Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    People need to understand that in this age of information being so widely available, silence by companies becomes less acceptable. Game companies that sell $60 computer games are more open about the status of product development than cell phone manufacturers who sell $600 phones($200 with contract).

All of the complaints you see around here are caused by that feeling that information has not been flowing about what SHOULD be the BIG product, the Pre 3, and the niche products in the Veer and Touchpad SHOULD have taken a back seat. All HP had to do to keep the complaints to a minimum would have been to just say if there were any delays, or why the Pre 3 has taken this long to launch, even in vague terms.
    At least if you're waiting for the release of a video game, there probably aren't many other people making that same game, so you HAVE to wait. HP's misconception is that the general public would be willing to wait indefinitely for the Pre 3. But people have options with smartphones...and lots of 'em. By the time you're done reading this sentence, 5 new Android-based phones will have been released. Kidding aside, I know we have that segment of WebOS die-hards who will scream for the rest of the time that HP made their deadline by releasing this phone in the summer. If HP released it at 11:59 pm on the last day of summer, those people would still be defending HP to the death. Deadline or not, they've waited too long. They can release this phone in the UK, Germany, France, Cambodia, Nauru and anywhere else they please. But if doesn't launch and succeed here in the United States, then you can forget about it.
    chalx and eallan like this.
    And HP's BIGGEST mistake is confusing themselves with Apple. When Apple is tight lipped about a comimg product, it generates a mad onslaught rumors about what great new technology or feature Apple has come up with. This turns into a fever pitch of anticipation for the release of whatever product they are working on. Apple has that luxury b/c they've delivered on the goods in the past. HP's 3 product launches since acquiring Palm have been underwhelming at best. When they are tight lipped a product's release all it does it make people think they can't get their act together.
    chalx and bausti25 like this.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    And HP's BIGGEST mistake is confusing themselves with Apple. When Apple is tight lipped about a comimg product, it generates a mad onslaught rumors about what great new technology or feature Apple has come up with. This turns into a fever pitch of anticipation for the release of whatever product they are working on. Apple has that luxury b/c they've delivered on the goods in the past. HP's 3 product launches since acquiring Palm have been underwhelming at best. When they are tight lipped a product's release all it does it make people think they can't get their act together.
    No, Apple doesn't say anything about the specs before the announcement, while HP announced the exact specs over six months before launch, then sticks with those specs, even when they start to look outdated.
    We need to just admit to ourselves that almost a year after the purchase of Palm by HP, there has been virtually no change in the seeming ineptitude of product management. It is still as bad as Palm was. Delays, lack of clear information, then mediocre product once it is finally released. Why should we expect the Pre3 to be any different?

I am slowly becoming so disillusioned by the promises of change and "global scale" by HP in the management and production of webOS products that I am increasingly opening my mind to another (ugh) OS. It's sad really, but I do not see HP making ANY headway in the mobile domain with the way they are doing things at this point. And if they make no headway, they attract NO developers but eventually homebrew, so all NEEDED and BLOCKBUSTER apps never get made for webOS. They are killing themselves in SO many ways from SO many angles.

*sad*

[UPDATE: Kind of ironic that this negative post is my 666th post. Ugh. Too coincidental. ;-) ]
    chalx, eallan and bausti25 like this.
    Oh My Gosh, It continues in here. You people keep the rant going, posting your complaints about HP , about the way they handle marketing and the time it has taken for new devices to roll out in a particular region. You often make throwback inclusions to Palm marketing. Get a grip.

Seriously, theres really no need to take on an attitude. If you are not satisfied with any aspect of the webOS /HP experience or ecosystem then bolt out of here quickly and quietly, PLEASE. The majority of long time webOS aficionados have noticed the recent changes taking place.

Things are looking brighter than ever for webOS and for the devices running it now into the future. Just because there may or may not be a rift between the old Palm and Sprint, or just because you , yes YOU chose to hold onto your aging Pre - for so long until it literally fell apart in your hands is not the manufacturer or the carriers fault. Many devices have been released during this time frame, and you chose to stay with what you have. Clearly you held on to your Pre on its existing carrier because you really do like webOS better than any other mobile OS or because the coverage your carrier provides and/or rates they charge you for that coverage satisfy you or all three of the above, but you chose to do so. Bottom line is you chose to hang on, to hang around. Now there's finally been a positive shift going on in webOS land with HP larglely to thank for that shift, you choose to moan, complain and spew negativity whilst languishing in the past, a past which cannot be changed, no matter how much you moan and complain about it.

I say its about time the whiners and complainers do what they need to do to lead happier lives for themselves. If that means they bolt out of here, then so be it. PLEASE bolt for your droids and your WM7 mobile devices.

Allow those of us webOS lovers who've noticed the recent glimpses of what we all knew was possible from this OS to cherish it and the rediscovered vision of what it can be in the future.
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 08/16/2011 at 10:32 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    I agree, things are looking better and better and it's quite remarkable what HP has been doing in this time, while being such a huge company with so many other products - they're taking webOS serious and I believe will bring it higher and higher.
    Of course I also, being an PalmOS fan still miss alot, specially speed, better and faster handling of the calendar (like with Agendus, which was a 3rd party app), but this has nothing to do with HP...and from what I understand, Palm had spoiled some relations to Devs, where now HP has to pick up and mangage this too...

so I think the sky is blue, or the glas is half full :-) (instead of being half empty)
    Pre3/TP 16GB, Palm Pre Plus, Palm Pixi Plus, Palm Pre, Centro, Treo 680, Treo 650, Palm T3, Treo 270
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Indeed better and better. Await for my Pre3 & Touchpad.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Things are looking brighter than ever for webOS and for the devices running it now into the future...
    eallan likes this.
    Coincidence... my boss is flying in from London in 2 weeks...

I'm so tempted to ask him to help me buy one and bring it to Canada...

I wonder if the Euro Store will allow me to order with a Canadian credit card and ship to UK.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Vij likes this.
    or just because you , yes YOU chose to hold onto your aging Pre - for so long until it literally fell apart in your hands is not the manufacturer or the carriers fault. Many devices have been released during this time frame, and you chose to stay with what you have. Clearly you held on to your Pre on its existing carrier because you really do like webOS better than any other mobile OS or because the coverage your carrier provides and/or rates they charge you for that coverage satisfy you or all three of the above, but you chose to do so. Bottom line is you chose to hang on, to hang around.
    Now I agree with most of your rant and the negative posts really can be annoying, but a lot of us (myself included) kept our aging Sprint Pre- also because of the 2 year contracts as well and didnt want to pay hundreds to terminate a contract or buy a new phone without the 2 year upgrade rebate.

So yes I think we could be mad at the manufacturer for making a phone for a 2 year contract that cant last 2 years. Reasonable no?

But yes most are still here because we like the OS enough to put up with the old hardware, just will be wary of signing a new 2 year deal hoping the new hardware lasts better
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Long rant and stuff
    Believe it or not, people can use a different device and still frequent these forums.

People can hope for webOS devices to actually exist and be competitive without sitting by and using nothing. I have a galaxy s 2 and a thunderbolt. I'd like to have a webOS device, but i'm not going to compromise on non-existent or garbage hardware.

It doesn't take a genius to be discontent with palm/hp's recent history.

I guess I just don't understand the voracious defenders of this awful strategy. You'd think that seeing a huge amount of complaints all the time about the same stuff would give credence to the claims. Android forums rave about awesome new hardware, roms, hacks, etc. Apple forums rave about app and great hardware and how awesome apple is.

HP/palm forums rant about having no hardware choice, horrible future outlooks, and an awful marketing strategy.
    chalx likes this.
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    @ eallan
    I would never want an OS not having a true Multitasking ... I just cannot, I tried ...Android, Apple... no thanks, so I'll be English and drink some tee
    while some others are running and barking :-)
    Pre3/TP 16GB, Palm Pre Plus, Palm Pixi Plus, Palm Pre, Centro, Treo 680, Treo 650, Palm T3, Treo 270
    I have promoted webOS to the ends of the earth with iOS people, Android people, and on twitter with developers. Just check out my twitter stream and see how I have bugged developers about apps for webOS (usually to no avail). I love the OS. But I won't apologize for seeing that HP - the juggernaut that it is - just seems to be moving too slowly in the fast-paced mobile space. That doesn't mean that I am not going to get the Pre3 when it finally does show up on Verizon, but it also doesn't mean that I won't express my opinion on the landscape as it seems.

You can't have it both ways:

Android - tons of devices, some of which get bad/lackluster reviews. But there are still glowing products in that OS arena to choose from.

iOS - ONE device. ONE choice. But one which almost always gets glowing reviews. It gives it the air of being THE device to have. (Steve and Co. have done a great job with this).

webOS - One device at a time (you can't say multiple devices because months occur between single device releases). PLUS mostly lackluster reviews of the hardware across the board.

ONE glowing device.
    Many devices, some good, some lackluster. You have a choice.
    One device. Lackluster reviews. No choice.

That just isn't a good combination. I *want* HP to go gangbusters with webOS. I *want* the unique multitasking abilities of webOS. But if the platform doesn't perform better in the marketplace, there won't be the necessary developers and apps, and in the end that will be the issue for webOS.

Besides, I don't see how rationally commenting on how I see the marketplace going is complaining. Sorry.
    eallan likes this.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    I love WebOS, most of the people who have been complaining love WebOS. The problem has been that if you are here in the USA, the lack of information about a release HERE is enough to drive us crazy. It is clear the device is ready to launch, it's available in Europe, so if the carriers are holding things back, then the complaints are clearly about the carriers being slow, but HP could easily have said something to indicate they are the source of the delays.
    chalx and Mikey47 like this.
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nimra View Post
    @ eallan
    I would never want an OS not having a true Multitasking ... I just cannot, I tried ...Android, Apple... no thanks, so I'll be English and drink some tee
    while some others are running and barking :-)
    Enjoy the tea mate!

My galaxy s 2 multitasks quite nicely
    well if everybody likes the galaxy s 2 then it must be worth having!
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Would you agree that mid-august is summer?
    Yep, I sure would. Kudos to them!

I realize that everybody's world-view is always a bit centered around where they live, and that if you're from a place with a long-standing tradition of deep national pride and patriotism, you may feel slighted if your country is not, in fact, #1 at getting stuff.
    I'm not entirely sure whether to feel sorry or smug.

As to why they're not releasing the Pre3 in the US - good question. If I'm to hazard a guess, I'd say they're giving Europe unlocked phones now and will, over the course of the next few weeks, start launching them on Carriers across markets, including the US.
    But this doesn't answer the question. Why would they do this? What is the advantage to HP (or carriers anywhere in the world)? If there is a device out there that is ready to be released, why not make it available as far and wide as possible? Especially when one of the big features is TTS, why hold up the release of a phone that can take advantage of that? Does that make sense? Unless the are unsure of their product and want to test in a single region first, this makes no sense.

The only reason that makes sense is that the phones that would run on carriers here in the U.S. are not ready, or there are no carriers who want to carry the device.

Would you agree that holding back a carrier announcement until very, VERY shortly before the carrier will ship the product and show it in stures would meet the popular demand that HP not leave so much time between announcements and availability?
    No, I wouldn't agree at all. I feel there has to be some time between announcement and release -- it seems most other phones have around a 60 day window. This gives time for marketing to occur and get hype and excitement driven up for your phone so that when it is released you have customers ready and waiting. Why would you intentionally provide such a very short window -- they only ones waiting will be diehards who follow forums like this one.[/QUOTE]

We will see what HP will give us in two months.
    While I will COMPLETELY agree with you on the fact that since the Veer was released that they have met the "every two months" cadence. Thist statement by you makes me think you believe they will maintain that cadence. Given that it took 3 months from announcement to release of the Veer, 5 months from announcement to release of the TouchPad, and 7 months from announcement to release of the Pre 3, do you really think there will be yet another new device in two months when there has been no subsequent announcement?

Obviously, only time will tell. I want webOS to be successful. I just disagree with the path that HP is taking with it. It is turning me off of webOS instead of turning me more on to it like a company would desire.
    Oh My Gosh, It continues in here. You people keep the rant going, posting your complaints about HP , about the way they handle marketing and the time it has taken for new devices to roll out in a particular region. You often make throwback inclusions to Palm marketing. Get a grip.
    Well, lest you forget that this thread was started by someone sticking their tongue out and going on about how HP has met all its commitments -- so sure it goes on in here. He has his opinion and those who have responded have theirs.

If you think that ranting is bad, then ranting about ranters is of little use either.
    Can I get some feedback from the "Pre3 is only gonna come in 2012" / "HP dropped the ball" / "HP is unable to release stuff when they say they would" crew about the fact that the Pre3 is now officially going to be launched in late August and early September?

What's your take on this perfectly on-schedule launch? HP said they'd release a new device every two months and now we have proof that they meant it, AND that they're pulling through on it.

How do you reconciliate your incessant apocalyptic talk about the end of webOS with the fact that HP is pushing new devices so quickly and, more importantly, so punctually? Because since the release of the Veer, all devices have been right on time in HP's two-month rhythm.
    Please no historical "but PALM..." replies, thanks. This isn't about ancient history, it's about the present.

Where do you get off saying HP isn't meeting deadlines?
    Is it because you're inventing arbitrary deadlines that HP isn't meeting? Because I think it's much too late for you to invent such arbitrary deadlines, you should've released those in January when they would have been fresh and attractive, so all fictitious deadlines by which, according to you, HP should have released the Pre3 are DOA.

Can you show me another business-oriented phone that I will be able to buy within the next two weeks that has a physical keyboard, a 1.4GHz processor, a nice big screen and front-facing camera, in the ~Ä400 (off contract) class of smartphones?
    No? How can you call it "outdated" then?
    Please no announced phones to come "in the coming months" because I've heard somewhere on the internet that phones announced more than a few days before release are inherently DOA and outdated, which isn't even touching on what a pathetic joke "in the coming [timeframe]" is. Thanks.

Thank you in advance
    Sorry

I decided to take a break from webOS awhile ago. At least my decision was mine. Sounds like everyone who waited had that decision forced on them.

A sad day indeed.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Ouch....
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast