Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes
    A couple of you have said it and I'll say it again -- this thread is about HP and the carriers. If you want to discuss other devices on other OSs, please post in the Other Handhelds thread or please visit our sister site for that OS. Thanks.
    Cantaffordit likes this.
    After Palm purchase HP inherited funny situation with Sprint and WebOS user-base tied with 2 year plan. They didn't manage it well, and still are not managing it well.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xethur View Post
    honestly a lot of us orignal webos users that are still on sprint are ready to switch. There was a poll a while back about this and I believe about 100 were going to switch to get the pre3. Most of us are on sprint because it is cheaper. That new $10 a line smartphone bs has us rethinking switching.

thankfully I'm willing to "settle" for the veer if I have to because I don't get any verizon signal at my house.
    A very small number i'm sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    i don't think your going to see any updates on it because in my mind it's a dead issue. if hp was smart they are making a 4.3" slab type phone to compete. they also need to license webos out to samsung & htc. it worked for microsoft/wp7 with nokia and it could work for hp/palm too. the lack of updates is simple, the pre3 probably is not happening in the states.

No it didn't. Nokia is on death's doorstep in the smartphone market. The only thing keeping them alive is dumbphone sales in Europe and Asia. And adoption of cheap Android phones over there will kill Nokia off for good.

Windows Phone 7 hasn't worked properly from day one, and MS still can't work out persistent issues with not getting updates to users.

I'd be willing to bet the delay with the Pre3 here (versus Europe) is entirely down to how much mucking about with the default software HP is willing to let AT&T and Verizon get away with. Seeing as VZW's near-psychotic need to mangle the software kept us from getting 1.4.5 for nearly 6 months (and got the upgrade to 2.x for Pre+ shelved forever), I can see HP trying to pry more control back along the lines of what Apple does. And that's going to be a fight.

The carriers in the US are going to have to get used to the idea that smartphones make them into nothing more than connection providers. We don't need your pay-per-turn navigation or your $20 messaging plans any more. We want a dumb, fat pipe that carries whatever IP traffic we can throw at it.

And right now, Google, HP, and Apple are on the front lines of that battle.

If it takes a few extra months to get a Pre3 that's unencumbered by idiotic carrier profit-maximizing software restrictions, I can wait.
    Last edited by bcorbino; 08/15/2011 at 10:39 AM. Reason: fixed the quote - was wrong one.
    circadia, KallistiMan and LCGuy like this.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    When the iphone came out with navigation, the same firms that charge $3 a day on Verizon sells the same $3 a day navigation software on the iphone on AT&T.

If you want dumb pipes, then prepare to pay a lot of money for it. Netherlands just enacted Europe's first big net neutrality laws --- guess what? Within a month, ALL 3 national carriers in Netherlands raised prices to become the most expensive in Europe.

Vodafone, T-Mobile react to Dutch net neutrality by raising mobile data tariffs - FierceWireless:Europe
    I don't know where you're getting that from, samab. Nav is free on the iPhone series of phones, and on Android phones too. The only ones that VZ has over a barrel any more are dumbphone, blackberry, and webOS users.

And I'd bet that the Net Neutrality laws were believed by the consumer public to force "all you can eat for one low price", when they did no such thing. Note that they've all gone capped.

We've seen the same thing in the US with the threat of so-called "Net Neutrality" where the legislators and the providers are talking about not traffic-shaping certain apps into oblivion, and the end users are thinking unlimited full-speed traffic for $25 a month.

I'd be perfectly willing to pay $80-100 a month (which I pay now) for a capped 5 GB data plus some minutes. Oh, wait - I already do. Then why does my phone have asinine restrictions on what software can access the GPS chip (unless I buy the carrier's preferred (read kickback$) handset).

If the phone passes FCC scrutiny with the default software stack, the carriers should just leave it the hell alone instead of trying to cripple certain features that compete with add-on services they want to sell for more than they are worth.

The dumb-phone era is over. You cannot monetize data synchronization and navigation and backup any more. Deal.
    LCGuy likes this.
    Let's ease this thread back on topic please. Remember we are talking about HP, the carriers and release of the Pre 3. This isn't the place to discuss net neutrality or the release of other phones. Thanks.
    Cantaffordit likes this.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    When the iphone FIRST had navigation, the SAME navigation companies that sold the $3 a day subscription on Verizon sold the same $3 a day subscription on the AT&T iphone. Don't know what the current prices are.

If you want 5GB do whatever you want plan --- then get the 5GB data plan which is $50-60 a month. That's no voice minutes, no sms...

But that's the price when there are 4 national carriers. With AT&T swallowing up TMO US, expect that data card price to go up.
    HP doesn't owe anything to WebOS users, but in light of whole WebOS situation from 2009 till today, it would be reasonable to treat remaining loyal WebOS users on Sprint with some respect, and to give them straight answer about future HP-Sprint relations.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    HP doesn't owe anything to WebOS users, but in light of whole WebOS situation from 2009 till today, it would be reasonable to treat remaining loyal WebOS users on Sprint with some respect, and to give them straight answer about future HP-Sprint relations.
    They said "They would make it right" to existing WebOS users, due to them not giving us WebOS 2. At present, they gave it to O2 and Vodafone in Europe and have done jack for those of us here in the USA. Considering the relatively small size of the original Pre/Pre Plus/Pre 2 is a big part of why many never went for a WebOS device in the first place, the Veer was never going to be the phone to convert others to the platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead777 View Post
    <<mod delete>. Theres been alot said about PRe 3 from hp . Just nothing the consumer can use to make a decision weather to buy it or look elsewhere and that is totally deceptive and hanging the carrot out son.
    Really? Point me in the direction where HP said ANYTHING about which carrier is definitely getting the Preł, or where a carrier actually said "We are getting the Preł" because that IS what this thread is about.

I'll Wait.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 08/16/2011 at 08:49 AM. Reason: referring to quoted text that has been deleted

My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

Facebook: facebook.com/LordSecksie
    Twitter: @LordSecksie
    TextOne: LordSecksie
    VCI_Cell likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by LordSecksie View Post
    Really? Point me in the direction where HP said ANYTHING about which carrier is definitely getting the Preł, or where a carrier actually said "We are getting the Preł" because that IS what this thread is about.
    I'll Wait.
    Guy just said that HP never gave any meaningful info about Pre3, like which carrier will carry it.
    Really, I agree that in reality, HP doesn't have to announce any carrier, but lot of you guys are forgetting that Sprint haven't carried any new WebOS device for two years, and that Sprint users are waiting for any straight info whole this time.
    gbp likes this.
    Guy just said that HP never gave any meaningful info about Pre3, like which carrier will carry it.
    Really, I agree that in reality, HP doesn't have to announce any carrier, but lot of you guys are forgetting that Sprint haven't carried any new WebOS device for two years, and that Sprint users are waiting for any straight info whole this time.
    Sounds like your beef is with Sprint and not HP then.
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcorbino View Post
    Sounds like your beef is with Sprint and not HP then.
    Its not with Sprint or HP, its about Pre - users on Sprint. HP should keep them in the loop.
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Makes me wonder if anyone on Sprint using Pre - ? Few folks I know (including me) still use it. But we are fast becoming minority.
    I agree with what you are saying. But the guy that I was responding too called me delusional for say neither HP nor Sprint have told any lies because they haven't even officially said anything at all. I am a Sprint Pre user and I too wait for some official word. But to call HP and Sprint liars is a bit much when nothing was said at all.

My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

Facebook: facebook.com/LordSecksie
    Twitter: @LordSecksie
    TextOne: LordSecksie
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Makes me wonder if anyone on Sprint using Pre - ? Few folks I know (including me) still use it. But we are fast becoming minority.
    I still use my Sprint Palm Pre. Every now and then I get a call from Sprint asking me to upgrade to a newer, more efficient smartphone.

I keep telling them: "No, but thank you. I really love the webOS experience, and I will continue to hold out for another webOS device to land on Sprint."

Their reply: "Might I ask why, sir?"

My reply: "I am truly not a fan of the Android OS available on most smartphones offered by Sprint. The Android OS feels cluttered and not as elegant in comparison to HP/Palm webOS. The level of efficiency at which I perform tasks is most important to a person such as myself, and webOS is able to deliver. The Android OS, unfortunately, for me, does not. If one doesn't land in the near future then, I'll continue to use my Palm Pre until it finally kicks the bucket."

Their reply (most of the time): "I understand sir." (followed by, usually) "Let me mark this in the system, sir."

Their reply (other times): "But you have an upgrade available."

My reply (other times): "On a downgraded silver tier, of which I'll save until I actually need it."

Their reply (other times): "I understand, sir. Have a nice day."
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Okay, its a rant, beware.
    These two Sprint and HP are dumb,idiotic and arrogant companies. Might I add lazy too the mix. I understand that Sprint is mad at the build quality so they care less for webOS. But for HP, I never get it. HP has a responsibility of promoting future webOS devices to the early adapters. It doesn't take lot for HP to get the existing active Sprint user data based on Palm Profile services. I bet they know how many folks from Sprint are using Pre-. But they keep quite. Why ? I don't know. These are the times I wish someone with "guts" lead the webOS. Push the products fast to market. Communicate with the faithful in an honest way. After all its a phone, yes its a phone not a car. The window of opportunity is small for HP to sell a phone.Its not easy to attract existing Android and iOS customers, so their best bet is existing Pre users.

I believe HP is no honest by not communicating (I know they don't have to). But come September they have to open their mouth.

Once a customer is lost he will not comeback for two years.
    Quote Originally Posted by LordSecksie View Post
    I agree with what you are saying. But the guy that I was responding too called me delusional for say neither HP nor Sprint have told any lies because they haven't even officially said anything at all. I am a Sprint Pre user and I too wait for some official word. But to call HP and Sprint liars is a bit much when nothing was said at all.
    He was rude, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Its not with Sprint or HP, its about Pre - users on Sprint. HP should keep them in the loop.
    That is a whole point.
    Listen, I'm not from US at all, but for more than a year I'm witnessing this Sprint Pre- drama filled with rumors and complete numbness first from Palm while launching Pre+ and Pixi+ on AT&T and Verizon, and now from HP. Expecting from Sprint to issue public statement is irrational because they don't want to alienate existing customers. And frankly, Sprint is holding to their part of bargain - they are obligated to provide services to their customers and that is what they are doing. Nothing more. HP on other hand should publicly announce their Pre3 launch partners with some timeframes if there is exclusivity involved.
    Simply, HP should fight for every customer including guys on Sprint, and way to do that is keeping them in the loop. On other hand, Sprint is fighting for every existing customer by keeping them uninformed.
    Ball is in HP's part of the field.
    HP has phones on Sprint internally. So like I have said in the past, they could bypass the carrier and just sell the phone themselves, that would leave the activation up to us in dealing with Sprint. Sprint allows for 3rd party purchase and activation and always has. SO THIS IS STILL A BIG POSSIBILITY. We just need to WAIT and see.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast