Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Andyf
  • 3 Post By GodShapedHole
  • 2 Post By eallan
  • 1 Post By Andyf
  1.    #1  
    Orange UK's official HP Pre 3 support page goes live, still not available to purchase -- Engadget Mobile

It says here that the official specs on the orange site for the pre3 is now dual core 1.2. Did it change before and i missed something. I thought dual core was just a false rumor
    it appeared to be a typo on a european website. I still think it's a typo, but it would be cool if they surprised us.
    The Orange website actually had this up weeks ago (as you'll see from the thread dating from the 27th July), complete with dual core listing, which was apparently copied from the HP website (who at the time had a typo showing the Touchpad dual core CPU on the Pre site; an error that they subsequently were told about, agreed it was a typo, and corrected it).

The guy at Engadget evidently only just noticed it, and then makes sweeping statements about it confirming the dual core (notice, he says 'confirms' even though it comes from the same source that the original rumour comes from). Then, Engadget being a much followed website, it gets posted on by tons of other sites, and the 'speculation' becomes 'accepted fact'; exactly the same way that one small article that noticed the error on the HP UK website has been posted on, and created the whole dual core obsession. It was, and always has been, one single little typo.

Its basically sloppy journalism. I'd use the word 'irresponsible' if it wasn't such a trivial thing as speculation about phone specs.
    Last edited by Andyf; 08/14/2011 at 11:03 AM.
    threed61#WN likes this.
    though I understand that before people where saying this was a typo, but what if this is the reason the Pre 3 is being delayed to swap out the single core for the dual core. Couldn't that be a possibility? Since now even rumors of the launch on At&t is now 9/18 as opposed to the 9/04 (rumor of course). Seems like a valid reason why it didn't launch a month or two ago.
    it was always planned for after the touchpad.
    Given how long its taken HP to get an apparently working Pre 3 protype to release, I'd be surprised if they could do it in that timeframe (i.e. the one month delay). Other threads will tell you that its a significant rewrite of the OS to get dual core working (hence WebOS 3.*, which has been written from the ground up to support this)

The other thing, is that the Dual core mentioned in relation the Pre 3 is exactly the same as the Touchpad CPU- and therefore doesn't support wwan, and wouldn't work in a phone.
    If you go to this link on HP's site and read the title bar of your browser. Looks like Pre3 went 4G

HP Pre3 4G Smartphone, Applications | HP® Official Site | U.S.
    that's been like that for a while, and tells us it will be an at&t (h+) phone, which at&t claims as 4g as they do the Veer.
    The processor listed in error by HP and now O2 was the TouchPad's processor. It's not a simple "swap" between the TouchPad's APQ8060 and the MSM8x55 in the Pre3.

The HP Pre3 has not gone dual core, we can assure you of that | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    webosroundup commented on this issue before and I think in one of their podcast after the TP launched, they had a pre3 to help with the review.
    they stuck govnah on their and guess what? It was running @ 1.4 ghz. Consistent with the single core processor.
    the reason for the delay appears to be parts shortage. Qualcomm had a factory directly affected by the earthquake near fukashima....
    Given the length of time it's taken to hit the market, however, will it even feel fresh once daylight hits it for the first time?
    I just love this. How does "fresh" feel? Is the Pre3 with its normal specs be any slower now than it would have been in February? No? How can it be "non-fresh" at its release, then? Just because we've known for a while what would be in it? I find that pretty ridiculous.

Looking forward to the Engadget article where they write that, despite confirmation of dual-core 1,2GHz, HP decided to take a step back and go with 1,4GHz after all, where they will innocently ask how many people are going to be disappointed because of that.
    Andyf, Soorma and Vij like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Looking forward to the Engadget article where they write that, despite confirmation of dual-core 1,2GHz, HP decided to take a step back and go with 1,4GHz after all, where they will innocently ask how many people are going to be disappointed because of that.
    Depressingly true, unfortunately.
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    I just love this. How does "fresh" feel? Is the Pre3 with its normal specs be any slower now than it would have been in February? No? How can it be "non-fresh" at its release, then? Just because we've known for a while what would be in it? I find that pretty ridiculous.

Because the market has changed. The mobile landscape moves at a breakneck pace. Android phones will have 1280x720 displays with 1.5 ghz dual cores and lte by years end. HP might be lucky to launch a phone by then with almost 2 year old tech.
    markstuart and Premium1 like this.
    Well, HP could also pull a TouchPad and bump the clock speed of the chip they are using, especially since...well...to paraphrase: "because they can".

Just an update, 24 hours down the line. The Engadget article has been posted on all over the net with titles including such gems as:

Orange posts final HP Pre 3 specs
    ( HP Pre 3 specs posted by Orange | Expert Reviews )

I particularly like that the simple error on Orange's page somehow gives the blogger reason to say:
    According to Orange, the trouble may have been related to the hardware: the official specs listed on the mobile network's site claim a processor speed of 1.2GHz, lower than the originally-announced 1.4GHz.
    Orange Go Official With HP Pre 3
    ( Orange Go Official With HP Pre 3 - News - Trusted Reviews )

All from this one ***** at Engadget who was too lazy to do a 30 second google search. Talk about Chinese whispers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyf View Post
    All from this one ***** at Engadget who was too lazy to do a 30 second google search. Talk about Chinese whispers!
    I did 30 sec search and can't find Pre3 at all on HP site. Just old phones and Veer.

EDIT-- I found it by google but still no specs. Only place with specs is Orange UK, so why not take it as legit?
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    the preproduction units were running 1.4 ghz and that was about a month ago for the TP review.

anything is possible, specially if the 2 chips are so compatible that they could just swap them out. but i cant see it happening.
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Yeesh, its got mixed up here as well. I'm going to put in into an easy-to-read timeline

Feb - Pre3 announced as 1.4Ghz single

late July - cut-paste error on HP UK website puts Touchpad specifications (including 1.2 Ghz Dual core CPU) on Pre 3 page.

Next day
    - Person A notices 1.2Ghz dual on HP pre 3 UK website and speculates that it might be a typo.
    - Person B notices Person A's article and posts that 'Pre 3 upgraded to dual core'

A few days later - Orange put up HP Pre 3 support site, complete with 1.2GHz dual listing copied from HP UK website

Next day -Person A contacts HP UK. They acknowledge its a typo, and correct it back to 1.4 single core (see HP Pre3 Smartphone Specifications | Business Mobile Phones | HP® Official Site )
    -Person B's article has been circulated around and all anyone hears is that 'Pre 3 is upgraded to Dual Core'
    -Orange HP Pre3 support page gets noticed. Further speculation over Dual core

Weeks later - Guy at engadget notices Orange site despite the fact its been up for ages. Taking credit for a massive scoop, he claims that this confirms the dual core rumour.

Next day - Engadget article has been recirculated, and cited as a source for claims as wild as 'Official Pre 3 Specs announced by HP (with dual core)', and 'Orange supplying Pre3 and says delays down to change of processor'

I'm just trying to point out that All this dual core stuff stems from one tiny little typo on the HP UK website, that was corrected within days.

Edit: see also Derek Kessler's link, above

Edit2: Now this is more like it! And from a tabloid outlet!
    Hp pre 3 is coming soon to the uk- The Inquirer
    Properly researched, care clearly has been taken to ask for comment, and to check contrasting facts before posting. Details that are not clear or are unconfirmed are highlighted as such, rather than just guessing and making brash, incorrect statements. If only other tech sites (naming no names >COUGHENGADGET<) took notice. A major tech site getting schooled on journalistic standards by a tabloid? Oh the shame of it.

Sorry, I dunno how I turned this into a discussion of journalistic standards or lack thereof.
    Last edited by Andyf; 08/15/2011 at 10:35 AM.
    bevcraw likes this.
    please please be dual core
    webOS would be nicer if it runs on dual core due multitask need more powerfull cpu which till now only touchpad have it.