Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    We have all been waiting a long long time for the Pre3....the past few weeks have not been kind for its chances to land on my carrier Verizon...i know im supposed to wait it out and see for sure....ive waited this long...but im ready to break down....how can I survive the weekend and not march into VZW and grab the Pre2.....I know its outdated and under speced but I use my phone for business mostly....when I want to play I have my Touchpad...and the Pre2 seems to zip along nicley so im not too worried about performance...and im kind of fond of the smaller form factor

    But im terrified that HP wont love the Pre2 and Ill never see touchpad / sms forwarding on it......that nor regular updates....those are the only 2 things keeping me right now and its not much

    Someone out there help me....for gods sake I had to dump my Pre + because of the "headset issue".....I have an iphone4 and I hate the thing like a b@st@rd son....
  2. #2  
    I am very, very happy with my verizon pre2.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I am very, very happy with my verizon pre2.
    Ditto.
  4. #4  
    A new 12 step program! Steps 1 through 11 are "wait" and step 12 is "wait some more".
    Derek_B and TopTongueBarry like this.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    A new 12 step program! Steps 1 through 11 are "wait" and step 12 is "wait some more".
    But wait, if you order right now we'll include this bonus! Continuing from before, steps 13-101! Which include... Step 27: How to wait like an obsessed Apple fan boy or Step 56: Wait while doing the potty dance. After waiting all that time you can order our additional, and last, step. Step 102: FINALLY ALL THAT WAITING PAID OFF. When you finally received the HP Pre 3 and ALL it's glory.

    Not trying to sound mean, I know it sucks for all of us. Just trying to have a little fun while we do step 1-101 till step 102 happens...
    davidtm likes this.
  6. #6  
    If there's no word on a Verizon Pre 3 by the time the Droid Bionic hits I will have to make a move. My over-clocked, meta-doctored Pre- is laggy as all get out and barely functions anymore and I don't think I want to go back to 1.4.5 so my clock is ticking fast! Help me, HP!
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!


  7. #7  
    The OP's post touches on the reason why Im still on my Pre+ and patiently waiting for the Pre 3:

    I want absolute incentive to make the upgrade - I hear, time and time again that that the Pre 2 is a great device, and if I had moved up to it by now, I'd have many less reasons (and fewer material benefits - fewer, not none) to upgrade to the Pre 3.

    My pre + is working just fine, now 1.2 years old. I even bought the GRT case for it, which has given me superior slider performance, as well as provided great physical protection for it when I dropped it. Overclocked with Uberkernal and Govnah at screensate 500/1000, it performs quite well most of the time, and stays very cool, too (Uberkernal is an excellent kernal for operational temperatures)

    But, the Pre 3, with that bigger screen and 1.4 ghz processor, dual noise cancelling mics aand WebOS 2.xx on it should be a significantly diffferent (read: a whole lot better) for me in contrast, making it well worth the wait, versus upgrading from the Pre 2, which is obviously a much better hardware build than the Pre, and Pre.

    I guess Im saying that the Pre+ is serving its purpose for me so well that I can wait for the Pre 3 to be available, and then really be glad with the improved and additional features, but, I do feel the OP's pain somewhat... if any part of my Pre+ had failed, forcing me to buy a Pre 2 by now, it WOULD be a more difficult upgrade for me to legitimze, for sure (but, I'd still do it, anyway, solely because of the formfactor and WebOS alone).

    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  8. #8  
    i'm sorta on your wavelength lcguy, trying so hard to wait for a pre3 and my vzw pre+ is doing okay.
    i'm just getting tired of it.
    tired of the blocked gps.
    tired of not having webos 2.0.
    tired of all these app giveaways i can't participate in.
    tired of the **** battery life - my battery is worn out, a decent battery replacement costs 5 dollars more than a pre2 upgrade ($25)
    and you wanna know the other annoying thing it's doing? when i'm in a text conversation and i decide i want to call them, you know how you can tap on their name at the top to pull up their contact info to tap their number? well mine displays a blank screen with the edit button at the bottom, no contact info.
    getting soo tired of this thing, but i can't imagine having a non webos phone. i hate my gf's android phone, iphone is just....apple...too proprietary for me.

    edit: i just want to know if/when it's coming to vzw. with all this talk and that roadmap not including the pre3 and it keeps getting pushed back if vzw isn't getting it for the love of god just tell me so i can get a pre2 and be done waiting

    edit 2: AND my h and y keys aren't working well anymore. i'm on my 3rd or 4th refurb i can't remember
    Last edited by videogmike; 08/13/2011 at 07:39 AM.
  9. #9  
    Coming from someone who moved from a Pre Plus on AT&T to a Pre2 Unlocked, wait for the Pre3. I love my Pre2, but I cannot wait for:

    - being able to hold my phone on my shoulder with no hands and not cover the mic with my cheek

    - being able to shoot decent pictures and video

    - being able to Skype

    - being able to hold my phone and it not feel like two halves that are wanting to come apart

    - (hopefully) being able to plug in headphones and the phone not try to voice dial

    -- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
  10. #10  
    oh yea stuck in headset mode forgot about that. i'd like to be able to use headphones with my phone. 2 of my refurbs were for stuck in headset mode. one of them got stuck in headset mode without ever putting headphones in it. my current one i've never put headphones in either, too scared.
    in before alcohol q-tip - only fixed it for a few hours
    the graphite is a neat idea i saw that thread, i believe that it works but still hesitant to start using headphones and inevitably get stuck in headset mode and pray to god that the graphite fixes it
  11. #11  
    My name is Sukiyaki and I am a webos phone addict. I heard about these phones early 2009, the phone to end all phones. My pusher...err...supplier...Sprint, made it available to me in June 2009. At first, all was well. I got a semi regular update fix, and these homebrew guys boosted it's potency 1000-fold, with new fixes almost daily. Then things started to sour: the update fixes stopped, promises for new fixes never materialized, homebrew fixes had dwindled as newer versions of the drug...err..phone appeared elsewhere. I wanted the new phone, but I had an exclusive deal with Sprint to be my supplier. They were willing to string me along, to give me a new phone when my other one experienced problems keeping me going. Now my supplier is willing to let me go, but either THEIR supplier is holding back on the new uber-drug, the pre 3 or they've decided to stop slinging webOS. I can get the newer versions from other suppliers, but if I switch now, when the uber phone finally appears, my new supplier will make me pay dearly to get the good stuff. I get the shakes just thinking about it. I'm having dreams about the pre 3 just being out of reach, I can't sleep. The other tech is no longer attractive, it can't give me the high I need....Only WebOS can make the pain go away and the shakes stop... I need help....

    You did say SUPPORT GROUP, right? Did I over share???
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    circadia likes this.
  12. #12  
    I think it would actually be a better move for HP to delay the Pre3 a few months and remake it as a superphone with competitive specs.

    They don't expect the 'old guard' to still gimp along on their Pre Pluses and their Pre 2s. There are so few of us that we're not even worth selling to any more. HP won't hate you if you switch to a Pre 2, or even Android.

    It's not a bad thing that HP is delaying the Pre3. For all they are concerned, webOS is dead on phones right now. Hopefully they are focusing on bigger and better things and I hope that they don't push out a half-baked, underspecced phone just to tide us over.

    If your contract is up and you're thirsting for something new, get a Pre 2 or an Android device. If the Pre 3 comes out as it has been announced, odds are it won't sell very well. Get one off contract for a low price.

    If they delay the release and the Pre 3 rises from the ashes as a Bionic-style superphone... well, I suspect most of us will be too pleased to care about early termination fees.

    Personally it seems to me that HP is doing much better with the TouchPad than with phones at this point. My ideal situation would involve HP doubling down on TouchPad marketing and jockeying into that number 2 spot, soft-launching the Pre 3, and licensing webOS for phones to Samsung or HTC so we end up with true high-end, frequently refreshed webOS devices in a couple of months.
  13. Targon's Avatar
    Posts
    502 Posts
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    #13  
    Ok, the way you survive the wait is to install WebOS 2.1.0 on your phone. Yes, it may take a bit of effort, and perhaps going through the learning curve of setting up Linux in a virtual machine, but the rewards are worth it. I love WebOS 2.1 on my AT&T Pre Plus, and with Flash and the overall improvements has helped me hold on with this wait.

    So, go for WebOS 2.1, and you can try the AV8B Kernel, which is also 1GHz, but instead of screen state to toggle from 500MHz to 1GHz, AV8B is 1GHz all the time, with the voltage being adjusted based on CPU demand. At the least, it will be a distraction. Just remember do use save/restore to back up your stuff and turn off the automatic backups to avoid problems. PM me if you need help/advice with the process.

    And yes, I DID do the upgrade without turning off backups, the result was I had to re-doctor my phone to 1.4.5 just to turn off backups(to get rid of account settings in my Palm Profile that were breaking the upgrade).
  14. #14  
    yea i created meta doctor it hangs on my phone. i gather i need to do the last resort emergency recovery as there's something wrong with my "tokens" in my phone.
    i'm not confident i understand all the directions though so i haven't bothered
  15. Targon's Avatar
    Posts
    502 Posts
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by videogmike View Post
    yea i created meta doctor it hangs on my phone. i gather i need to do the last resort emergency recovery as there's something wrong with my "tokens" in my phone.
    i'm not confident i understand all the directions though so i haven't bothered
    That is your problem, you just didn't get it working correctly. It may be a simple case of the different Doctor files and scripts not having downloaded correctly. During the process of using the scripts, you MAY see some errors that indicate that something did not work properly, or you used the wrong script for your phone. The "corrupted profile" error is the most common if you did not turn off the automatic backups before Doctoring to 2.1, but other than that, you SHOULD be set once you have created the proper WebOS Doctor image.

    As I said, I will help if you want to give it another try, since it DOES breathe new life into the Pre Plus. For those with the original Pre, WebOS 2.0 and 2.1 take up more RAM, so the 256MB RAM you have can cause 2.1 to run slower, even though it WILL run.
  16. #16  
    someone TELL US why HP cant run commercials and tell us where the pre 3 will be and at what carrier support. They are 30 days or whatever from a launch and they wont tell the public whats whats. THATS THE PROBLEM WITH THE PHONE INDUSTRY. They cant even try to save themselfs, id like like to know how many sales were lost in the last 60 days because of the lack or general public knowledge about carrier support.

    I swear the wireless phone industry is run like some ******** mafia from the caveman neanderthal days. Hell even the 30,000 year silence of the extinct neanderthal has been broken.


    30,000 year silence broken | The Sun |News
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead777 View Post
    someone TELL US why HP cant run commercials and tell us where the pre 3 will be and at what carrier support. They are 30 days or whatever from a launch and they wont tell the public whats whats. THATS THE PROBLEM WITH THE PHONE INDUSTRY. They cant even try to save themselfs, id like like to know how many sales were lost in the last 60 days because of the lack or general public knowledge about carrier support.

    I swear the wireless phone industry is run like some ******** mafia from the caveman neanderthal days. Hell even the 30,000 year silence of the extinct neanderthal has been broken.


    30,000 year silence broken | The Sun |News

    DONT FORGET THAT FREAKIN' PLASTIC SCREEN. My keyboard is on its last legs too...
    There are quite a few Pre + users on verizon and not releasing the Pre 3 with ATT at the same time will be quite a mistake.
  18.    #18  
    Thank you LC guy..but if I was in your position I would be ok too....but I'm not. Had to ditch my pre plus cuz it was stuck in headset mode...i just use it on wifi at home now...i carry an iphone 4 to a job I desperatly need a biz phone for and as good as the iphone can b the virtual keyboard and os simply doesn't cut it for me.

    I can end this fusteration today and grab a pre 2...but if the pre 3 is out for VZ any day now I'd happily wait...

    But where is it....HP you already announched the phone in Feb....its not a secret anymore....just announce carrier and date...who cares if it's a month out...its been 6 already

    And if it comes to no VZ I won't be complaining because I'll have a pre 2 in my hand....

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    That is your problem, you just didn't get it working correctly. It may be a simple case of the different Doctor files and scripts not having downloaded correctly. During the process of using the scripts, you MAY see some errors that indicate that something did not work properly, or you used the wrong script for your phone. The "corrupted profile" error is the most common if you did not turn off the automatic backups before Doctoring to 2.1, but other than that, you SHOULD be set once you have created the proper WebOS Doctor image.

    As I said, I will help if you want to give it another try, since it DOES breathe new life into the Pre Plus. For those with the original Pre, WebOS 2.0 and 2.1 take up more RAM, so the 256MB RAM you have can cause 2.1 to run slower, even though it WILL run.
    Last Resort Emergency BootLoader Recovery - WebOS Internals
    that is what my phone needs i believe

    edit: i also see cygwin is no longer allowed to be used and i am a windows user :/
    Last edited by videogmike; 08/13/2011 at 11:46 AM.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    Ok, the way you survive the wait is to install WebOS 2.1.0 on your phone. Yes, it may take a bit of effort, and perhaps going through the learning curve of setting up Linux in a virtual machine, but the rewards are worth it. I love WebOS 2.1 on my AT&T Pre Plus, and with Flash and the overall improvements has helped me hold on with this wait.

    So, go for WebOS 2.1, and you can try the AV8B Kernel, which is also 1GHz, but instead of screen state to toggle from 500MHz to 1GHz, AV8B is 1GHz all the time, with the voltage being adjusted based on CPU demand. At the least, it will be a distraction. Just remember do use save/restore to back up your stuff and turn off the automatic backups to avoid problems. PM me if you need help/advice with the process.

    And yes, I DID do the upgrade without turning off backups, the result was I had to re-doctor my phone to 1.4.5 just to turn off backups(to get rid of account settings in my Palm Profile that were breaking the upgrade).
    If they just gave us a date it would really help. I don't want to go through the pain of this effort to upgrade the os if the pre 3 comes out 2 weeks later but if they tell us the date is 3 months from now I will do it. I already ditched my screen protector a few months ago because I was sick of replacing them as they peeled of my curved plastic screen because I figured I had a glass pre 3 weeks away -- not who knows when.

    I do believe HP ic committed to the mobile phone space because buying Palm is a huge expense solely to integrate webOS into tablets and pc's. Phones help to further integrate HP with their enterprise clients if they provide complimentary features between tablets, laptops, printers, etc.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions