Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 50
Like Tree20Likes
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    So, you feel like HP has already pulled the plug on WebOS smartphones?
    Yep, I certainly do. Granted, I have absolutely no more insight than anyone else, and probably a lot less than some, but that is what I feel is happening.

    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    ...the normal person would tend to think June, July or August but not September....
    It's well established that most of the webOS faithful aren't "normal" and would think that September 21st is indeed summer (yes, that was tongue in cheek). HP has said they are releasing in the UK at the end of August, so technically if they do that they have met their word of "summer", however the rest of your statement stands and everyone except for all those willing to give HP a pass will say they missed their target.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/11/2011 at 10:57 PM. Reason: deleted quoted text - original deleted
  2. #22  
    <staff edit>

    Me thinks you are projecting too much into what you "think" is happening, based on the fact the the Pre 3 hasnt been released yet - Im not really sure how you see this as a benefit in any way - doesnt it make sense to judge what HP does, and when it does it, versus making premature predictions based on a lack of events, that really aren't out of line with their own predictions?

    Just a throught provoking question for you to consider...

    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/11/2011 at 10:58 PM. Reason: deleted quote - original deleted
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

    RoverNole likes this.
  3. #23  
    I'm glad to see precentral staff putting the pressure on for HP to announce something. Hopefully this and all the other commentary from other tech sites will prompt them to give us a few crumbs. I just want a new phone. I'm not so sure about it being dead on arrival due to the success of the touchpad. QVC appears to be sold out. Several local areas sold out, HP is doing their best to get the touch pad into hands of others,, (just gave away 350) and have made several goodwill offers to keep current users: app catalog credits, price drops, etc. I think WebOS is an outstanding OS, people who use it, want it even if they don't like the hardware (pre-) and once you experience it, it makes it difficult to be limited to the lack of truly effortless multitasking on other platforms. As people learn more about it, I think they will want the other ADVERTISED features it offers, such as touch to share, so I think it may help with phone sales for the veer and pre3.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
  4. #24  
    I understand your frustration guys, I also can't wait to get my hands on one. But, really, do you think it really changes anything now, that it's released in July, August or September?

    March vs August would have made a difference. August or September...

    What I'm trying to say is try not to sound like you're going to hang yourself in the next minute and think how great the device we'll get will be.
    WebOS on a big screen, slim and tough, a keyboard, 1.4Ghz, touchstone technology, touch to share, Skype, etc...

    It's still very cool IMO.

    About HP and their releases... they focused on the touchpad... they delivered a brand new webos tablet with a new SDK, spec wise it's on par or better than competitors, design wise not so much. But overall, I say kudos to them. They got the veer out with an OS update in two monthes after announcement. That's two product releases in 3 monthes, they can't focus on everything at once I guess. Focussing on the Veer first was probably a mistake, but it was surely the one that was the fastest to get ready, and in order to calm down the angry precentral readers, it became a priority

    Add an earthquake in Japan, an highly necessary touchpad update, and you get a release date in end of August/September.

    Wall street may still not like it though.
    RoverNole likes this.
  5.    #25  
    This is a key issue. I was eager to buy into a new OS that looked like it had a lot of potential. Consequently, signing up for a 2 year contract wasn't a big deal b/c I thought something would really happen with WebOS. Now, however, I will be much more hesitant to commit for 2 more years to WebOS b/c I've seen how little has actually taken place since I got my Pre Plus. I've got to have a REAL reason to believe it's gonna get traction in the next 2 years.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/11/2011 at 10:59 PM. Reason: quote deleted - original deleted
  6. #26  
    Perhaps, but, I'll bet an unlocked version will be available, as well, or AT&T will of course, offer it off contract at a higher price. Maybe even the "world" phone, along with that.

    Its ok to be disappointed - that's only human.. but, in my sincere opinion, I think his prognistications are a bit premature and lopsided, at this point.

    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/11/2011 at 10:59 PM. Reason: quote deleted - original deleted
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    This is a key issue. I was eager to buy into a new OS that looked like it had a lot of potential. Consequently, signing up for a 2 year contract wasn't a big deal b/c I thought something would really happen with WebOS. Now, however, I will be much more hesitant to commit for 2 more years to WebOS b/c I've seen how little has actually taken place since I got my Pre Plus. I've got to have a REAL reason to believe it's gonna get traction in the next 2 years.
    You also have no real reason to believe that it isn't going to get traction in the next 2 years... everything projected is based on it not being released yet... but, still, this falls within the scheduled time HP gave. JR confirmed that the "Summer" was the release time period, and refused to give even a more specific estimated date, when interviewed about this, by Josh T.

    My point is, the pessimism is unwarranted, despite the disappointment that we ALL feel it hasnt been released yet, while so many other devices on other platforms are appearing, ad nasuem.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

    bevcraw likes this.
  8. #28  
    Also having real experience with webos due to the touchpad in and of itself will help with sales also. They will recognize it now. Phone reps were talking people out of palm phones, directing customers to phones THEY wanted them to have. Customers trusted them, because they expect the sales people to be experts when it comes to what phones can and can't do, and probably hadn't heard of webOS, even if they recognized the palm name. Now saying " Don't get this phone, get an android", "This phone is too confusing for you", might get countered with "I want the phone I can touch to share with my touchpad". Or, "I have a touchpad and I know the phone can do x,y,z.". I'm not holding my breath, but if HP ever finally kicks it into gear, I think they will be ok.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Derek pretty much hit the nail on the head. HP has waited far too long to release this device. It may not be DOA but, as Derek points out, it will NOT be the device that breathes new life into WebOS.



    Six months without the HP Pre3 [editorial] | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net
    Um Derek's editorial sounds exactly like my post in the forums from 2 days ago.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by jcohengd View Post
    Um Derek's editorial sounds exactly like my post in the forums from 2 days ago.
    And several hundred others as well.
  11. #31  
    Being an ardent supporter of Palm/Pre-/HP/WebOS, this make me question staying with the platform and I would expect others feel the same way. Pessimism is warranted because how things have been going down, or not going up or being fixed the last couple of years. Not having left WebOS nor do I want to but I am with Sprint and want to stay. Do I have ANY hope for a WebOS phone on Sprint, anytime soon? Pessimism is the order of the day in WebOS land.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by palm friend View Post
    Being an ardent supporter of Palm/Pre-/HP/WebOS, this make me question staying with the platform and I would expect others feel the same way. Pessimism is warranted because how things have been going down, or not going up or being fixed the last couple of years. Not having left WebOS nor do I want to but I am with Sprint and want to stay. Do I have ANY hope for a WebOS phone on Sprint, anytime soon? Pessimism is the order of the day in WebOS land.
    Of course you do.

    See my post above.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  13. #33  
    I haven't used WebOS until I got the TP this weekend, so I was wondering how exposed is WebOS to litigation from the likes of Apple? I imagine the relative low numbers of phones and devices using WebOS has kept it off of Apple's radar, but if things started to pickup...???
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacstar View Post
    I haven't used WebOS until I got the TP this weekend, so I was wondering how exposed is WebOS to litigation from the likes of Apple? I imagine the relative low numbers of phones and devices using WebOS has kept it off of Apple's radar, but if things started to pickup...???
    My understanding is that with Palm's extensive patent portfolio, apple has more to fear from them over any sort of copyright infringement.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
  15. #35  
    I could be happy with a pre 3 at age 41 I dont need to geek out that much on a phone. I have other avenues for that. BUT I am getting sick of all this dead *** silence from HP all the while they expect us to make a $2400 commitment with a competitor for ghost ware and something that hasnt been shown proper marketing and back up for devs to even be intrested. To even be intrested in taking the risk and the wait for it to pay off. This is stupid and I like the sound of a Evo 3d and I buy sony 3d products so you can think poin t to the I love web os chart all you want. Some of us were giving it a pass and expecting maturity and some balls behind a young OS but simply that hasnt come true. Sprint doesnt care. The public is fed up with the ghosts dancing in our heads of this phone actually doing anything and devs arent excited about putting time and money into building apps.

    Hell HP cant even hype the thing. Isnt that what companys do is Hype the products. All we see from HP is silence and nOthing positive. Just " we will " . BS your all ghosts and fakes!
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    You also have no real reason to believe that it isn't going to get traction in the next 2 years... everything projected is based on it not being released yet... but, still, this falls within the scheduled time HP gave. JR confirmed that the "Summer" was the release time period, and refused to give even a more specific estimated date, when interviewed about this, by Josh T.

    My point is, the pessimism is unwarranted, despite the disappointment that we ALL feel it hasnt been released yet, while so many other devices on other platforms are appearing, ad nasuem.
    Please see my post above about the technicalities of HP saying "summer" for the release.

    And, if WebOS hasn't really gotten much traction in the market after 2+ years and 5 devices, why should I have confidence that it will gain traction over the next 2 years? Just b/c "it has to"? (Keep in mind that iOS and Android have been full steam ahead over the same period of time that WebOS has been flailing)
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Please see my post above about the technicalities of HP saying "summer" for the release.

    And, if WebOS hasn't really gotten much traction in the market after 2+ years and 5 devices, why should I have confidence that it will gain traction over the next 2 years? Just b/c "it has to"? (Keep in mind that iOS and Android have been full steam ahead over the same period of time that WebOS has been flailing)
    I've come to a very similar conclusion.I always thought webos had a chance thanks to it's ease of use and mulitasking, but with iOS5 and Android ICS coming out very soon with multitasking and much better "ease of use", webos has lost it's advantage.

    Android ICS will also have native support for dual core processors, so the hardware will be taken advantage of on a base os level instead of on an app by app basis.

    So iOS and Android will soon have true multitasking, easier to use, superior hardware and tons of apps.... that gives me a not good feeling about the future of Webos particularly on smartphones.

    Now add in the flip-flop hp comments of "we didn't buy webos to be in the smartphone game" and the many contradictory statements about building their own hardware or licensing it out, doesn't inspire confidence that hp has a plan and will stick to it. So why should I be stuck with a phone for 2 years and not know that hp is committed to supporting it for even a year? How do I know that hp won't pull out in six months after the pre3 and royally screw me?

    I'm not being pessimistic, but being a realist that isn't seeing webos through rose colored glasses anymore. I officially will sit out the pre3 and possibly the next hardware cycle to see if hp can pull it together.
  18. #38  
    Realistically, every operating system out there is pretty good. The difference is in what services and applications they support.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Realistically, every operating system out there is pretty good. The difference is in what services and applications they support.
    This is true. It terms of ease of use, I would rate WebOS #1, followed by iOS and then Android. I just find Android cumbersome and clunky. No doubt, WebOS is the most intuitive. However, all that is negated by the comparative lack of services and applications.

    The post above makes another good point: The one major advantage WebOS had was its true multi-tasking, but the other platforms are rapidly closing the gap.
  20. #40  
    <<thread cleansed>>

    Folks... any more posts of the doom and gloom "webOS is dead" can be made elsewhere. There is a difference between posts calling out HP to get hardware released, and posts just to be angry. If you don't think webOS is for you - that's fine. But this site is dedicated to webOS enthusiasts.

    If you have questions about this, read our Letter to All Members before posting.

    Thanks.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions