Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Every publicly traded company gives a quarterly conference call to disclose and discuss their earnings. HP's is today at 5pm Eastern. Here's a link from HP's investor relations website:

HP Earnings Conference Call
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    is there any way to submit a question for the call? Does anyone know of a financial reporter who will be on the call to whom we could get to ask about the Pre 3?
    HP stock dropped 3.74% yesterday and is down another 6.5% so far today. Granted the whole market is down today, but not as much as HP. (Ticker symbol HPQ.)

I'll go out on a limb and make a couple of wild a** guesses as to what might be going on in HPQ land.

1) The publicity yesterday was either a rogue disclosure by HPs EU Business Unit or actually a planned leak to either 1) try and stem the tide a bit - or 2) prep for bigger announcements during today's earnings call. It is possible that the EU Bus Unit is not as tightly bound by SEC rules so HP HQ can allow a little slack in what goes out from there without running afoul of SEC rules.

2) Some insiders are hammering HP stock yesterday and today hoping to drive the price down before earnings knowing that todays announcements will drive it back up.

If those are not anywhere near true then another option is that HP is clueless about what is going on today, their earning announcement will be dismal, and the price drops are the result of insiders (again) knowing that and dumping stock before it really tanks.

Disclosure: I'm a part time trader and I currently have no positions in HPQ nor do I plan to this week. Never trade on rumors - especially near earnings. Too many surprises and unless you really have insider info (which is very illegal) you will lose more often than you will win.
    Quote Originally Posted by TexZenFool View Post
    HP stock dropped 3.74% yesterday and is down another 6.5% so far today. Granted the whole market is down today, but not as much as HP. (Ticker symbol HPQ.)

I'll go out on a limb and make a couple of wild a** guesses as to what might be going on in HPQ land.

1) The publicity yesterday was either a rogue disclosure by HPs EU Business Unit or actually a planned leak to either 1) try and stem the tide a bit - or 2) prep for bigger announcements during today's earnings call. It is possible that the EU Bus Unit is not as tightly bound by SEC rules so HP HQ can allow a little slack in what goes out from there without running afoul of SEC rules.

HP board, but the CFO in particular and CEO to a large extent will be in extremely serious trouble (I think max sentence under SOX law is 20 years in prison) if they knowingly allow any business unit anywhere in the world to leak material price sensitive information. They will still be in trouble if they do not design and implement controls to control and stop such leaks.

So the 1st assertion is unlikely to be true.
    Boy were you right about news from HP today!

Thanks HP for doing a half baked job and cooking webOS
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    libray likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amohazab View Post
    HP board, but the CFO in particular and CEO to a large extent will be in extremely serious trouble (I think max sentence under SOX law is 20 years in prison) if they knowingly allow any business unit anywhere in the world to leak material price sensitive information. They will still be in trouble if they do not design and implement controls to control and stop such leaks.

So the 1st assertion is unlikely to be true.
    SOX has nothing to do with information leaks. Its about having controls over the accuracy of financial reporting.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12