Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
  1.    #1  
    Derek pretty much hit the nail on the head. HP has waited far too long to release this device. It may not be DOA but, as Derek points out, it will NOT be the device that breathes new life into WebOS.

Six months without the HP Pre3 [editorial] | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Derek pretty much hit the nail on the head. HP has waited far too long to release this device. It may not be DOA but, as Derek points out, it will NOT be the device that breathes new life into WebOS.

Six months without the HP Pre3 [editorial] | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net
    Agreed. The HP Pre3 is not the device that "...breathes new life into webOS." Consider all that HP has achieved within the first year since acquiring Palm. So hopefully within the next 2 quarters HP unveils a brand new line of "HP OEM" webOS devices.
    HP said from the beginning, a new device every TWO months. So september is right on time. It may not breath new life into webOS as a huge device for consumers. But it will definitely breath new life in MY world when I get one.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by fred1955 View Post
    Agreed. The HP Pre3 is not the device that "...breathes new life into webOS." Consider all that HP has achieved within the first year since acquiring Palm. So hopefully within the next 2 quarters HP unveils a brand new line of "HP OEM" webOS devices.
    I don't think HP really has any choice but to go back to the drawing board after the Pre 3. Many of use love the Pre form factor, but shoddy hardware doomed the original from the outset and the Pre brand never seemed to recover. HP has failed miserably at invigorating the form factor. All that's left is to come up with something original. And they need to do so aggressively. 6 months between announcement and release shows that HP is either playing amateur hour for smartphones, or that they really don't care about smartphones (which is basically what they said at the outset).
    fmarcanojr and Derek_B like this.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    HP said from the beginning, a new device every TWO months. So september is right on time. It may not breath new life into webOS as a huge device for consumers. But it will definitely breath new life in MY world when I get one.
    It doesn't matter what HP said. If they said they'd release a new phone every 5 years and they kept their word, would that matter? The market moves way too fast for HP's current pace. We're going on 10 months since the Pre 2 first became available in the U.S (I would count the Veer if it wasn't a total flop). Would anyone like to venture a guess how many Android devices have been released in that same time?
    fmarcanojr and Hobbz like this.
    It doesn't matter what HP said. If they said they'd release a new phone every 5 years and they kept their word, would that matter? The market moves way too fast for HP's current pace. We're going on 10 months since the Pre 2 first became available in the U.S (I would count the Veer if it wasn't a total flop). Would anyone like to venture a guess how many Android devices have been released in that same time?
    Well just a personal opinion, I dont think HP is worried about making a lot of money real fast. I think they have a lot going on behind the scenes that they are trying to put together to have that whole webOS ecosystem they were talking about. Until they are at the point they want to be at with that, I dont see them pushing hard towards consumers. Instead, they are releasing phones just to get their name out there in the phone market.

And as far as Android phones go, they are made by a bunch of different companies. Instead, think about this, how many android phones has Google themselves put out in that time?
    fmarcanojr likes this.
  7.    #7  
    Well just a personal opinion, I dont think HP is worried about making a lot of money real fast. I think they have a lot going on behind the scenes that they are trying to put together to have that whole webOS ecosystem they were talking about. Until they are at the point they want to be at with that, I dont see them pushing hard towards consumers. Instead, they are releasing phones just to get their name out there in the phone market.

And as far as Android phones go, they are made by a bunch of different companies. Instead, think about this, how many android phones has Google themselves put out in that time?
    True about Android, but the simple fact is that WebOS is competing against Android. Obviously we can't expect HP to match, or even come close to, the output of ALL suppliers of Android phones, but they need to move quicker or they're just going to trampled by the herd. I believe the Pre 3 is the last of the ideas generated by Palm and we can expect to see something very different for the next WebOS smartphone. Of course, there's the possibility that the Pre 3 will fail to impress and HP will revert back to not really caring about smartphones (like they pretty much said at the outset) and focus on the tablet aspect. I hope you're right and HP has some behind-the-scenes plan for WebOS devices.
    True about Android, but the simple fact is that WebOS is competing against Android. Obviously we can't expect HP to match, or even come close to, the output of ALL suppliers of Android phones, but they need to move quicker or they're just going to trampled by the herd. I believe the Pre 3 is the last of the ideas generated by Palm and we can expect to see something very different for the next WebOS smartphone. Of course, there's the possibility that the Pre 3 will fail to impress and HP will revert back to not really caring about smartphones (like they pretty much said at the outset) and focus on the tablet aspect. I hope you're right and HP has some behind-the-scenes plan for WebOS devices.
    Well they have mentioned webOS, of some degree, on computers. They have shown the TouchPad and Pre 3 communicating with each other (which sadly, the veer doesnt even do yet). If they can get these three types of devices, and maybe more, to communicate with each other easily, I think they will have something to start pushing. Until then, I think people are just going to be frustrated getting a device every two months.

Also, I think the Pre 3 might do well just because of its size. People in general are more attracted to bigger phones now. The veer might have been a mistake since not many people want a tiny phone. But if people go into a store and see a nice big screen they will start playing with it. Combine that with webOS running at 1.4 GHz and it might sell to more people. I think, no matter what, it will do better than the Veer.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    if u look at things looking back then yes the pre3 is too lil too late. it just simply does not have the mass appeal of a slab phone, and the people that did like it were burned enough that carriers are even against putting it out.

looking forward, we know HP is targeting 5 to 6 webos devices to be launched this year. im not sure if we should add the pre2 to that list, but for sure we have the Veer, Touchpad, pre3, now the touchpad GO.

so based on this, there is at least 1-2 devices still lurking in the wings. hopefully one of those is the slab phone (to which i thought would be named touchpad GO, and the 7 inch touchpad would be named touchpad 7). If they can push out a slab phone that is LTE 4g by oct or nov. i think webos will be ok.

if they can't put it out, webos will be truly hurting specially since blackberry's new OS is so similar to webos.

Personally, i would make a deal with firefox or operah and have them design the browser for webos. HP needs to have all of their talent focused on developing the hell out of webos...
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    As an HP shareholder I certainly hope they feel more pressure to make something of the $1.2 B they spent on WebOS than you are making it out to be. A quick look of the 3 yr trend for HPQ might show you something if you take a glance at the trend that happened on or around the first half of F’10 when the merger was going through. Note, the light blue line which represents the overall market segment HP plays in. Simply put, HP hasn’t been over performing since the acquisition. Anyone that thinks HP has “years and years” to win this “marathon” doesn’t understand how Wall Street works.

But see, this isn’t a childish “My dad is bigger than your dad” argument. It doesn’t matter how many phones are released by any one manufacturer. What matters is how many total devices per OS are available to attract App developers and the like. Unless you ascribe to the belief that apps don’t matter.

Apple can justify app attention with just a couple phones. Android can justify attention with many phones from many manufacturers. It remains to be seen if HP can copy the former while eschewing the latter strategy. So far they haven’t been doing so well.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    As an HP shareholder I certainly hope they feel more pressure to make something of the $1.2 B they spent on WebOS than you are making it out to be. A quick look of the 3 yr trend for HPQ might show you something if you take a glance at the trend that happened on or around the first half of F’10 when the merger was going through. Note, the light blue line which represents the overall market segment HP plays in. Simply put, HP hasn’t been over performing since the acquisition. Anyone that thinks HP has “years and years” to win this “marathon” doesn’t understand how Wall Street works.
    You are right, I dont know how wall street works. That was just my own logic and opinion. My only point here was that HP has the money to put out a device here and there and not make millions on it for the first year. HP is still, first and foremost, a computer and printer company. Yeah, they spent all that money on purchasing Palm and I still believe they are planning on doing something big with it. We just haven't seen it yet. From what I took from their vision of webOS is that they are planning on using it on many different products and having all these products communicate with each other. Sharing information between phones, printers, tablets, computers and possibly more. This is something no one has done yet. And if they can be the first one to do this and have it work, I think thats $1.2 B well spent. Technology takes time to perfect, not necessarily one year.

But see, this isn’t a childish “My dad is bigger than your dad” argument. It doesn’t matter how many phones are released by any one manufacturer. What matters is how many total devices per OS are available to attract App developers and the like. Unless you ascribe to the belief that apps don’t matter.

Apple can justify app attention with just a couple phones. Android can justify attention with many phones from many manufacturers. It remains to be seen if HP can copy the former while eschewing the latter strategy. So far they haven’t been doing so well.

-Suntan
    And that comment was just a reply to the comment above it.
    HP also said no long time gaps between product announcements and product releases. How is that working out for them?

I don't doubt for a minute that releasing the Pre 3 would breath new life into your world, but I think the only people it will breath life into are the diehard webOS users that hang around this forum. In order for it to be any thing other than a failure it will have to breath life into users who are on the fence as to what device to purchase (Android, iOS, WP7, or webOS). I don't see this happening, and think that HP does not see this happening anytime soon either.

I don't think HP can continue to pour money into a product line that shows no signs of life (webOS smartphones). The Veer has not caught on at all and they effectively killed the Pre 2 by announcing the Pre 3 so far in advance of any type of release. Anyone who was potentially in the market for the Pre 2 put the brakes on their buying decision thinking that HP surely would release the Pre 3 early in summer. Since that hasn't happened you see even diehard webOS fans switching to other platforms (this site is littered with them) with the thought that they could come back to webOS if there is any type of success while they are enjoying their new device on their new contract.

My personal opinion is that webOS on smartphones is dead, not just DOA, but dead. I also think Derek knows this too and his editorial was just a precursor to announcing something that he currently cannot announce.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    HP also said no long time gaps between product announcements and product releases. How is that working out for them?

I don't doubt for a minute that releasing the Pre 3 would breath new life into your world, but I think the only people it will breath life into are the diehard webOS users that hang around this forum. In order for it to be any thing other than a failure it will have to breath life into users who are on the fence as to what device to purchase (Android, iOS, WP7, or webOS). I don't see this happening, and think that HP does not see this happening anytime soon either.

I don't think HP can continue to pour money into a product line that shows no signs of life (webOS smartphones). The Veer has not caught on at all and they effectively killed the Pre 2 by announcing the Pre 3 so far in advance of any type of release. Anyone who was potentially in the market for the Pre 2 put the brakes on their buying decision thinking that HP surely would release the Pre 3 early in summer. Since that hasn't happened you see even diehard webOS fans switching to other platforms (this site is littered with them) with the thought that they could come back to webOS if there is any type of success while they are enjoying their new device on their new contract.

My personal opinion is that webOS on smartphones is dead, not just DOA, but dead. I also think Derek knows this too and his editorial was just a precursor to announcing something that he currently cannot announce.
    So, you feel like HP has already pulled the plug on WebOS smartphones?
    I have one question. Only reason for delay of Pre 3 is OS, isnt it? Will there be some new functions implemented in OS in comparision with Veer? Compatibility with 3.* apps was mentioned but Im not sure if its confirmed. Wouldnt be it better to sell Pre3 for x-months already with OS version similar to Veer and then just push 3.* compatibility as update?
    We have no information that the Pre 3 has been delayed at all. HP said this summer. We still have a month left on summer. All of this is speculation.
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    I think its easier to look at someone's history, than to guess their future. HP has released smartphones at a rate of one every 2 years or so. The devices have had me too specs from the time they began development. (ipaqs were blackberry clones). They made no effort to sell them. They were generally sold unlocked, as carriers didn't offer them. Very few if us bought them. They were quickly forgotten.
  17.    #17  
    I believe it's been fairly well established that there is no real delay. Yes, yes, yes, yes, we all get that summer isn't over until September 23rd. But, simple reality is that when you announce something in February as being ready to release in the summer, the normal person would tend to think June, July or August but not September. This is what leads people to keep saying delay, because it feels like a delay. It's all about what people think of as summer. Most people don't plan summer vacations for the 3rd week of September. If a relative told you in February that they'd be in town during the summer, you wouldn't ask "What week of September?". When kids in school think of summer, they aren't thinking of the 3rd week in September. Go up to 50 random people on the street and ask them the name the first month they would associate with summer, and I guarantee you won't get a single person saying September. If HP wants to play the "We said summer!" card, that's fine. Most people will just too busy playing with their non-WebOS phones to pay attention.

We have 4 season and 12 months. The average person tends to group 3 months per season:

Spring = March, April, May
    Summer = June, July, August
    Winter = December, January, February
    Fall = September, October, November

HP could have used different wording to avoid the backlash from the WebOS faithful OR (better yet) they could have not announced a device that was nowhere close to be ready for release.
    Last edited by YankBoy; 08/11/2011 at 02:58 PM.
    koolkid09 likes this.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    I agree with the editorial. Its disappointing how HP made big promises and set high expectations and is falling short of delivering on the hype. All I know is my 2 y/o Pre is literally falling apart and I need a new phone soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    . Anyone that thinks HP has “years and years” to win this “marathon” doesn’t understand how Wall Street works.
    THANK YOU. I'm so tired of seeing that marathon quote on the other threads. It's a phrase that was played out long ago. They aren't running a charity.
    By the way, I'm ticked because I invested in webOS, mislead friends and family into thinking webOS was going to be competitive, and on top of that, now I have to learn a new ecosystem. Mmmmm the sweet taste of crow.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    By the way, I'm ticked because I invested in webOS, mislead friends and family into thinking webOS was going to be competitive, and on top of that, now I have to learn a new ecosystem. Mmmmm the sweet taste of crow.
    I haven't made a huge investment in WebOS yet. Just the $49.99 I paid for my Pre Plus and $20.00 I paid for my touchstones and car charger. I was all excited about being the first person of anyone I knew to get on board with this great new OS, but I tempered that enthusiasm with a little caution. With each passing day, I'm more glad I did b/c WebOS seems a little less likely to be a significant player.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast