year! Did anyone see this coming?
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkOne View Post
    Ok, at least they announced the Veer's launch date ahead of time.

This is the softest of all launches this year! Did anyone see this coming?
    I *think* that when the Pre2 came out in the UK, a HP employee mentioned it on Twitter? Have we even had that this time? Is it announced anywhere on the HP website?
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    haha, I think this is soft launch taken to a new level!
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Hey... HP can only do one (1) thing at a time pal. Launching and promoting @ the same time? Whadda U thinkin'? That would require coordination and deep thought, not HP's forte as we know by now.........;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post

EDIT: I just looked at the Sim Free HP Palm Pre 3 web site. The keyboard looks the same as my Pre+.

EDIT2: $573! Maybe I will wait a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Its just sad, if hp doesn't care for phones, release webos to htc or samsung for smartphone only.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk

I want to know what the heck you guys are thinking, seriously

Do you watch TV at all? I see webOS commercials literally all the time now. Every channel, touchpad this, veer that, webos this, webos that. It's everywhere. The rampant webOS hate has got to stop........

Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    haha, I think this is soft launch taken to a new level!
    It kinda makes sense though. While some people (on PreCentral) really want the Pre3, including myself, most people, also including myself, know this phone no longer has what it takes to make a big time impact. Who honestly expected HP to try and market this phone when we all know it is overshadowed by every other OS's late-summer/fall release hardware? Then again, they could have at least told us it was coming...

If the prediction of a 3-carrier launch on the CDMA forum is true then we will all be able to buy the Pre3 this time next month. Truth be told, that prediction precisely agrees with what my sprint tech told me in July.

I bet HP will wait at least a month after the US launch date before announcing a "slab" phone so as not to cannibalize Pre3 sales. It makes sense to sneak the Pre3 in through the back door if there is a true flagship phone announcement on the horizon.

Anyway, UK guys: I'm jealous!
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    Calling a "soft launch" is too generous.

The Pre 3 is on pace to become the smartphone industry's best-kept secret.
    alonhzn likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Calling a "soft launch" is too generous.

That's what it feels like. As far as how hard HP will market it, who knows. The Veer has been marketed by HP pretty well but it's yet to be seen if they will do the same for the Pre 3.

At this point it's pointless speculation.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    priceless
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    The rampant webOS hate has got to stop........

Man, you have to admit there is some strange things happening with HP perception of ultra mobile computing market. Can you honestly say this is how you imagined WebOS future when HP bought Palm and announced they are "doubling down" WebOS.
    Sneaking into market Pre3 was not my vision of their words...
    Once it's in the US on at least one carrier you'll see plenty of commercials just like you did for the Veer and Touchpad. I have no idea why they're pulling this Pre 2 style release plan again, though.
    Come play with my Twitter.
    Last few days was like watching Bigfoot or UFO sightings reports - a guy saw it in Germany, and other one saw it in UK, and some could swore he briefly saw it in France...
    That is really unexplainable to me why HP took same approach as with Pre2. I would really love if someone could explain.
    reason for the soft launch is because hp is quietly killing of the last of pre phone/name
    Soft doesn't cut it, this is flaccid.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigferret View Post
    Soft doesn't cut it, this is flaccid.
    Does that revelation come from personal experience?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    WebOSMember likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast