Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    They are also offering SD cards as linked products...
    Quote Originally Posted by airotkiv View Post
    They are also offering SD cards as linked products...
    That doesn't help their credibility!
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    I can't see anything about supported bands. Aren't there UNA and UEU variants of this one?

If this supports US 3G I'll try my hand at snapping it up.
    Here's the expected UTMS HSPA + specs of the EU GSM Pre 3, somewhat confirmed by users of the demo devices floating around.

Keep in mind no confirmation has been made whats actually inside the retail EU devices and there won't likely be any until these units hit the streets and can be examined. Here's how the picture has been painted to me.

EU GSM version: Tri Band UTMS HSPA+ 900/1900/2100
    Meaning yes, 3G (AT&T faux 4G) will work on AT&T's network in most North American cities and some rural areas as well as Rogers up in Canada. Without the 850 band, signal strength indoors is likely to be weak. Could lead to dropped calls and/or reduced data speeds while indoors. I'm sharing what I've been told so far, so it is definately second hand information.
    T-Mobile USA, no 3G/faux 4G -only 2G Edge data, some refer to their flavor of Edge data as 2.5G .... They use AWS 1700 MHz for 3G/4G.

Although its very tempting, I'm not willing to pull the trigger on one of these for use in the USA, especially since the USA launch featuring the NA version supporting both 850 and 1900 MHz is liklely right around the corner.

TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    bevcraw likes this.
    I've ordered from Handtec before, pretty solid guys normally. Doesn't stop them from making mistakes or just trying to get sales though.

Maybe they got some Pre2s in and someone stocked them incorrectly
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    On the Handtec page..

"Expected Release: Late July".....

and tweeting "(WE) are expecting a delivery today and another shipment tomorrow"
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    I just called them and asked about stock availability. They said all the units in the first shipment that they received yesterday had been allocated to pre-orders and had been shipped or about to be shipped out.

They are expecting another shipment tomorrow afternoon.

Assuming the above is correct rather than just sales talk (he did ask me to call back tomorrow pm rather than just pre-order, so sounds more genuine), I wonder what is the size of a shipment. 10 units? 50, or a 100?
  7. H
    Did you ask which version it is? (8 or 16)
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    A number of people on twitter are scheduled for delivery tomorrow - so let's see what happens.
    Box.co.uk is listing 'sold out'... I'm pretty sure someone posted that they had 'stock incoming' not long ago...

Also the HP UK site only has 8GB on the Pre 3 specs page, however Clove and Play both list 16GB..

My guess is that only the 8GB will be available in uk, and the sites that say otherwise are yet to be updated. For now at least.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Are we seeing another Pre 2 situation? Whatever stock that HP have is pushed to indifference and no publicity, it's simply released one day with no fanfare and they keep all their promotional money for this mystical slab phone we keep hearing about?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Are we seeing another Pre 2 situation? Whatever stock that HP have is pushed to indifference and no publicity, it's simply released one day with no fanfare and they keep all their promotional money for this mystical slab phone we keep hearing about?
    How do you mean, what happened with Pre2?
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    The truth in the world of palm is ussually sad so I will agree with you.
    I fail to see what is sad about 1.4Ghz combined with WebOS. My OCed Pixi runs fairly well at 800mhz. The Veer runs very well at 800mhz. I'm sure the Pre3 will keep up with you and then some.

so the Pre3s on Handtec are the non-US?
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyf View Post
    How do you mean, what happened with Pre2?
    One day it simply appeared for sale on HP's website and from Sim-only retailers - there was no promotional push behind it and most people never knew it existed. At the time, people said that the logic was that it was simply being pushed out for developers and wasn't a 'proper' release.*

* at least that's how I remember it going down.

Quote Originally Posted by Xethur

so the Pre3s on Handtec are the non-US?
    Yep, those are for European GSM markets - some people say they have ordered and should have delivery tomorrow, so we'll have to see if they do.
    Well I think that is exactly what is happening then! Stock is apparently arriving at online vendors over the coming weeks (and evidently has already arrived at some), and will be sent of as and when, totally without fanfare. This is of course totally reliant on tech enthusiasts.

It'll really come down to whether carriers end up picking it up and providing advertising and exposure that way. At least Mobiles.co.uk (and therefore CPW??) is offering on contract which is a (small) step better than Pre2.

I hope there are enough rave reviews and good comments about durability and non-bugginess, along with sufficient SIM only demand to tempt the major carriers.

EDIT: although to be fair, I'd say I'm down a level from 'tech enthusiast' and I know about Pre3 - I've never had a smartphone and still use a battered K800i. That is partly because no smartphone did what I wanted though:
    -not apple
    -slider form factor, with physical k/b
    -reliable enough
    -not Blackberry OS
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    The thing about T-mobile here in the USA(as I understand it), is that while they use the 1900MHz frequency(which is supported by many devices), many devices don't use 1900MHz for 3G, so that is why T-mobile doesn't get 3G support by these devices.

When it comes to the single-core 1.4GHz processor, remember that three quarters of the people buying devices go by reading the specs of the phone, rather than because the phone has a better OS or runs better. These are the same sorts of people who thought a 3GHz Pentium 4 was faster than a 2.2GHz Athlon 64 just because of the clock speed, and then were shocked to find out that 2.2GHz Athlon 64 was faster in most applications.

Hype, it is what has driven sales of Apple products for a long time, and without it, if people tried out the different phones and then decided which was better, the iPhone would not sell all that well compared to the other phones out there. Many people who buy an iPhone do it because it is popular, and have never even bothered to download a single app.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Not that it really matters, but mobiles.co.uk did sell the Pre2 on contract.
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    I sadly had to buy some pixi's fro employee's last week and the rep sent me an email this morning telling me they are going EOL on the 17th (incase I wanted more). Making room for pre3?
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    Not that it really matters, but mobiles.co.uk did sell the Pre2 on contract.
    Oh did they? Oh

Well then this is precisely like the Pre 2 launch so far!
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    When it comes to the single-core 1.4GHz processor, remember that three quarters of the people buying devices go by reading the specs of the phone, rather than because the phone has a better OS or runs better.
    Three quarters? I'd say more like 5%. The grand majority just looks first at the price and if it's "nice". We geeks are in the minority here.

Many people who buy an iPhone do it because it is popular, and have never even bothered to download a single app.
    Yeah, and definitely not because it has the best spec sheet of all the phones around.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast