Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    HP is having a Q3 2011 Hewlett-Packard Earnings Conference Call August 18th. Investors will be listening to the future plans of HP. Hopefully they will say something like "With pre 3 releasing on ------ we expect a billion percent growth that will make Apple crap its pants. Looking ahead to the Fall we are releasing more WebOS devices, Up yours Google and Motorola!"

Sadly, if there is no mention........ WebOS is dead. It just makes sense it would be a news day with them saying way way back that "it would be out in summer"

Mod note - Discussion here... http://forums.precentral.net/hp-webo...utrageous.html
    Last edited by pogeypre; 08/18/2011 at 03:17 PM.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    I don't know... You might be right. But I think webos, particularly in regards to phones, is such a small piece of the giant HP pie that I don't think there will be much focus on it.
    wow if they're about to have a billion percent growth I better buy some stocks now!

Seriously though, I just really hope they announce something soon...
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    wow if they're about to have a billion percent growth I better buy some stocks now!

Seriously though, I just really hope they announce something soon...
    Yeah, I really hope they do too. I have nothing to rush.. but i don't believe it's fair.. It's sorta like we're all a child (Everyone WebOS lover) of A same mom (HP) looking at her asking 'when's daddy coming home?' (Where the eff is our phone?) and she just doesn't even acknowledge you're even there (No news for months!).
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post
    ... But I think webos, particularly in regards to phones, is such a small piece of the giant HP pie that I don't think there will be much focus on it.
    Well, WebOS drained few billions from HP's pocket, so it would be reasonable to expect some mentioning of current progress and near future plans with WebOS.
    I'm looking forward to what they have to say. I really hope they announce sales numbers for the TouchPad so all the naysayers can stop talking smack. I'm pretty sure many people will be surprised how well it has sold, especially with the price drops.

A Pre 3 announcement wouldn't be bad either.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    I'm looking forward to what they have to say. I really hope they announce sales numbers for the TouchPad so all the naysayers can stop talking smack. I'm pretty sure many people will be surprised how well it has sold, especially with the price drops.

A Pre 3 announcement wouldn't be bad either.
    My money is on a statement along the lines of

Sell through was lower than anticipated but with the recent price reduction we expect sales to be strong going forward into the next quarter.

As a rule of thumb, really strong sales of a device get a press statement, poor or average sales get avoided or dragged out in a earnings call.
    Tikkanen and cyberprashant like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    My money is on a statement along the lines of

Sell through was lower than anticipated but with the recent price reduction we expect sales to be strong going forward into the next quarter.
    I believe mentioning of $100 price reduction (20%) would rise some more questions and maybe ask for some figures.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    you should, HPs stock is really cheap at the moment...
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Well, WebOS drained few billions from HP's pocket, so it would be reasonable to expect some mentioning of current progress and near future plans with WebOS.
    Agreed. They'll mention webos. But I think they'll stick to something along the lines of what CGK suggested. I don't think an earnings call is when HP would make an announcement on when the Pre3 will be released. It's just small potatoes compared to HP as a whole. I really hope I'm wrong though.
    Don't think we'll hear anything about an announcement in the earnings call. Seems like it'll be a soft launch just as the Pre2, really hoping not though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianfern92 View Post
    Don't think we'll hear anything about an announcement in the earnings call. Seems like it'll be a soft launch just as the Pre2, really hoping not though.
    pre 3 already out in europe (see main page) - and hp official said u.s. will be "soon" - so 8/18 q3 call would be a perfect time to announce...pre3 will launch on At&t (my prediction is 9/18 as was leaked by webosroundup att internal documents).
    I was speaking of a US launch. Do companies usually announce products in an earnings call? I can see them speaking about it as coming soon to be positive for their investors but they're running out of time if they want to get it out during summer.
    and sprint?
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I think news about the pre3 is a good possibility... (and to think my fiancée got a Veer just today). As for HP talking about WebOS as a whole, I imagine they will since they are betting big on it with the inclusion of it on their laptops and such next year.
    After that All Thing D article about weak TouchPad sales throughout all Best Buy stores, I'm pretty sure there will be plenty webOS talk on this conference call.
    Forgive my ignorance, but those conference calls - what are they?

Telephone conferences where stockholders can call in and ask a spokesperson questions? Ask-and-Tell? I seriously don't know.

Is there any way to listen in to something like that? Would a sane person even want to, or would it be mostly dry financial numbers like how much profit they made per stock and per revenue, and how the trend has been the last four quarters?
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but those conference calls - what are they?

Telephone conferences where stockholders can call in and ask a spokesperson questions? Ask-and-Tell? I seriously don't know.

Is there any way to listen in to something like that? Would a sane person even want to, or would it be mostly dry financial numbers like how much profit they made per stock and per revenue, and how the trend has been the last four quarters?
    The answer is yes to all of your questions. First they (they being the company executives) read long, boring, scripted releases about their earnings and spin everything so it sounds positive for the company going forward. Then they take calls from investors who ask questions that the company will dodge and spin so that they still don't release any interesting information other than what they want announced. And yes you can listen in. (Without looking) I'm sure HP has a "For Investors" link somewhere on their site that would have a link to the conference call.
    Quote Originally Posted by thorataz View Post
    HP is having a Q3 2011 Hewlett-Packard Earnings Conference Call August 18th. Investors will be listening to the future plans of HP. Hopefully they will say something like "With pre 3 releasing on ------ we expect a billion percent growth that will make Apple crap its pants. Looking ahead to the Fall we are releasing more WebOS devices, Up yours Google and Motorola!"

Sadly, if there is no mention........ WebOS is dead. It just makes sense it would be a news day with them saying way way back that "it would be out in summer"
    How do you know they're doing this call? and What time of day is this going to happen?
    Quote Originally Posted by xBlackxBlood View Post
    How do you know they're doing this call? and What time of day is this going to happen?
    The conference call is today, August 18th, at 5:00 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time. You can even listen to a live webast of it here.

And in case that link, above, which to my untrained eye (I'm a real end user), looks like it could be dynamic, you can find a link to the webcast from this MSN news story.

I imagine that there will be a number of board members tuned in to hear what Leo Apotheker and crew have to say.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast