Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
  1.    #1  
    Can I get some feedback from the "Pre3 is only gonna come in 2012" / "HP dropped the ball" / "HP is unable to release stuff when they say they would" crew about the fact that the Pre3 is now officially going to be launched in late August and early September?

What's your take on this perfectly on-schedule launch? HP said they'd release a new device every two months and now we have proof that they meant it, AND that they're pulling through on it.

How do you reconciliate your incessant apocalyptic talk about the end of webOS with the fact that HP is pushing new devices so quickly and, more importantly, so punctually? Because since the release of the Veer, all devices have been right on time in HP's two-month rhythm.
    Please no historical "but PALM..." replies, thanks. This isn't about ancient history, it's about the present.

Where do you get off saying HP isn't meeting deadlines?
    Is it because you're inventing arbitrary deadlines that HP isn't meeting? Because I think it's much too late for you to invent such arbitrary deadlines, you should've released those in January when they would have been fresh and attractive, so all fictitious deadlines by which, according to you, HP should have released the Pre3 are DOA.

Can you show me another business-oriented phone that I will be able to buy within the next two weeks that has a physical keyboard, a 1.4GHz processor, a nice big screen and front-facing camera, in the ~€400 (off contract) class of smartphones?
    No? How can you call it "outdated" then?
    Please no announced phones to come "in the coming months" because I've heard somewhere on the internet that phones announced more than a few days before release are inherently DOA and outdated, which isn't even touching on what a pathetic joke "in the coming [timeframe]" is. Thanks.

Thank you in advance
    LordSecksie likes this.
    Where do you get the "official" from?

Ah.
    http://www.precentral.net/hp-germany...cted-1-2-weeks
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Have I missed something? Please link the announcements from
    att, vzw, and/or sprint to confirm please.
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Clearly this is the "launch" they intended half a year ago. I'm sure of it.
    At this point i or some of us will believe it when it acutally gets released. still, since i got the veer, im not in a hurry anymore. since the veer apps is lacking, i hope the pre 3 gets more apps rolling-plus i am more interested in when it will get released in the u.s

wouldnt really say 3.58" is a big screen. without out document editing, how can you really say the pre 3 is a business phone? but im not in business, just an average consumer. guess will find out how it performs to expectation when it actually gets released....

either way, glad to hear something. Cant wait for the reviews...
    Last edited by c_legaspi; 08/15/2011 at 01:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Can you show me another business-oriented phone that I will be able to buy within the next two weeks that has a physical keyboard, a 1.4GHz processor, a nice big screen and front-facing camera, in the ~400 (off contract) class of smartphones?

myTouch 4G Slide

Done.

Droid 3
    HTC G2
    I know the two above don't fit all of your criteria but your criteria is silly. The phones I listed above have dual-core and 4G which is way more important to some people then a front facing camera.

Plus these are going to be competitors to the Pre3 and you just have to accept it.
  7. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Well, I'm not one of the ones who berated HP, but for a US-based company to announce a launch at a presentation held in the US, and then launch only overseas? That's not meeting launch promises as I see it. Technically they met their commitment, but it's kind of like getting on base by getting the runner thrown out at second.

To be fair, maybe they will launch in the US within a month. We'll see.
    As of yet, nothing is official. It's showing up and disappearing from websites for quite some time now.
    Like your post, but I don't think any smartphone can be called business oriented without doc editing. I've never believed HP wants to make smartphones, but I'll be delighted to be proven wrong! Hopefully Quickoffice will be part of the Pre3 release.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Can I get some feedback from the "Pre3 is only gonna come in 2012" / "HP dropped the ball" / "HP is unable to release stuff when they say they would" crew about the fact that the Pre3 is now officially going to be launched in late August and early September?

What's your take on this perfectly on-schedule launch? HP said they'd release a new device every two months and now we have proof that they meant it, AND that they're pulling through on it.

How do you reconciliate your incessant apocalyptic talk about the end of webOS with the fact that HP is pushing new devices so quickly and, more importantly, so punctually? Because since the release of the Veer, all devices have been right on time in HP's two-month rhythm.
    Please no historical "but PALM..." replies, thanks. This isn't about ancient history, it's about the present.

Where do you get off saying HP isn't meeting deadlines?
    Is it because you're inventing arbitrary deadlines that HP isn't meeting? Because I think it's much too late for you to invent such arbitrary deadlines, you should've released those in January when they would have been fresh and attractive, so all fictitious deadlines by which, according to you, HP should have released the Pre3 are DOA.

Can you show me another business-oriented phone that I will be able to buy within the next two weeks that has a physical keyboard, a 1.4GHz processor, a nice big screen and front-facing camera, in the ~€400 (off contract) class of smartphones?
    No? How can you call it "outdated" then?
    Please no announced phones to come "in the coming months" because I've heard somewhere on the internet that phones announced more than a few days before release are inherently DOA and outdated, which isn't even touching on what a pathetic joke "in the coming [timeframe]" is. Thanks.

Thank you in advance
    I will gladly do all of the above when you somehow manage to define that "expected" translates into the units will be on the shelves and available to be purchased.

Might I remind you that is was "expected" that webOS 2.x would run on our Pre- phones, it was "expected" that their would be document editing capabilities on the TouchPad when it was released.....

Don't count your chickens before they hatch. You may be right and it may be there in the "expected" 1 to 2 weeks, but it may not as well.

Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by Mikey47; 08/15/2011 at 01:37 PM.
    Exactly when they said they gonna release it? I only remembered Jon Rubinstein said "summer" in Feb.

Summer is June, July, August, right?

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    I think what happened is that all U.S. carriers (except AT&T) rejected any new HP/WebOS phones for now, so HP is forging ahead with European releases, hoping a decent response overseas will convince U.S. carriers that WebOS is still a viable platform. Time will tell (as it will for the Touchpad).
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepysurf View Post
    I think what happened is that all U.S. carriers (except AT&T) rejected any new HP/WebOS phones for now, so HP is forging ahead with European releases, hoping a decent response overseas will convince U.S. carriers that WebOS is still a viable platform. Time will tell (as it will for the Touchpad).
    So why not releasing on att? Its big, it got veer, why not pre3? I would love that.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by eallan View Post
    Clearly this is the "launch" they intended half a year ago. I'm sure of it.
    Yes, you can be sure of it because half a year ago, they explicitly intended to launch it in "summer", which, now that it is in fact summer, is "now". Miraculous, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    myTouch 4G Slide
    Done.
    Droid 3
    HTC G2
    I know the two above don't fit all of your criteria but your criteria is silly. The phones I listed above have dual-core and 4G which is way more important to some people then a front facing camera.

Plus these are going to be competitors to the Pre3 and you just have to accept it.
    - Droid 3 only has a 1GHz processor (dual-core though). It's WAY more expensive as well as I understand its MSRP to be $599 as opposed to the Pre3's €350. Also doesn't have HSPA+ 4G as far as I know.
    - HTC G2 is ancient and has the 800MHz processor found in the entry-level HP Veer. It also doesn't have a front-facing camera, and isn't HSPA+ 4G.
    - MyTouch 4G only has a single-core 1GHz processor AND is more expensive than the Pre3 (MSRP of $550) even though it's running Android 2.2 which is, in fact, truly outdated.

The Pre3 trumps all of these phones in most respects while managing to be quite a bit cheaper.
    So how do any of them prove that Pre3 is "inferior" or "outdated", which was the context of the question if you will bother to go up and read it again? The question was not "are there any other phones with slightly similar specs". Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by srb151 View Post
    Have I missed something? Please link the announcements from
    att, vzw, and/or sprint to confirm please.
    HP is about to release the Pre3 as per HP's own website. Check the frontpage. If no American carriers want to release it, I do find that sad, but alas since I'm not under the jurisdiction of American carriers, I cannot in full consciousness give any feces about it.
    If you dislike that a faceless, greedy corporation tells you which phones you can or cannot use simply because you chose to give your hard-earned money to that corporation, find a carrier that WILL allow you to buy an off-contract phone and use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    I will gladly do all of the above when you somehow manage to define that "expected" translates into the units will be on the shelves and available to be purchased.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Thank you in advance!
    I'll hold you to it when they start shipping. This gives you a few weeks to try and find good answers that will pull HP through the absolute and utter dirt as well as come up with a few zingers - things you were obviously unable to do today because you'd have posted them (answers and zingers) already in any other case.

Oh, and next time you want to burn me, try using an original catchphrase rather than being a copycat and just plagiarizing the one I used. Haven't you heard that being first is important? Or was that "good artists copy, great artists steal"? Hmmm..,
    Maybe you could try "and that's how Sue 'C's it". Or how about "That's all folks"?
    Thank you in advance
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 08/15/2011 at 01:55 PM.
    HenryAlan likes this.
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    So why not releasing on att? Its big, it got veer, why not pre3? I would love that.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk

Do we know how well the veer sold?
    If only webos runs as fast on the same cpu clock, sigh.

Is this a none US only discussion? Because all of these phones will be $200.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Do we know how well the veer sold?
    Not really, hp has a conference call this thursday, see if anybody will ask about this.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    So why not releasing on att? Its big, it got veer, why not pre3? I would love that...
    I thought I read that the Pre 3 was in the "testing" phase for AT&T, but perhaps it was just rumor. If AT&T does NOT release it, that probably reflects a poor ROI thus far for the Veer. I think the Pre 3 would sell much better than the Veer, but only if they get it released in the next month or so. Otherwise, all us original Pre owners will be forced to jump ship. I'm with Sprint, and would switch to Verizon if they offered the Pre 3, but otherwise will jump to Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepysurf View Post
    I thought I read that the Pre 3 was in the "testing" phase for AT&T, but perhaps it was just rumor. If AT&T does NOT release it, that probably reflects a poor ROI thus far for the Veer. I think the Pre 3 would sell much better than the Veer, but only if they get it released in the next month or so. Otherwise, all us original Pre owners will be forced to jump ship. I'm with Sprint, and would switch to Verizon if they offered the Pre 3, but otherwise will jump to Android.
    AT&T branded test models have been seen a number of times.
    It's a phone for webOS fans only. It doesn't sit well with Enterprise, and it doesn't have great specs for people asking themselves why would I get this phone? HP better be getting their collective **** in gear and pump out a slab with STELLAR Hardware.

I would buy a Pre3 on Sprint, but I'm not going to another carrier for that phone. I can live with the TP without a TTS device.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast