Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
  1.    #1  
    This isn't the first time that we've been kept waiting for a Pre:

Pre: Announced Jan 8th 2009; released June 6th 2009 - 5 months (149 days)
    Pre 2: Announced Oct 19th 2010; released Feb 17th 2011 - 4 months (121 days)
    Pre 3: Announced Feb 9th 2011; still unreleased - 6 months (181 days and counting)

It's just crazy to think that 1. We've been so patient, and 2. That Palm (and HP) think that these things have a chance after being delayed for so long. There was so much excitement for the Pre and that fizzled because there was a 5 month gap in-between announcement and release. When will they learn? In this day and age with the next greatest phone ever other month a 2 month delay is detrimental; anything over that is practically impossible to sell.

Let's look at Apple's track record:

iPhone: Announced Jan 9th 2007; released June 29th 2009 - 6 months (171 days) (this one is understandable as it completely changed the smartphone game).
    iPhone 3G: Announced Jun 9th 2008; released July 11th 2008 - 1 month (32 days)
    iPhone 3GS: Announced Jun 8th 2009; released Jun 29th 2009 - 3 weeks (21 days)
    iPhone 4: Announced Jun 7th 2010; release Jun 24th 2009 - 2 weeks (17 days)

Clearly, Apple figured out the announce and release methodology and it's working (obviously). Palm = Epic failure and not learning from mistakes. They only one they released in a reasonable timeframe was the Pre Plus; but that doesn't count in my mind.

I give up....
    dang, you've either really done your HomeWork or you're completely obsessed. Either way, thanks for sharing. I'll give it till Fall, no later then the beginning of Winter. I've already waited so long and cancelled my cell plan. So i'm content with waiting now. But my money's on around Sept in the third week...
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    The Feb. 9th announcement was HP's first WebOS announcement, as such it was meant to show off the future devices and attract developers and garner support. The Veer and TouchPad were both announced later only weeks before shipping. Expect the same with the Pre 3. In the future, I wouldn't expect the same wait between newer devices being announced and sold.
    Two comments,

1) a large percentage of us haven’t “waited.” We’ve moved on to satisfy our immediate uses and are here primarily to keep in touch with the happenings should things change in the future and WebOS devices become compelling for the next buying cycle a year or more down the line.

2) Why does everybody keep referencing Palm in conjunction with HP? Palm’s gone. It isn’t coming back. Just call it HP as that is what it is.

-Suntan
    PatBateman likes this.
    Interesting that the time between announcement and release has decreased for each subsequent version of the iPhone. We are all disappointed b/c we thought HP would bring in some sense of order as Leo was absolutely adamant about not announcing products that weren't ready to ship. This whole Pre 3 thing has been a debacle. Yeah, yeah, yeah, we all know it's still summer so HP is well within their window of releasing the Pre 3. But a large number of the people who were initially interested in February have tired of waiting and moved on. I originally considered myself a lock for the Pre 3 when my upgrade is due in December, but no matter what the phone is like, I have a lot of question marks about the way things are running at HP. The TP launch was very disappointing. That was a chance for them to really grab a lot of attention with WebOS, but instead almost within minutes of its releases they were forced to announce major bug fixes and upgrades to be released by OTA "very soon". This was a flagship device and it released with a fizzle. And, as much as I love patching up my phone, it does get old to be constantly reading of relatively minor issues that people are having to patch for. Patching is great, but it shoudn't be as necessary as it is. Overall, it just doesn't seem like HP knows what they are doing. They are going to take a beautiful thing like WebOS and destroy it. Palm crippled WebOS with shoddy hardware and HP slowly but surely squeezing the remaining life out of it.
    How long between Apple 4 and Apple 5? Doesn't it seem like more than a year?
    Obviously the disaster in Japan that has killed tens of thousands of people and destroyed hundreds of thousands of peoples homes/lives and has also impacted Japan's technology industry that supplies many of the components for smartphones has delayed the launch of new tech devices. And of course it's all HP fault and the real tragedy in all of this is that people are upset and put out because they have to wait a few months to get their new tech device.
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Obviously the disaster in Japan that has killed tens of thousands of people and destroyed hundreds of thousands of peoples homes/lives and has also impacted Japan's technology industry that supplies many of the components for smartphones has delayed the launch of new tech devices. And of course it's all HP fault and the real tragedy in all of this is that people are upset and put out because they have to wait a few months to get their new tech device.
    HP could have made a statement that the disaster in Japan caused a delay and no one would blame them. We can blame them NOW, because they have not been talking to us or saying what is going on. There have also been conflicting statements from different HP people, which we can also fault them for.
    Enough of the discussion of the iPhone, please. We are here to talk about the Pre 3. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    HP could have made a statement that the disaster in Japan caused a delay and no one would blame them.
    And you are quite sure that if they had done that (has any other company whose deadlines were affected?) we wouldn't be holding it against them?
    I can see it now. "Way to go HP, blame tens of thousands of dead Japanese people for your failures. Sickening."
    VCI_Cell likes this.
    Well HP I guess did not learn from the road maps Palm had at one point and time. They are still on the same road.

HP should take what Apple did with iPhone and learn from it. People like to hear about products that are coming! Then having them right away. Not waiting for 6+ months for it to be released. This is one of the single reasons why the iPhone is successful and the Pre line up has not been. Release dates that look promising. Yes it sounds silly but its the truth and a fact. If you cant get your product out there then its not worth bringing up. Not "in the coming months" when its more like the "in the coming years".

So if you hate waiting then I would tell you its most likely in your best interest to leave now. HP buying Palm didn't fix this issue. HP doesn't seem to be making and progress in changing this either. So be ready to wait for the best big device! Only for it to be outdated like the Pre 3. Like I said people like top of the line flagship phones. Not just the middle ground phone. Thats what sales.

HP needs to take and learn from the iPhone sadly.

HP has the scale but has no idea on how to use it......
    Last edited by cgardner; 08/09/2011 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Spelling errors!
    SGIII SOON! (ATT)

Palm Pre- > HTC EVO 3D > HTC One X > Samsung GSIII

If any of my posts help you please thank me!!
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I doubt this is the root cause behind the prolonged wait for the Pre 3 launch.
    rashad1 and koolkid09 like this.
    Well, the obvious question now seems to be, “Why are all those disaffected Japanese targeting just HP products to hold up for months at a time when a quick look at store shelves shows a lot of phones, tablets and PCs that weren’t even announced prior to the Tsunami out for sale already?…”

Seriously. The drama that gets thrown around defending the release of a product.

-Suntan
    rashad1 likes this.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
    The Feb. 9th announcement was HP's first WebOS announcement, as such it was meant to show off the future devices and attract developers and garner support. The Veer and TouchPad were both announced later only weeks before shipping. Expect the same with the Pre 3. In the future, I wouldn't expect the same wait between newer devices being announced and sold.
    I don't agree with that at all. Why would developers support and invest time and money in a platform that has not proven itself yet? WebOS has been around for years already, and the Pre, Pre Plus, and Pre 2 were all huge flops in their own right (P+ and P2 more so than the original Pre). We all know the reasons why each was a flop, but part of the reason was all about timing (even Rubi admitted this one). By the time the exclusivity deal with Sprint was over, the launch of the P+ on VZW was completely overshadowed by the Moto Droid. If they had gotten the original Pre to market faster, then the P+ could have come out faster and potentially have gone head to head with Droid, or even better, gotten a head start. People were clamoring for a great smartphone with a capable browser, emailing, messaging, etc. on Verizon, and flocked to the first thing that was released; the Droid. Let's face it; releasing a phone on Sprint and trying to make that a trend setter was just not a smart move. Perhaps the even dumber move was waiting 5 months after showcasing it to release it. Even with a Sprint only launch, the device was getting a ton of press for a few months after CES 2009. Then the press faded as the timeline for release kept getting pushed back. Same thing is happening again. And don't give me talk about the "official press release". The devices were announced on Feb 9th, all three of them; and one took 3 months, the other took 6 months, and the other took 5 months, and the last is still not released.

And that's why HPs Feb 9th conference is them not learning from their past mistakes (their meaning the Palm group and the Palm group within HP). How were the Touchpad and The market loses interest fast. They've already lost most and the few loyal ones who stick around are getting screwed left and right (think Touchpad early adopters).
    I'm not going to "blame" anyone. What difference does it make? NONE. HP will release devices based on their own schedule and they will run their business (poorly, by many accounts...and rightly so on several of those) the way they want and I don't think anything said on this forum will affect the outcome.

I'm losing confidence in the platform as a whole with every day that goes by and it's a sad feeling. It's as gut-wrenching to see what's happening to webOS now as it was exhilerating waiting for the Pre- to launch over two years ago. What was once so promising is getting closer to it's death bed with every day that passes. I need a drink!
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    There is one thing all those products (including the, Pixi, Veer, & TP) have also had - a lack of polish.

I would accept a long wait for Apple-esque polish. We deserve it, but also for the platforms sake - we need it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    HP could have made a statement that the disaster in Japan caused a delay and no one would blame them. We can blame them NOW, because they have not been talking to us or saying what is going on. There have also been conflicting statements from different HP people, which we can also fault them for.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    And you are quite sure that if they had done that (has any other company whose deadlines were affected?) we wouldn't be holding it against them?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Haha, wow, are we really blaming the tsunami?
    Here we go, Targon. HP is doing well in just keeping their mouth shut, especially while the product is still within the deadline.

If you tell your friend you'll be at his place by 8, you don't call him at 6, 6:30, 7, and 7:30 to say "yeah dude I had a problem with my car but I'll still make it by 8!" And, crucially, the friend probably won't tell you "well I don't care whether you said 8, I expected you at 6, or at 7 at the very latest!"
    An enemy might.

Quote Originally Posted by jcohengd View Post
    I don't agree with that at all. Why would developers support and invest time and money in a platform that has not proven itself yet? WebOS has been around for years already, and the Pre, Pre Plus, and Pre 2 were all huge flops in their own right (P+ and P2 more so than the original Pre). We all know the reasons why each was a flop, but part of the reason was all about timing (even Rubi admitted this one). By the time the exclusivity deal with Sprint was over, the launch of the P+ on VZW was completely overshadowed by the Moto Droid. If they had gotten the original Pre to market faster, then the P+ could have come out faster and potentially have gone head to head with Droid, or even better, gotten a head start. People were clamoring for a great smartphone with a capable browser, emailing, messaging, etc. on Verizon, and flocked to the first thing that was released; the Droid. Let's face it; releasing a phone on Sprint and trying to make that a trend setter was just not a smart move. Perhaps the even dumber move was waiting 5 months after showcasing it to release it. Even with a Sprint only launch, the device was getting a ton of press for a few months after CES 2009. Then the press faded as the timeline for release kept getting pushed back. Same thing is happening again. And don't give me talk about the "official press release". The devices were announced on Feb 9th, all three of them; and one took 3 months, the other took 6 months, and the other took 5 months, and the last is still not released.

And that's why HPs Feb 9th conference is them not learning from their past mistakes (their meaning the Palm group and the Palm group within HP). How were the Touchpad and The market loses interest fast. They've already lost most and the few loyal ones who stick around are getting screwed left and right (think Touchpad early adopters).
    Wow, I wonder why you registered an account here Probably to get support for your many webOS devices and talk to other fans of the platform LOL

So you're saying HP should've left people in the dark about their plans to keep doing webOS, at a time when many people were saying that HP only bought Palm for the patents and was going to use Android in the future?
    Maybe they should've said "we'll have something we can show you in the next couple of months" instead of saying "we'll show you this now but you can only have it in the next couple of months"?

Ah, this'll be moot soon anyway when the Pre3 is released and we hear of the slab phone in November. Then you're probably gonna be all "eww it only looks like an ugly iPhone, Y U NO INNOVATE HP you could've taken more time and made this a better product!"
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Here we go, Targon. HP is doing well in just keeping their mouth shut, especially while the product is still within the deadline.

If you tell your friend you'll be at his place by 8, you don't call him at 6, 6:30, 7, and 7:30 to say "yeah dude I had a problem with my car but I'll still make it by 8!" And, crucially, the friend probably won't tell you "well I don't care whether you said 8, I expected you at 6, or at 7 at the very latest!"
    An enemy might.

Wow, I wonder why you registered an account here Probably to get support for your many webOS devices and talk to other fans of the platform LOL

So you're saying HP should've left people in the dark about their plans to keep doing webOS, at a time when many people were saying that HP only bought Palm for the patents and was going to use Android in the future?
    Maybe they should've said "we'll have something we can show you in the next couple of months" instead of saying "we'll show you this now but you can only have it in the next couple of months"?

Ah, this'll be moot soon anyway when the Pre3 is released and we hear of the slab phone in November. Then you're probably gonna be all "eww it only looks like an ugly iPhone, Y U NO INNOVATE HP you could've taken more time and made this a better product!"
    This is more like saying, "I will see you between 8 and 9", and at 8:45 you are waiting and waiting, and waiting. The Sprint users have had their original Pre devices since June of 2009, and many are really in need of an upgrade. How about when your cable service is out and you get the dreaded window between 8am and 5pm, and you can't do ANYTHING, no TV, no broadband connection. 3G service where you live is a fast 64kbps download because of overloaded cell phone towers. You can't go out, you are STUCK. Now, are you happy at 3pm after waiting all day, not knowing when the tech will be there to fix things? How do you feel at 4pm, with one hour left, not knowing what's going on and calling the company only gets you a confirmation that the tech will be there within the window?

If you knew that it would be between 3pm and 5pm in that last example, you wouldn't have been so annoyed at noon when you were stuck waiting at home, wanting to go out to get lunch, would you? Being stuck waiting with no information about what is going on is the problem, and HP isn't even trying to generate fresh hype to build the excitement back up for the Pre 3 launch.
    Agreed. There are more important things in "real life" rather than wait in agony for the release date of a mechanical device.
    -Peace
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    We are still in Summer 2011, So they do not care. They are on their schedule , we as consumers need to check our schedule for a new phone, yup its more than 2 years on the Pre -
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast