Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    HP Pre 3 vs BlackBerry Torch 9810 - Comparison - Know Your Mobile

Pretty sure they are mistaken about the dual core processor in the Pre 3, but they say they chose the winner based mostly on the strengths of WebOS 2.2. I'll take it! (:
    orange UK says dual core too cool!
    pic of the pre3 shows att as carrier
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    is that something to be that proud of?
    dual core - um, yeah
    I don't believe they got the processor right. Qualcomm's APQ8060 on their website state that it does not have wwan. This is the same processor on the wifi touchpad. Can't be correct since it's a cell phone, needing support from cell towers (wwan).

Also, webos 2.2 is not in the same vein as 3.0. 2.2 is mojo w/ enyo support and 3.0 is enyo if I'm not mistaken.
    I think this dual core spec has been cited already as inaccurate. Everyone keeps saying it is a single core.

As a side note it is funny how they do of a review for a phone that nobody can actually test....other than maybe a pre-production unit.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    I think this dual core spec has been cited already as inaccurate. Everyone keeps saying it is a single core.

As a side note it is funny how they do of a review for a phone that nobody can actually test....other than maybe a pre-production unit.
    It is possible that the Pre 3 that went out to Touchpad reviewers was an early version that DID have the single-core 1.4GHz processor, but since then, the CPU may have changed. I am not saying that is the case, but everyone that insists(due to having one of those evaluation units) it will be released with a single-core processor also doesn't have a retail version of the Pre 3.

HP is very familiar with building the same PC with multiple CPU configurations, so they may have made a number of single-core Pre 3 phones, but then decided to upgrade the actual release device to dual-core. Does anyone know if the dual-core processor used for the Touchpad has the same pin-outs as the single-core 1.4GHz that was planned for the Pre 3?
    This dual core thing still continues to pop up. I think HPUK made a mistake on their website a few weeks ago, and listed the touchpad processor on their pre 3 page. Some eagle eye spotted it and the the thing circulated on the net for a while, but it turned out to be a typo...

I think someone on these boards (or I may have read it somewhere else) contacted HP and asked about the change, and they confirmed it was a typo and promptly changed it back about a day later..

Of course that didn't stop people from continuting to post 'AmaZlor: Pre 3 now got DuAL CORZ!!!' articles with depressing regularity, and I think thats why there still seems to be speculation that there has been an upgrade.

I don't believe they got the processor right. Qualcomm's APQ8060 on their website state that it does not have wwan. This is the same processor on the wifi touchpad. Can't be correct since it's a cell phone, needing support from cell towers (wwan).

Also, webos 2.2 is not in the same vein as 3.0. 2.2 is mojo w/ enyo support and 3.0 is enyo if I'm not mistaken.
    Yeah it was discounted pretty quick using this argument (which is way beyond my understanding of mobile chips), but of course the speculation articles had been posted by then.

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the dual core thing only keeps going because people keep onwards posting this rumour
    Global Posts
    718 Global Posts
    Dual core = release delay and I don't mind that
    One could only hope the Pre3 packs a MSM8660 instead of a APQ8060 (AP Only).
    Duel.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    In other news, in their hotly anticipated matchup, a pegasus outraced a thoroughbred.
    nappy likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Duel.
    What?
    Quote Originally Posted by leonkehoe View Post
    What?
    I think the point is that 'Duel' as in competition between two opponents, is spelt with an 'e'. Especially relevant as spelling it 'Dual' in the thread title leads to all kinds of misunderstanding to do with Dual core processor that the Pre has be rumoured to but actually DOES NOT HAVE.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyf View Post
    I think the point is that 'Duel' as in competition between two opponents, is spelt with an 'e'. Especially relevant as spelling it 'Dual' in the thread title leads to all kinds of misunderstanding to do with Dual core processor that the Pre has be rumoured to but actually DOES NOT HAVE.
    That we know of. Without anyone from HP who really knows, we don't know that the Pre 3 devices that went out for Touchpad reviews were not made from a pre-production run that had the single-core processor, while the full production Pre 3 could have a dual-core processor. This is the problem with HP not talking, there are many possibilities that are possible, and HP just has not clarified the situation.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eallan View Post
    is that something to be that proud of?
    at this point I believe people would vote for a Toaster oven over a blackberry.

The toaster may or may not feature HP webOS
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    That we know of. Without anyone from HP who really knows, we don't know that the Pre 3 devices that went out for Touchpad reviews were not made from a pre-production run that had the single-core processor, while the full production Pre 3 could have a dual-core processor. This is the problem with HP not talking, there are many possibilities that are possible, and HP just has not clarified the situation.
    I really really don't think there is a dual core in the Pre. For a start, the only source that said this was a (sloppy but understandable) copy paste error on the UK HP website, which replaced some Pre specs with Touchpad ones. All the subsequent sources have stemmed from this one typo, which was acknowledged by HP and corrected. Suggestion that the production model is upgraded from the prototypes is just speculation from this original rumour.

It is only because the initial rumour was linked onwards by loads of tech blogs and has somehow become accepted. People keep posting it, even though HP said it was an error and corrected it after a few days.

In any case, as I understand it, the HP touchpad CPU doesn't support wwan, so wouldn't work in the Pre anyway.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    I really really don't think there is a dual core in the Pre. For a start, the only source that said this was a (sloppy but understandable) copy paste error on the UK HP website, which replaced some Pre specs with Touchpad ones. All the subsequent sources have stemmed from this one typo, which was acknowledged by HP and corrected. Suggestion that the production model is upgraded from the prototypes is just speculation from this original rumour.

It is only because the initial rumour was linked onwards by loads of tech blogs and has somehow become accepted. People keep posting it, even though HP said it was an error and corrected it after a few days.

In any case, as I understand it, the HP touchpad CPU doesn't support wwan, so wouldn't work in the Pre anyway.
    With HP saying nothing, all we can really do is speculate and dream that SOMEONE at HP got a clue. You are probably right, but I am sick of there being no statements of any kind from HP about the Pre 3...you would expect they would start mentioning it here and there, even if they don't mention any release dates or anything.
    I totally missed the mistake in the title.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast