Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes
  1.    #1  
    Sprint just formally announced that they are not carrying the blackberry playbook, and also stated they will be carrying the newest blackberry devices.

Motorola has stated thru multiple channels that they will be releasing the droid bionic on verizon.

Even hp has come out and said that a 3/4g version of the touchpad will come out on AT&T later this summer.

But the pre3? All we have is a few screen shots of it on vzw and att.'s network, FCC filings, and "coming late summer.". Why can't hp and/or the carriers come straight out and say that they plan/will/won't carry the pre3??? Outside of the webos community the pre 3 is not going to be a hot selling device anyways so why all the secrecy? Does anyone else out there besides us even care about the phone? I think alot of our community's angst can easily be relieved if some one would straight out come and say they plan to, or don't plan to carry device. Instead we have passionate sprint customers (dwindling numbers daily) longing for the pre3, vzw customers debating whether to hang onto their pre pluses vs upgrading to the pre2 or changing platforms all together, and AT&T customers having to purchase a tiny webos phone in the veer or moving to another platform as well.

In Jan 2009 we knew the pre was coming to sprint, in Jan 2010, we knew the pre plus was comin to vzw. We knew AT&T was getting the veer and we know they are getting the touchpad. We know sprint is not carrying the playbook. We know the droid bionic is comic to vzw. Why don't we have confirmation of where the pre 3 is going?
    No one is being dishonest. They just haven't announced carriers yet. It's also possible that they haven't secured a carrier.

This is different from the playbook issue because it was initially announced for sprint, now there's been a change of heart.
    IGNTNUNLMTD and VCI_Cell like this.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    They are leaving it a bit late!
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    A simple update from HP is way over due.
    Tikkanen and tjz741 like this.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by landford View Post
    A simple update from HP is way over due.
    Agreed
    HP cares nothing about smartphones. All they care about is their dang Touchpad which is why they won't be getting a high marketshare. HP needs to sell phones as well and I'm not talking about an itty-bitty fisher-price toy either.
    HP and Sprint aren't being dishonest if they haven't said anything in the first place.

My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

Facebook: facebook.com/LordSecksie
    Twitter: @LordSecksie
    TextOne: LordSecksie
    threed61#WN and VCI_Cell like this.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    No one is being dishonest. They just haven't announced carriers yet. It's also possible that they haven't secured a carrier.

This is different from the playbook issue because it was initially announced for sprint, now there's been a change of heart.
    Ok dishonest isn't the term I was looking for...maybe elusive instead? But the point is, even the playbook as u mention was atleast announced for sprint. They chose to cancel it, which is fine. But anyone interested in the playbook would initially have waited for it coming to sprint,and now knows for sure it isn't and can move onto plan b. Meanwhile webos phone users remain in limbo. We have no clue who it's coming to except in the uk. What's the point of being so elusive. Unless noncarrier has picked it up as of yet. Which means of course then it has to go thru more testing when it is picked up by a carrier. And that would mean a significantly later release than anticipated. As another example we even knew the pre 2 was coming to verizon adit was announced as such by palm in October.
    I can see why Sprint has been elusive about the pre3/webOS controversy...the moment they make an announcement that they will dump those products, there will likely be a mad exodus to other carriers. Sprint might be able to withstand the shock of such an occurrence - even with their android devotees. Just MHO but still hopeful and satisfied with my Pre- and Sprint service.
    Last edited by kenhiraihnl; 08/13/2011 at 03:21 PM.
    The simplest answer is that do not have carrier contracts in the US lined up yet...
    threed61#WN likes this.

For me it's more an issue of if you've decided not to carry it(carrier) or if you're going with only certain carriers(HP) announce or release that piece of information. Then we won't be hanging onto a phone with no hopes of a new format for months. We can move to another phone, if it's not going to be released with our carrier or wait until it makes it to the carrier that it's being released to and then switch. If you want the new webOS phone I don't see the point in switching before the new phone. You'd be signing a new contract when out with and wouldn't be eligible for the discount when the device is released anyway.
    Last edited by bdhu2001; 08/13/2011 at 06:28 PM. Reason: typo
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by LordSecksie View Post
    HP and Sprint aren't being dishonest if they haven't said anything in the first place.
    thats my point...why not?
    Companies announce release dates and cancellations. If they don't have either of these are to speak of, and they have nothing to announce.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by kenhiraihnl View Post
    I can see why Sprint has been elusive about the pre3/webOS controversy...the moment they make an announcement that they will dump those products, there will likely be a mad exodus to other carriers. Sprint might be able to withstand the shock of such an occurrence - even with their android devotees. Just MHO but still hopeful and satisfied with my Pre- and Sprint service.
    I doubt there are pre minus users, and even fewer original pixi users left on sprint, to cause a mass exodus of users from sprint. People generally choose their carrier over the phone with a few exceptions. Besides sprint has an outstanding android and blackberry lineup, and rumor has it they may get an iphone as well. It wont harm sprint in any way if they state officially they are not carrying the Pre3. Nor will it affect HP as their bigger profit will come from selling touchpads rather than phones.

there's just something fishy about the pre3's lack of carrier announcement
  15.    #15  
    Companies announce release dates and cancellations. If they don't have either of these are to speak of, and they have nothing to announce.
    not true, the original pre, the Pre2, and the veer were all announced as coming to a particular carrier without official release dates until a few weeks before they were actually announced
    Quote Originally Posted by GTAFan9999 View Post
    HP cares nothing about smartphones. All they care about is their dang Touchpad which is why they won't be getting a high marketshare. HP needs to sell phones as well and I'm not talking about an itty-bitty fisher-price toy either.
    hp doesn't care about anything but their pos printers. who uses a printer outside of work anyway and hp copiers are junk.
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    hp doesn't care about anything but their pos printers. who uses a printer outside of work anyway and hp copiers are junk.
    I can go on all day on how wrong you are there...

Their Imaging and Printing business is only a bit over half of what the PSG consist of. Not to mention their enterprise consulting business.

HP Investor Relations - Financial news
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    VCI_Cell likes this.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Its only frustrating because to get those cheap prices we pay in the U.S.A. for phones we agree to two year contracts, so if you're trying to plot your future moves and where you're going to be locked in I can see why you might find it shady.. well I'd stick with just frustrating since no ones actually said anything.
    HP would NEVER announce that a carrier doesnt want to carry a HP phone. People would see that announcement and immediately think that the phone sucks, regardless of the reason.

Also, Carriers probably wouldn't normally announce it either in fear of <<mod delete>> the phone company.

It is better for both of them to not say anything...but HP could come out and say "The Pre3 is being tweaked with a spec bump...but there will be a delay" to make ppl calm down.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 08/13/2011 at 10:29 PM. Reason: language
    HP has not yet been dishonest. All they said was summer. I believe most of the frustration comes from the fact that the Pre 3 has been available for pre-order since at least June. And of course the delivery/release dates have been delayed again and again. If HP decided they just be silent until they feel ready to announce anything, it's ok in my book. But when you can order that thing and (in my case amazon.de) says delivery June 17 it makes the impression that the Pre 3 should already be here. But I guess that's not necessarily HP's fault.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast