Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    I would say its still too early to tell. Several UK online retailers have them but they have always been releasing earlier than others based on my experience. Carphonewarehouse, Orange & T-Mobile will be selling them in the UK which accounts more or less 50% of high street phone shops. Probably not as many marketing as iPhone but who else does.

It certainly isn't as much publicity as original Pre via O2 but seems far better comparing to everything other webOS phones at this stage.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Really at the moment, it's a 'release' it's not a launch.

& T-Mobile
    Where did you hear this?
    Orange have said that they WON'T, at least in the near future.

I would be very surprised to see it in any carrier shop in the high street for the foreseeable future.

I think it'll be down to:
    -very good CPW sales on contract
    -very good sim only sales
    -excellent reviews
    -a reasonable amount of hype (be it from reviews, advertising, or whatever)

...before any of the major carriers start featuring it in their stores.

The unfortunate truth is that the problems with the Pre at O2, combined with very little or no advertising of WebOS/Palm/HP in the UK means that it is very possible that this phone will turn out similar to the Pre2, at least over this side of the pond.

Not that I think it certainly will... If its as good a phone as it seems, and there aren't nagging hardware/software issues, I think it could do well, as long as HP make some effort to get it known. You can't rely on the internet alone, particularly as a large percentage of 'independent reviewer' sites are really just defending 'their brand' (usually Apple from what I can see), and will review competing devices badly regardless of how good the device actually is.
    Last edited by Andyf; 08/17/2011 at 04:51 AM.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Really at the moment, it's a 'release' it's not a launch.

Where did you hear this?
    My local carphonewarehouses. 2 different ones so I assume might be rather accurate.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hsukirk View Post
    My local carphonewarehouses. 2 different ones so I assume might be rather accurate.
    Ah - carphone warehouse offering it on their tarrifs as a dealer is a different thing to a carrier supporting it. As andy mentioned, I see in a Zdnet article orange have confirmed they are not selling it.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    This article says that they have had replies from the major networks in the UK:
    Mobile operators say no to hp pre 3- The Inquirer

All saying they won't stock the Pre3 in the near future. I guess its confirmed then.

I have no idea what percentage of sales and upgrades are through Carrier stores rather than places like Carphone Warehouse, but as I say, its not great news.

Lets just hope theres some Ad drive, and it sells well, then perhaps some will change their minds.
    Shipping one phone to one guy in Europe might set a record for the softest launch ever. No carrier announcements, no ads.

The only way I can think to make it a softer launch than this would be to have a guy named Vinnie sells a Pre3 out of his trunk just off of Times Square. "Hey buddy, look at dis..."

OK, I thought of a softer launch. A guy named Vladimir sells a Pre3 out of his coat near Moscow. "Привет друг, посмотри на это."
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/17/2011 at 12:16 PM.
    It's definitely odd that we haven't heard anything more from HP about a US carrier launch. I suspect there's some hot-and-heavy last minute AT&T negotiations going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    A guy named Vladimir sells a Pre3 out of his coat near Moscow. "Привет друг, посмотри на это."
    Last edited by chalx; 08/18/2011 at 02:03 AM.
  10.    #30  
    Looking at the comments from the few people who already have the Pre3 and also some of the questions, I think HP has been right to keep this low profile for now. Some of the issues are:

- Not all mojo apps have been made available for the larger screen
    - Preware and hence Backup/restore is obviously not working on Pre 3 and so transferring data not backed up by Palm will not be that seamless
    - HP has not yet managed to make the Doctor available for Pre3
    - OS2.2 release notes are not available
    - Some of the OS2.1 and 2.01 annoyances are still present (eg SMS freeze)

By doing a "real" soft release, as compared with the TP's so called soft release, HP will be able to have enough units in the field to:

- get all the developers to test their Pre3 releases in the real world
    - finish modifying their own apps not yet running on the Pre 3 (eg facebook)
    - be made aware of real issues that its own limited field testing did not identify (I bet having experienced the TP/OS3.0 fiasco, HP no longer trust their own internal field testers as much as they really should)
    - get an idea of which existing bugs needs to get the most attention based on consumer feedback, not on their own assumptions
    - Meet their announced "summer" release schedule and hence keep some of the die hard fans happy

They will then be able to release the product more formally either with the most critical issues already fixed, or (hopefully) acknowledged before the reviewers highlight them - to take the fire out of their mouths so to say.

Given that the OS3.02 update was released only a few weeks after TP's launch, there is a good chance that the US Pre3 launch may be a much more successful event in terms of meeting reliability and functionality expectations.
    BlueTuna likes this.
    Its no doubt too far down the line to have the US units ship with an updated OS, but perhaps they'll be just about there when the US units go on sale.

Its also possible that the proper 'global release' will happen at the US release date.
    HP sent a Pre 3 to RedMist in the UK.

So does that mean that the Pre 3 really did launch?
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    HP sent a Pre 3 to RedMist in the UK.

So does that mean that the Pre 3 really did launch?

Also it's effective life was two days - is that a record?
    milominderbinde likes this.
    Now finally, we, guys from Serbia, Rumania, Bulgaria, former Soviet republics and central Africa can enjoy HP WebOS devices which HP will ship in our countries for prices of 500 EUR and over blackmailing their business partners in this countries to buy them.
    LOL...The joke's on us. Thanks HP!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12