Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hiya,

Does anyone know if there is going to be a proper Sat Navigation app for the UK Pre 3 ?

Cheers

EN4
    The chances are that NDrive will run on the Pre3 out of the box. But watch out for the 1 degree West of Greenwich bug, which in WebOS2.x cripples any turn by turn navigation program whilst in that zone (roughly between J9 M4 and Greenwich and all the way to the North and South Poles). Maybe HP have fixed it or maybe not, unfortunately they are non committal on their answers.
    I'm in the Beta for this and I've just ordered my Pre 3. As soon as I receive it I will contact NDrive to test it out. I'm in the area where the GPS error occurs, so I will know straight away. I wish HP would fix this, NDrive build a work around.
  4. H
    How long does ndrive provide map updates for after purchasing?
    This is the best I could find.

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.ndrive.com/general-terms

While acquiring an NDrive product, the customer acknowledges that is acquiring a life-time license for the product as it is presented in the date of purchase. The license is only valid to a unique device (non-transmissible) and any map update or software upgrade may have costs associated to it.
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    I would be happy if you test our Navit port. That we know if it works or not. You can find it in Preware.
    The best would be to enable the testing feed and install the latest version and also the Navit-Maps helper app. You need the helper app for on device map download.

HaPe
  7. H
    Quote Originally Posted by Casion View Post
    This is the best I could find.
    Thanks. Seems like fairly normal legal jargon. Would be nice if they promised updates for at least two years which is probably the most common contract length now.

Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
    I would be happy if you test our Navit port. That we know if it works or not. You can find it in Preware.
    The best would be to enable the testing feed and install the latest version and also the Navit-Maps helper app. You need the helper app for on device map download.

HaPe
    I certainly intend to give navit a try. However some of the openstreetmap coverage around my area is quite spotty

HaPe
    Of course I will try Navit out. Unfortunately it suffers from the same issue as NDrive due to the PDK. I used to love Navit until WebOS 2.1. It was the prime example of how Homebrew came to the rescue when no other party would help us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casion View Post
    Of course I will try Navit out. Unfortunately it suffers from the same issue as NDrive due to the PDK. I used to love Navit until WebOS 2.1. It was the prime example of how Homebrew came to the rescue when no other party would help us.
    I had another attempt to extract information from HP support about what they are doing about the bug. Unfortunately things have gone downhill as they now claim this is not a bug and is a developer issue. If that is the case the Pre3 will also suffer from it. If not, then they will have fixed it and maybe an eventual OS update to the Pre2 will do the same trick.

Still, since Google map based apps don't suffer from it, I wonder why NDrive cannot fix the issue on their own.

I have deleted non relevant lines from the HP tech support conversation below.

14:01 Martin.F: From the description you provided I understand that you have an issue related to the GPS application, is that correct?
    14:01 AAM: yes!
    14:30 Martin.F: I have been talking to my mentor and he explained to me that this is a third party application and the developers are working to fix it. But as this depends on the third party developers, we do not have an estimated time for this to be corrected.
    14:33 AAM: Thank you. I have been told the issue is related to a bug in WebOS2.x. Does this mean your mentor is saying there is no such bug in WebOS 2.x? I have used two separate SatNav apps developed by separate people and both have exactly the same issue. NDrive and Navit.
    14:36 Martin.F: Yes, you are right. The developer must adapt the application to WebOS. We cannot adapt the application for them.
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Amohazab View Post
    14:01 Martin.F: From the description you provided I understand that you have an issue related to the GPS application, is that correct?
    14:01 AAM: yes!
    14:30 Martin.F: I have been talking to my mentor and he explained to me that this is a third party application and the developers are working to fix it. But as this depends on the third party developers, we do not have an estimated time for this to be corrected.
    14:33 AAM: Thank you. I have been told the issue is related to a bug in WebOS2.x. Does this mean your mentor is saying there is no such bug in WebOS 2.x? I have used two separate SatNav apps developed by separate people and both have exactly the same issue. NDrive and Navit.
    14:36 Martin.F: Yes, you are right. The developer must adapt the application to WebOS. We cannot adapt the application for them.
    That is stupid. It is a webos bug, full stop. It only effects PDK apps (like Navit or NDrive) all Mojo apps (like google maps or all the other GPS apps) are not effected as the use a different api to get the data from the webos system.
    Navit and NDrive are the only PDK apps that uses GPS data as fare as I know.

HaPe

HaPe
    That is stupid. It is a webos bug, full stop. It only effects PDK apps (like Navit or NDrive) all Mojo apps (like google maps or all the other GPS apps) are not effected as the use a different api to get the data from the webos system.

HaPe
    And here is to add insult to injury:

14:37 AAM: Thank you. Presumably it would be OK for me to publish this conversation as the WebOS community (as well as the developers) acknowledge this as a WebOS bug rather than a developer issue.
    14:38 Martin.F: Perfect! Is there anything else I can do for you besides this?

Following the above conversation I tweeted to Adora, Ndrive, Palm, Palm_UK, and RichardKerris about HP's change of heart and if a fix was in the works. Naturally no answers from them...
    I noticed that nDrive didn't install so I guess that it is not yet available on the Pre3 - so I no longer have it!!?? Which is slightly annoying.
    ___
    My Palm PDA history: m130 > Tungsten T > Tungsten T|X > Pre 2 > HP Pre 3 (unlocked)
    My Mobile history: Nokia 5146 > 3110 > Samsung D900 > N73 > Nokia 6300 > Pre 2 (convergence!) > HP Pre 3
    My Tablet history: HP TouchPad 32Gb (model A - 1st gen)
  13.    #13  
    I wonder if TomTom would fancy a go?
  14. H
    Hi HaPe,

I have this error when installing through preware

-1: Unable to run command: /usr/bin/curl --user-agent Preware --create-dirs --insecure --location --fail --show-error --output /media/internal/.developer/org.webosinternals.navit_0.5.0.4353-1_armv7.ipk http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-...53-1_armv7.ipk 2>&1
    % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- 0:00:08 --:--:-- 0
    0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- 0:00:09 --:--:-- 0
    curl: (7) couldn't connect to host
    I think there is a navit topic somewhere but I'll put it here for now as there is just as much a chance I did something wrong :P

Edit: It launches though? Need to install some maps now

HaPe

HaPe
    Wow! 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

HP respect -1 point
    For Navit users: Good news, there seems to be a fix to the GPS location bug. I have done a very quick test and seems to work so far. Thank you noradtux.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...ml#post3074499
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Can you use google maps for GPS navigation? does it come built in the Pre3?
    Last edited by alonhzn; 08/19/2011 at 04:47 PM.
    Pre 3 apparently comes with Bing maps which is similar to Google maps. Not sure if it provides turn by turn navigation. My own experience of using Google maps to navigate whilst driving is that it is a pretty awful substitute for a turn-by-turn SatNav, and can be also be dangerous.

But Navit is free Turn by turn solution, which will hopefully run on the Pre3.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    There is Bing map in Pre3 but not turn by turn.

nDrive cannot be installed yet.

I'm looking forward to try out a proper turn by turn Navigation application.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Amohazab View Post
    But Navit is free Turn by turn solution, which will hopefully run on the Pre3.
    Maybe you can run it on Pre3 now! Using WebOS Internals tools to run Ubuntu apps on WebOS devices, maybe you can run the Ubuntu version of navit
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast