Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I think there are lots of reasons why it's going down this way but surely one of them is cultural - HP is a grey box shifter and their moves reflect that - they don't do better because they don't know any better.
    Apple is leaving their users completely in the dark. Not only haven't they announced what carriers the new iPhone will be on, they haven't even announced a new iPhone! June used to be iPhone month and now? Nothing. Going on three months with NOTHING to show.

Of course, over here we were already angsty about the Pre3 in May.

Maybe it's because Apple is a grey box shifter and doesn't do any better because no matter how well they do, people will buy their product for the logo and the attached lifestyle image.

So I thought that HP should only have announced the Pre3 just before its release, and we're mad that they announced it so early.
    Maybe HP is going to re-announce it through carriers and a marketing campaign when it actually releases?

Maybe some of you who are saying that nobody will be interested in the Pre3 - not because it's too slow or outdated in specs but simply because 'it's a february phone' are overestimating how many people in the general population followed the Think Beyond event. For 90% of people, the first glimpse they get of the Pre3 will be when it launches. THAT's when the real timer starts.
  3.    #23  
    listen...I could care less about the iphone or when its released. We know the iphone is already on att and vzw and therefore the iphone 5 will come to those networks, possibly others. But that's a high demand product, and if it is coming to sprint in some way, those carriers have an interest in convincing apple to keep quiet about their intentions with sprint, since they have cheaper phone/data plans which may compromise their ability to get new customers to sign up with the more expensive carriers.

But I don't care about the iphone.

I only care for the pre3. It is an
    awesome phone spec wise, and everything I want in a smartphone...webOS rocks in every way, I love my touchpad, and I can't wait to upgrade my phone. But we have no suggestion that vzw is or isn't carrying the phone. Vzw can simply state we are not carrying the phone, or we are testing it on our network for a future release. Same with sprint or att. Hp announced they were releasing the pre 2 on verizon back in october 2010, stating "coming soon to vzw." it didn't come until 4-5 months later but we all knew it was coming.

so why be any different with the pre3? What's so different about the pre3? Will it harm any carrier or hp to state that they intend or don't intend to carry the phone?
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Apple is leaving their users completely in the dark. Not only haven't they announced what carriers the new iPhone will be on, they haven't even announced a new iPhone! June used to be iPhone month and now? Nothing. Going on three months with NOTHING to show.
    False analogue, when apple do announce the iphone 5, it will name dates and places. If we get an iphone 5 event and then they simply say "coming soon" and seven months pass and the phone is not released, you'd have a point - but they will not do that, so you don't.

Hell, even RIM who were are considered the basketcase of the mobile space were able to announce, and launch some phones in the space of a month (actually two weeks in the UK).

I think people need to be a bit more realistic - this isn't a battle between iOS, Android and WebOS - In the US, it's a battle between WP7, Bada (Who? I'm sure most will ask) and WebOS to be fourth and in Europe, it's a battle between WP7 and WebOS with Symbian still attracting a lot of users even as it's killed off. Eventually it might be a battle between WebOS and one of the big players but they have to pass the guys in front of them first.
    Last edited by CGK; 08/14/2011 at 08:42 AM.
    eallan likes this.
    Agreed 100%. I don't understand why we can't EVER get a straight answer out of HPalm. It's well past time for them to put up or shut up.
    The Saint
    Tikkanen and GTAFan9999 like this.
    every time they say anything the community goes nuts with complaining, and then panics if they don't fulfill every possible interpretation of what was said.

did anyone remember the first touchpad update? The panic and doom posts started the day before it was "promised" and panic ensued when it arrived in the afternoon instead of the morning...
    Funny right? Hp got vilified for announcing a product 6 months prior too actual release. And now people wonder why Hp isn't announcing anymore. Sounds like a lose-lose situation.

As for apple, aren't iphones 5, 6, 7...essentially already announced? don't they release EVERY year? Then iUsers start panicking when it does get release "on schedule."
  8.    #28  
    not a lose lose situation.

some people complain, some dont...but most people are level headed and just want a straight answer either from hp or from the carriers. They've done it before (pre, pre plus, pre2, veer) and they're doing it now...touchpad coming to att, right? Wasn't that announced by hp and att at their conferences?

but no mention of the pre3 anywhere...is someone ashamed of it? It just doesn't make sense, except that maybe us carriers will not carry it...and that would be disheartening.
    If you are looking for honesty from electronics device makers and mobile communications companies then you are looking in the wrong place...
    apple doesnt announce these things.. they seem to be doing well
    LordSecksie likes this.
    Point still remains, its not being dishonest if nothing was said in the first place.

My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

Facebook: facebook.com/LordSecksie
    Twitter: @LordSecksie
    TextOne: LordSecksie
    Quote Originally Posted by kenhiraihnl View Post
    I can see why Sprint has been elusive about the pre3/webOS controversy...the moment they make an announcement that they will dump those products, there will likely be a mad exodus to other carriers. Sprint might be able to withstand the shock of such an occurrence - even with their android devotees. Just MHO but still hopeful and satisfied with my Pre- and Sprint service.
    I think Sprint could withstand losing 157 customers in one day....
  13.    #33  
    Folks can we stop worrying about apple? I don't care what apple does or doesn't do. I'm not comparing apples to oranges (pun intended)

Hp and palm themselves have consistently announced their prior products are coming to particular carriers as well as their upcoming 4g touchpad. They have made no mention of the pre3.

The more I talk about this the more I worry that it's not gonna be released soon in the us.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wencyjr View Post
    Funny right? Hp got vilified for announcing a product 6 months prior too actual release. And now people wonder why Hp isn't announcing anymore. Sounds like a lose-lose situation.

As for apple, aren't iphones 5, 6, 7...essentially already announced? don't they release EVERY year? Then iUsers start panicking when it does get release "on schedule."
    HP is vilified because there has not been a new phone that replaces the original Pre on Sprint, or a replacement for the Pre Plus on AT&T after over a year. They made a big splash in February with announcements, but we saw a niche market device, the Veer come first, with another Niche device, the Touchpad second, but with NO sign of what could have been a real competitor in the high end market, the Pre 3. I understand a lack of advertisements, but there has been no mention of the Pre 3 AT ALL, and that has put many of us on edge. Even a "we are on schedule to release this summer" would have made many of us feel better.

Apple has consistently released a new phone every year, but with the Verizon iPhone launch, it made sense for the normal June release to be changed. For Palm/HP, we have no real faith in what is going on, between conflicting messages from executives, to just feeling like the Pre 3 is an afterthought.
    Tikkanen and eallan like this.
    ::FacePalm::

My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

Facebook: facebook.com/LordSecksie
    Twitter: @LordSecksie
    TextOne: LordSecksie
    As I said before, hp seems to not care about smartphones seeing as how how they designed a fisher-price phone with only 2 advertisements. And don't say they released the pre 2 either becuase because that was Palm's doing NOT hp's. All they care about is their "precious" Touchpad. Seriously has anyone seen how many updates have been givien to the Touchpad alone? The Veer is left out in the cold just like the pre 2 and 3. And also seeing as how most of the new userbase came to webOS via touchpad, that's another sign hp doesn't give a damn about the pre 3. I still don't understand why they won't give any info about it. Overall it's going to take more than a tablet and a fisher-price toy to reach the top 3. That's why they need the pre 3
    Quote Originally Posted by landford View Post
    A simple update from HP is way over due.
    i don't think your going to see any updates on it because in my mind it's a dead issue. if hp was smart they are making a 4.3" slab type phone to compete. they also need to license webos out to samsung & htc. it worked for microsoft/wp7 with nokia and it could work for hp/palm too. the lack of updates is simple, the pre3 probably is not happening in the states.
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    apple doesnt announce these things.. they seem to be doing well
    because they know no matter what they do or sell the apple zombies will buy it at any cost. it's not like that with webos.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    I doubt there are pre minus users, and even fewer original pixi users left on sprint, to cause a mass exodus of users from sprint. People generally choose their carrier over the phone with a few exceptions.
    honestly a lot of us orignal webos users that are still on sprint are ready to switch. There was a poll a while back about this and I believe about 100 were going to switch to get the pre3. Most of us are on sprint because it is cheaper. That new $10 a line smartphone bs has us rethinking switching.

thankfully I'm willing to "settle" for the veer if I have to because I don't get any verizon signal at my house.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast