Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By GodShapedHole
  • 1 Post By TopTongueBarry
  1.    #1  
    So has anyone heard anything about the pricing of the Pre 3? I know I've been a negative nancy lately on these boards but I am just saddened by the state of WebOS, but...

After dropping the ball bytaking FOREVER to release the Pre 3 after the Feb 9th announcement, and the fact that at this point the device is extremely out of date from a hardware standpoint, how much do you want to bet that HP prices the Pre 3 way out of it's market range?

Let's not forget that there are rumored 8 gb Pre 3 and 16 gb Pre 3 (which btw is a ridiculously small amount of local storage on devices nowadays). That leaves two price points at which there is no way that HP will price lower than the industry standard $50-$100 apart. I will guess that they will price it "competitively" like they did the Touchpad. I'm going to take the over under on that they'll make the 8 gb $200 and the 16 gb $250. If you expect it to be anything lower than that you've gotta be nuts. It'll look extremely weak if they have their flagship device for $99; though this is the price point at which it should be if they want it to even have a chance at succeeding. But this won't happen. Then they'll wonder why the device isn't selling when a 32gb iPhone 5 is only $200, 64 gb $300.

I know this is all speculation but what does everyone think? It might be fun to see people's thoughts.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcohengd View Post
    I know this is all speculation but what does everyone think? It might be fun to see people's thoughts.
    Perhaps you should direct your attention here then:

Launch price?
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    Today I just noticed on AT&T that they marked down the HP Veer (I believe it was this weekend they did it) to 1 cent. Now, this maybe because the HP Pre3 is going to release sometime soon and they don't want to have the HP Veer be $100 while you could get a much better device for a little more money. Idk, it is my hypothesis that now that the Veer is cheaper it may point to the Pre3 taking up the $100-$150 price range. The reason I say this is because look at for instance Nokia. Nokia this past week announced that they were going to make their first Windows phone cost cheaper than Android (around the $100 mark) while still being a high-end device. They are doing this because they know that by cutting their price down they are going to be able to gain sales and therefore gain more people adopting Windows Phone 7. I think HP wants to do the same thing. It just doesn't make much market sense to put out a phone with an OS that is now even behind WP7 at a higher price. Yes, you would still get the WebOS faithful, but I think HP wants to at LEAST steal the market from Blackberry. So, to do this they have to gain more sales and if people saw a high-end WebOS device for an affordable price, they would be more likely to give it a try.
    Is the Pre3 going to be anything but a bigger, faster Veer? Is the Veer lacking in processor speed to run WebOS? Serious question - I'm not being an ***.
    Expect a relatively high launch price (~Ä400) which will then drop to ~Ä250 fairly soon (within two months) when the ACTUAL "flagship" phone launches. And you won't find the words "business" or "office" more than once or twice in THAT phone's promotional stuff. You also won't find a keyboard on it that isn't virtual.

But that wasn't really the point of this thread, was it? Because otherwise you would've asked more straightforwardly without (obviously) trying to cram as many negative concepts in there as possible. I can't stand these threads anymore.
    The Pre3 isn't outdated at all. Sure, it won't pack the fastest available processor when it arrives. So that's what outdated means now? In that case, every iPhone ever has been badly outdated at release. The Pre3 has one of the quickest processors around today. Why isn't that enough if the phone runs smoothly?

Sad about the state of webOS? Sad about a huge globally operating corporation being in the process of making it a big thing on phones, tablets, PCs and printers? Liked "the state of webOS" better when an almost bankrupt company owned it and nobody knew whether webOS would die alongside Palm?

How did HP drop the ball? They have a two-month release cycle which they will stay in if the Pre3 is released in September. Is one new mobile device every two months bad? Does HTC make more? Does Motorola make more? Do those companies ALSO make their own OS and PCs it will run on? No? So please spare me with HP "dropping the ball".
    Should they only have announced the Veer in May, the TouchPad in July and the Pre3 in September, with only days before the launch? Do you think we'd have ANY apps in the TouchPad catalog today if they had done that? Because we have more apps than Honeycomb does.
    Have you ever worked in a company that went through a merger and STILL managed to push out a new product in time despite having to integrate different and previously separated workforces? Seriously, spare me.

Who says the Pre3 will be a "flagship"? If you look at promotional material, HP uses the words "business" and "office" so often it's obvious they're positioning it as a BlackBerry killer. It's not meant to take on keyboardless multimedia phones, otherwise it wouldn't have a keyboard (duh) and you'd see a bigger stress on "entertainment" and "lifestyle" in the promotional material. It's quite obvious that the Pre3 isn't a broadside "jack of all trades" phone meant for everybody - if it was meant as one, you wouldn't see that INCESSANT business-talk.

I keep seeing this thread over and over and over and over again, albeit differently phrased. What, pray tell, is the use of posting this thread over and over and over and over again, if not to try and dissuade people from buying a Pre3 by planting the notion that it is "outdated" in their heads when it clearly isn't?
    How is the Pre3 going to be slower now than it would've been back in Spring?

So you're saying whatever HP is gonna price it is gonna be wrong because the price is EITHER too high OR too low, without any possible middle ground?

Spare me, spare me.

Quote Originally Posted by Overtravel View Post
    Is the Pre3 going to be anything but a bigger, faster Veer? Is the Veer lacking in processor speed to run WebOS? Serious question - I'm not being an ***.
    It's a bigger, faster Veer with a better rear camera, a front-facing camera, compass, and LED flashlight.
    Similarly, I suppose you could argue that all any Smartphone is, is a bigger, faster Nokia 3610 with a different operating system. (Also not trying to be an *** - just saying that there's only so much difference between cellphones when you get right down to it.)
    The Veer isn't lacking processor speed most of the time - it is buttery smooth and only rarely gets performance 'hiccups' like scrolling stutters. But compare the Veer's performance to, say, the competing Samsung Galaxy Mini and the Veer is way better, with way fewer stutters and lags.
    In fact, webOS 2 runs WAY better on the Veer's processor than Android 2 does on the T-Mobile G2 (which has the same processor as the Veer).
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I keep seeing this thread over and over and over and over again, albeit differently phrased. What, pray tell, is the use of posting this thread over and over and over and over again...?
    No use, of course, but give people a break. What else is there to do when HP still have not released this damned phone? It's only the frustration venting.
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Who says the Pre3 will be a "flagship"? If you look at promotional material, HP uses the words "business" and "office" so often it's obvious they're positioning it as a BlackBerry killer. It's not meant to take on keyboardless multimedia phones, otherwise it wouldn't have a keyboard (duh) and you'd see a bigger stress on "entertainment" and "lifestyle" in the promotional material. It's quite obvious that the Pre3 isn't a broadside "jack of all trades" phone meant for everybody - if it was meant as one, you wouldn't see that INCESSANT business-talk.
    The only problem I have with your post is about flagship devices not having a keyboard. I have to disagree, whether it has a keyboard or not doesn't determine whether it's a flagship device. Do you see more flagship devices without them? Yes. But that doesn't mean there aren't some that have them (ex: Verizon has the Motorola Droid 3 and T-Mobile has the MyTouch 4G Slide). It is just what people prefer. Some people like having the physical keyboard because they type faster on them or because it feels weird to type on a virtual keyboard. It's also preferable for texting while driving .
    I answered in the previous thread two weeks ago but I guess a lot has changed since then. We always knew HP/Palm releases with one exclusive US carrier but two weeks ago I guess I was still dreaming that was not true. Then came the AT&T TouchPad 4G leak and the Verizon roadmap without an HP product.

So the Pre 3 will be serving 3 to 6 at AT&T state.

Take a look at AT&T's Current Smartphones:

The Pre 3 has similar specs to last summer's 480 x 800 pixels and 512MB Captivate at $49. The Captivate is lighter and smaller with a 4" screen. and adds microSD, zoom, and DLNA. The the Galaxy S phones are soon to be obsoleted with the Galaxy S II release on September 8th.

The next price-point at AT&T is $99 where you find the Atrix at 960x540, microSD, HDMI, DLNA, zoom, 4", smaller, and lighter.

See Phone Arena's Comparison.

Beyond that you are up against the Infuse and iPhone 4.

So by that argument, the Pre 3 needs to be under $49?

More likely HP will price the Pre 3 to match the iPhone just like the TouchPad initially price matched the iPad 2.

So my guess is the Pre 3 will be $199.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    So the Pre 3 will be serving 3 to 6 at AT&T state.
    Is that a university?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    circadia likes this.
    The original quote was from Johnny Cash, "...serving 5 to 10 at Folsom state."
    My guess is actually launching the pre3 @ $129-$149 within 2 months launching the slab @$199

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Palm prē-ist.
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    My guess is actually launching the pre3 @ $129-$149 within 2 months launching the slab @$199

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    At $0.01, the Veer is ranked number 52 on the Amazon Best Selling Cell phones. The Veer is free at Best Buy and ranked #43.

As we heard from PreCentral, HP thinks it is a sign of weakness to price for the market. They only dropped the TouchPad price after being in 19th place for a month. Now at $399, it is #13.

In order to price the Pre 3 at $149, they would have to reduce the price of the Veer.

There are some who will buy a Pre 3 at any price. Get all you can at first. Wait 30 days and then drop to $99. Wait another 30 days and be free on contract.

If they are true to form, in 3-6 months they will release the Pre 4 on Verizon.
  13.    #13  
    I guess we were all wrong. Pre 3 won't be released at all...

I hate you HP
    they made the decision a couple of days ago and finally after the coming 2 days told us the truth . well not the whole truth just a general media statement. Nothing specific or really honest about what actually went on and what will be. Im not lieing.