Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 50 of 50
Like Tree20Likes
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    <<thread cleansed>>

    Folks... any more posts of the doom and gloom "webOS is dead" can be made elsewhere. There is a difference between posts calling out HP to get hardware released, and posts just to be angry. If you don't think webOS is for you - that's fine. But this site is dedicated to webOS enthusiasts.

    If you have questions about this, read our Letter to All Members before posting.

    Thanks.
    Is that applicable even when we're discussing a doom and gloom editorial written by PreCentral's Editor in Chief and posted on the front page?
  2. AZ8
    AZ8 is offline
    AZ8's Avatar
    Posts
    90 Posts
    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    I believe it's been fairly well established that there is no real delay. Yes, yes, yes, yes, we all get that summer isn't over until September 23rd. But, simple reality is that when you announce something in February as being ready to release in the summer, the normal person would tend to think June, July or August but not September. This is what leads people to keep saying delay, because it feels like a delay. It's all about what people think of as summer. Most people don't plan summer vacations for the 3rd week of September. If a relative told you in February that they'd be in town during the summer, you wouldn't ask "What week of September?". When kids in school think of summer, they aren't thinking of the 3rd week in September. Go up to 50 random people on the street and ask them the name the first month they would associate with summer, and I guarantee you won't get a single person saying September. If HP wants to play the "We said summer!" card, that's fine. Most people will just too busy playing with their non-WebOS phones to pay attention.

    We have 4 season and 12 months. The average person tends to group 3 months per season:

    Spring = March, April, May
    Summer = June, July, August
    Winter = December, January, February
    Fall = September, October, November

    HP could have used different wording to avoid the backlash from the WebOS faithful OR (better yet) they could have not announced a device that was nowhere close to be ready for release.
    This post reminded me of an old joke teachers use:

    Q: What are your three favorite things about teaching?
    A: June, July and August.



    Just a little humor to lighten the mood!
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Is that applicable even when we're discussing a doom and gloom editorial written by PreCentral's Editor in Chief and posted on the front page?
    The main article isn't doom and gloom, but calling out HP to get it in gear.
  4. #44  
    hey, end of summer has not passed yet.

    you know its bad when derek is getting inpatient.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    You also have no real reason to believe that it isn't going to get traction in the next 2 years... everything projected is based on it not being released yet... but, still, this falls within the scheduled time HP gave. JR confirmed that the "Summer" was the release time period, and refused to give even a more specific estimated date, when interviewed about this, by Josh T.

    My point is, the pessimism is unwarranted, despite the disappointment that we ALL feel it hasnt been released yet, while so many other devices on other platforms are appearing, ad nasuem.
    How is there no real reason to believe it won't get any traction?...
    WebOS is 2 years old...
    It hasn't really gotten any traction in those two years, especially in comparison to other OS'...to rationally think it will gain much more traction in the NEXT two years, given the history and the way things are currently going, would be nothing more than foolish and illogical...

    When most people think of "Summer", they think primarily of 2 months; June and July...HP knows this, and speaking to the average consumer, it doesn't matter when the season "technically" ends; they've missed their boat, and now a significantly smaller number of people are still waiting for this phone, me included...

    I sincerely hope they aren't eating up their time trying to put webOS on laptops and computers when clearly not that many people are interested in it on phones and tablets RIGHT NOW...

    These past two weeks with an Android phone (yes, I'm done with actually HOLDING OUT for the Pre 3) have made me wish there were more webOS options available currently, but sadly, I don't think that'll ever really be the case...
    eallan likes this.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by FleetwoodSho View Post
    How is there no real reason to believe it won't get any traction?...
    WebOS is 2 years old...
    It hasn't really gotten any traction in those two years, especially in comparison to other OS'...to rationally think it will gain much more traction in the NEXT two years, given the history and the way things are currently going, would be nothing more than foolish and illogical......
    This statement is false.

    Almost 3 million Pres were sold that first year, not bad traction for a little company running out of finances and up against the iPhone craze and dealing with the Verizon Droid debacle.

    Still, Palm was worth enough to be bought by HP, the largest tech company in the world, and, a year and half later, the Pre 2, Veer and ToughPad have been introduced to market, while we await the Pre 3 this "summer".

    The critics who loved WebOS in 2009 at CES are still loving it, but, have performance issues with the TP, size issues with the Veer and poor marketing issues with the Pre 2. But, they all still say its the best mobile OS out there.

    As HP catches up by maturing WebOS, the devices that they introduce WILL, imo, become more current state of the art hardware devices, as that would be the natural order of things.. last year, they were redesigning the OS for a bigger ecosystem that HP envisioned (and Palm obviously never did), so, hardware design was probably lagging.

    So, to answer your point, LOGICALLY, HP didnt spend all that money to NOT follow thier vision, and that is being met as they have said.. 1 device every 2 months or so.

    It is ILLOGICAL to say that they will or will NOT get market traction at this point, because, we just havent seen them enter the game full force yet.. when WebOS is matured and has devices entering the market at a pace and quality level that the rest of the mobile OS systems, with a full marketting campaign, THEN you can wait to see if "traction" is evident or not.. anything before that is, well, ILLOGICAL and unpragmatic, unless, of course, you are yeilding to your emotional side that reacts to impatience from the disappointment that the Pre 3 hasnt been released yet.

    Quote Originally Posted by FleetwoodSho View Post
    When most people think of "Summer", they think primarily of 2 months; June and July...HP knows this, and speaking to the average consumer, it doesn't matter when the season "technically" ends; they've missed their boat, and now a significantly smaller number of people are still waiting for this phone, me included......
    I think its irrational to think of "most people"'s thoughts about summer. Im a NYC boy, and summer, to me, parralleled to our summer vacations = late June to early September.



    Quote Originally Posted by FleetwoodSho View Post
    I sincerely hope they aren't eating up their time trying to put webOS on laptops and computers when clearly not that many people are interested in it on phones and tablets RIGHT NOW......
    People appear to be interested in fads right now. I believe, sincerely, that people don't want a "tablet", but, rather an iPad because its Apple, and Apple's hot right now.. the same thing with phones.. they want an iPhone or a Blackberry or a Droid - and NOT the best smartphone they have researched to find.. we are in the age of branding - people are buying brands blindly, now, despite the many choices available to them.

    Having said this, and believing it to be true, I believe HP is currently in a very strong branding campaign themselves, to identify their mobile products, as a distinct type of brand.

    Quote Originally Posted by FleetwoodSho View Post
    These past two weeks with an Android phone (yes, I'm done with actually HOLDING OUT for the Pre 3) have made me wish there were more webOS options available currently, but sadly, I don't think that'll ever really be the case...
    Well, I do understand your frustration.. I can honestly say that I wanted the Pre 3 out sooner, myself, but, let me offer the following 3 facts for you to consider:

    It is quite possible that other manufacturer's will be partnering with HP to with other hardware products to help spread the WebOS ecosystem theroughout the world. We have heard rumors of Samsung, and even LA sent a signal to HTC when asked if they approached HP to put WebOS on a smartphone, he said "that would certainly be something to consider".

    HP has been steadfast in their efforts to achieve thier sated goals.

    HP has embraced the Homebrew community, big time.

    The smart, logical thing to do here is to look at all of the facts, and not just the ones that help fuel your frustration and disappointment.

    The executives said, at least 3x's, that this is NOT a sprint, but a marathon.

    That cannot be overstated, in any regard.. its how HP is running their entry into the mobile market, no matter what spin you, I or any tech critic puts on it.

    If they succeed or fail, well, that's another thread topic, but, this kind of campaign WILL test our patience, and incite articles like Derek's home page article, which I totally ampathize with, because HP needs to know that we are watching, and waiting, and that there are ramifications for this long term plan that could cost them at least some of their loyal patrons.

    Last edited by LCGuy; 08/12/2011 at 07:20 AM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  7. Targon's Avatar
    Posts
    502 Posts
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    This statement is false.

    Almost 3 million Pres were sold that first year, not bad traction for a little company running out of finances and up against the iPhone craze and dealing with the Verizon Droid debacle.

    Still, Palm was worth enough to be bought by HP, the largest tech company in the world, and, a year and half later, the Pre 2, Veer and ToughPad have been introduced to market, while we await the Pre 3 this "summer".

    The critics who loved WebOS in 2009 at CES are still loving it, but, have performance issues with the TP, size issues with the Veer and poor marketing issues with the Pre 2. But, they all still say its the best mobile OS out there.

    As HP catches up by maturing WebOS, the devices that they introduce WILL, imo, become more current state of the art hardware devices, as that would be the natural order of things.. last year, they were redesigning the OS for a bigger ecosystem that HP envisioned (and Palm obviously never did), so, hardware design was probably lagging.

    So, to answer your point, LOGICALLY, HP didnt spend all that money to NOT follow thier vision, and that is being met as they have said.. 1 device every 2 months or so.

    It is ILLOGICAL to say that they will or will NOT get market traction at this point, because, we just havent seen them enter the game full force yet.. when WebOS is matured and has devices entering the market at a pace and quality level that the rest of the mobile OS systems, with a full marketting campaign, THEN you can wait to see if "traction" is evident or not.. anything before that is, well, ILLOGICAL and unpragmatic, unless, of course, you are yeilding to your emotional side that reacts to impatience from the disappointment that the Pre 3 hasnt been released yet.



    I think its irrational to think of "most people"'s thoughts about summer. Im a NYC boy, and summer, to me, parralleled to our summer vacations = late June to early September.





    People appear to be interested in fads right now. I believe, sincerely, that people don't want a "tablet", but, rather an iPad because its Apple, and Apple's hot right now.. the same thing with phones.. they want an iPhone or a Blackberry or a Droid - and NOT the best smartphone they have researched to find.. we are in the age of branding - people are buying brands blindly, now, despite the many choices available to them.



    I agree with this, and I have started to call the iPhone the iHype, because that is a big part of what sells Apple products right now. I will also mention that the "Pet Rock" was very popular for a time, and even though it has been decades since then, the American population as a whole has not gotten much better when it comes to thinking for yourself and buying what you feel is the best product FOR YOU. How many people bought a SUV that never had a need for a SUV and never even had to transport much? Hype, and "buying what is popular". You have people out there who can't even use a computer and finds ANY technology confusing looking to run out and buy an iPad because of all the hype.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    if u look at things looking back then yes the pre3 is too lil too late. it just simply does not have the mass appeal of a slab phone, and the people that did like it were burned enough that carriers are even against putting it out.

    looking forward, we know HP is targeting 5 to 6 webos devices to be launched this year. im not sure if we should add the pre2 to that list, but for sure we have the Veer, Touchpad, pre3, now the touchpad GO.

    so based on this, there is at least 1-2 devices still lurking in the wings. hopefully one of those is the slab phone (to which i thought would be named touchpad GO, and the 7 inch touchpad would be named touchpad 7). If they can push out a slab phone that is LTE 4g by oct or nov. i think webos will be ok.

    if they can't put it out, webos will be truly hurting specially since blackberry's new OS is so similar to webos.

    Personally, i would make a deal with firefox or operah and have them design the browser for webos. HP needs to have all of their talent focused on developing the hell out of webos...
    Yes there is mass appeal to the slab. Which is why Apple is laughing all the way to the bank suing Samsung and Motorola for all they are worth due to the copied 'slab' design', etc. Samsung, Motorola and HTC are going to have to probably end up paying royalties to Apple for every phone sold. Guess that might motivate them to sell more of them.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    This statement is false.

    Almost 3 million Pres were sold that first year, not bad traction for a little company running out of finances and up against the iPhone craze and dealing with the Verizon Droid debacle...
    There was no competition for the Pre. iOS was the only legitimate looking OS available with Android Cupcake being an impossible joke at that time. The Pre was competitive, hardware wise, with the smartphones available at its launch. Tons and tons of Pre owners took their devices back and got inferior Hero's because at least HTC's product didn't fall apart. This is not 2009, and there is no market share available for the Pre3 to gain traction. I'm sure the Pre3 would have been successful as a device if it was launched when it was competitive...
    eallan likes this.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Well just a personal opinion, I dont think HP is worried about making a lot of money real fast. I think they have a lot going on behind the scenes that they are trying to put together to have that whole webOS ecosystem they were talking about. Until they are at the point they want to be at with that, I dont see them pushing hard towards consumers. Instead, they are releasing phones just to get their name out there in the phone market.

    And as far as Android phones go, they are made by a bunch of different companies. Instead, think about this, how many android phones has Google themselves put out in that time?
    only the Nexus ...right ? Hey they just bought Moto
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions