Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes
    And yet another version, this should also work on Pre3. The skin needs some work, though
    Quote Originally Posted by noradtux View Post
    And yet another version, this should also work on Pre3. The skin needs some work, though
    nDrive? Got a link?
    No, Navit. It was also asked here.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
    I would be happy if you test our Navit port. That we know if it works or not. You can find it in Preware.
    The best would be to enable the testing feed and install the latest version and also the Navit-Maps helper app. You need the helper app for on device map download.
    I've tried Navit ... it doesn't really seem to do much and now it shows a mostly black screen, but I don't know if that's because I did something wrong or not.

PM me if you'd like me to try anything specific.
    Check out Movie Diary.
    The fine people from NDrive have already asked for Pre 3 testers, and I hope to be one of those, after emailing "beta.tester@ndrive.com".
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    The fine people from NDrive have already asked for Pre 3 testers, and I hope to be one of those, after emailing "beta.tester@ndrive.com".
    Thanks, I offered myself as a betatester (I live in Italy).
    I'll gladly pay for NDrive if it works well!
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    If you are struggling to get Ndrive to pick up the GPS - go to your location services - and choose Locate me using GPS - the default is Google/Bing. Then it will get a lock.
    Got ndrive on beta for pre3, wasn't working (according to them) but once the OTA update was applied, all OK.

Email them and ask to be a beta tester.
    NDrive beta now works on the Pre3. So it should be available some day

It seems like a perfectly fine Nav app to me, I'll pay for it when I'm out of beta.
    Anyone able to give a link to the ipkg for ndrive beta? I want to pay for it, I have begged to be added in a load of locations but they seem resistant? Like they don't want my money?

Visiting friends yesterday nearly ended up with divorce papers being signed between my wife and I just using Bing Maps directions...

Me: "Are we still on the blue line?"
    Her: "Stupid thing!"... *wildly starts tapping screen*
    Quote Originally Posted by scaramanga89 View Post
    If you are struggling to get Ndrive to pick up the GPS - go to your location services - and choose Locate me using GPS - the default is Google/Bing. Then it will get a lock.
    OUCH! Great tip, thankyou! Until now, I was getting weird unprecise locations, without compass and speed indications, even in the builtin diagnostic app (dialling #*GPS#). I started suspecting that this locations didn't actually come from the GPS, but from internet location services.

Now you've made me realize that's something I can choose, so I've opened the "Location Services" app in "System", swiped down the top left menu, and disabled Google location. I'll have to test again, with Navit, which supposedly is able to read correctly the GPS (have the latest beta from the testing feeds via Preware). Right now, it gives funky jumping location... And crashes.
    Guess what? IT WORKS! The only thing I had to do is disable Google in the Location services app.
    I don't know why, it seems that Google location data has precedence over the GPS.

I did some tests walking yesterday night: First, the inbuilt Bing Maps app, which worked very slowly, but that's because I've exhausted this month's data plan, and I'm on glacial plain 3G speeds to download map tiles.

Next came Navit, which knows how to deal with the famous "GPS bug" that affects everything west side of Greenwich. It worked fine, except for some little degree jumps in orientation. I've had never seen this before, but it might me due to be walking, instead of riding my motorcycle or driving my car.

It also didn't crash like it usually did on me several times. Do you know why it's unable to find many streets, that were indeed found in the previous versions for the original Pre? I'm using exactly the same map files, done by myself in the fantastic Navit Planet Extractor.

Finally, NDrive came and, to my surprise, it indeed works great. I thought it would suffer from the "GPS bug", as it hasn't been updated like Navit.

All these tests were done with several other cards open, and while listening to music. All went smooth in this Pre 3, no glitch, no lag, no nothing. That's impressive, compared to how my poor original Pre struggled to just open a single navigation app, as it was permanently working in swap memory.

Those were heroic times - The Pre 3 is a champion!
    brum likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    Guess what? IT WORKS! The only thing I had to do is disable Google in the Location services app.
    I don't know why, it seems that Google location data has precedence over the GPS.
    How does one disable the Google location data? I am hoping that Navit (which I have used well if data connection or Wifi is on) will use the GPS option on the Pre3 without the need to spend on downloading from my service provider.

My old HP iPaq worked well with this and I paid nothing for data downloads. Hoping the same can be true for the Pre3?

Thanks.

ps - Ndrive is no longer available for WebOS!
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulscarbs View Post
    How does one disable the Google location data? I am hoping that Navit (which I have used well if data connection or Wifi is on) will use the GPS option on the Pre3 without the need to spend on downloading from my service provider.

My old HP iPaq worked well with this and I paid nothing for data downloads. Hoping the same can be true for the Pre3?

Thanks.

ps - Ndrive is no longer available for WebOS!

You can disable Google location data by flipping the On/Off switch on the bottom of the Location Services app. That section is called "Background Data Collection".
    Last edited by trillexer; 08/16/2012 at 01:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trillexer View Post
    You can disable Google location data by flipping the On/Off switch on the bottom of the Location Services app. That section is called "Background Data Collection".
    Many thanks, I've done that and still no good. Navit still requires a connection. What on earth is the GPS feature for on the Pre3?

I would have thought that if that was on then the Sat Nav program would work whether the wifi or data is off or not!

Does my Pre3 have a problem with this feature or is it indicative of the handset?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulscarbs View Post
    Many thanks, I've done that and still no good. Navit still requires a connection. What on earth is the GPS feature for on the Pre3?

I would have thought that if that was on then the Sat Nav program would work whether the wifi or data is off or not!

Does my Pre3 have a problem with this feature or is it indicative of the handset?
    I have just turned off data and WiFi on my EU Pre 3, went outside for a few minutes and got a GPS fix and good map position on Navit. I would download one of the GPS utilities and check out the GPS operation if I were you.
    My first Pre3 had flacky GPS that barely worked (8GB model). The 16GB (AT&T) works perfectly, even indoors, close to a window.

/Malte
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    NAVIT by itself does not require a data connection provided you have a relevant map already downloaded. However if you want to get exact street number locations using the Navit-Maps and Just Type feature NAVIT does require it.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123