Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    But back to the discussion of the Pre 3....
    zackawee27 likes this.
  2.    #22  
    Does anybody really know that the HP Pre3 isnt coming to Sprint and when its a "random tipster" its mostly wrong because everytime i talk to Sprint they always say "Look for Pre3 very soon in our lineup."
    Artichoke likes this.
    Pre 3 uses the Qualcomm chipset that supports CDMA. So, the CDMA hardware is there, whether the phone is on Verizon or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by zacky59 View Post
    Does anybody really know that the HP Pre3 isnt coming to Sprint and when its a "random tipster" its mostly wrong because everytime i talk to Sprint they always say "Look for Pre3 very soon in our lineup."
    I got a similar response from my Sprint shop, though it came from the same guy who encouraged me to get the Pre years ago
    should Sprint not carry the Pre 3, I will change carriers
    I'm a Sprint guy (and Verizon for now...) and I've resigned myself to the fact that Sprint will not get this phone until January. I have a launchday Pre- and a very good relationship with the owner of multiple Sprint locations in my area and he told me Sprint will be getting it....in January. What's more is he told me that Verizon has an exclusive on it when it launches. Maybe that's a CDMA exclusive...I don't know. But my money's on Verizon getting this before Sprint, but not neccessarily before AT&T. After the past month of 2.1 on my Pre- and seeing no support from dev's I'm really starting to question whether or not I even want this phone. The Droid Bionic, Moto Photon and the Samsung Galaxy S2 (and, okay...IP 5) are starting to look better all the time. I'm not near as inclined to wait as I was 6 months ago...
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

zackawee27 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by webosfreak View Post
    Pre 3 uses the Qualcomm chipset that supports CDMA. So, the CDMA hardware is there, whether the phone is on Verizon or not.
    There are 3 versions. Two are HSPA and one is CDMA.
    The usual word here on PreCentral is that webOS devices are too weak, too slow and too small, with too little features to be desired by any carriers.

Why are there people believing that Verizon doesn't want the Pre3 when they want the Motorola Citrus? Or the LG Vortex?

Is it because Verizon is thinking that HP doesn't have much experience in telephones? Is that why they're carring the Casio G'Zone?

Or do you guys think Verizon won't want webOS because it's webOS, dammit, and since you don't like webOS nobody should?

Maybe HP is selecting their carriers more wisely after having seen how terrible Verizon's ads for webOS were and how little support Palm got from Sprint, who only expected Palm to pull them out of the quagmire they were in, with no intention of actually pushing Palm at all?
    I fully expect verizon to carry the Pre3.

I think those "roadmaps" relate more to advertising, training, etc.

and the Pre2 is still awesome, and verizon still owes us 2.1. I'm hoping they are working on 2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I fully expect verizon to carry the Pre3.

I think those "roadmaps" relate more to advertising, training, etc.

and the Pre2 is still awesome, and verizon still owes us 2.1. I'm hoping they are working on 2.2
    I really hope you're right about pre3's release on vzw.

however, software updates...doubt they are given priority...you may continue waiting on that!
    It seems like Verizon's strategy is to withhold software updates from their custumers in order to make them buy a new phone earlier than they otherwise would, and possibly to nudge customers away from phones that make them less profit per unit (fewer, slower updates) and in the direction of phones that make them more profit per unit (more, quicker updates).
    Sprint not getting the Pre3 has nothing to do with how fast or slow or how many features it lacks. Absolutely nothing. The ultimate problem is having to support x number of ecosystems. Sprint hangs it hat on Android. God knows their stupid "cats" commercial ranks as one of the most annoying of all time but they simply don't have room for another ecosystem in their lineup unless they feel its going to sell like hot cakes... and it won't. They probably feel uncomfortable selling the new Mango phones and unless they sell like crazy will not hesitate to yank these from their lineup either.

I don't feel AT&T will have a problem since its already selling a webOS tablet and a phone. The Pre3 simply strengthens that ecosystem for them. Verizon has money to burn (literally.. it does. 1.6B to be exact). They carried the Pre2 when they knew it wasn't going to sell - HP had JUST announced the Pre3 that very same day. If you could convince them to sell the Pre2 back in February you should have no problem convincing them to carry the Pre3. You can forget about Sprint though. At least for 2011. Maybe by next summer if HP can prove webOS sells and comes out with a gimmicky massive slab brick that the public actually likes purchasing (I shutter at the thought).
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Or do you guys think Verizon won't want webOS because it's webOS, dammit, and since you don't like webOS nobody should?
    Why do you keep suggesting this repeatedly in multiple posts when most of the people that have voiced negativity to the current situation have repeatedly stated that their frustration is born from the fact that they *like* WebOS so much?

Seriously, WebOS’s biggest problems have nothing to do with WebOS.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post
    Do any other examples exist of other phones that companies have made and are this far along in their development but all the carriers turn it down? I'm curious how often that happens, and if it's even possible to know it.
    LG had an enV touch pro ready to go and VZW dumped it a couple of weeks before the announced release date. And the enV line had been big sellers for VZW. I believe it wound up on one of the smaller regional carriers.
    And, once again, back to the Pre 3....
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Why do you keep suggesting this repeatedly in multiple posts when most of the people that have voiced negativity to the current situation have repeatedly stated that their frustration is born from the fact that they *like* WebOS so much?

Seriously, WebOSís biggest problems have nothing to do with WebOS.

-Suntan
    I think you missed the point of his post. He was asking rhetorical questions to bring into doubt the idea that carriers prevent the release of "substandard" phones on their network. If Verizon carries totally outdated phones, then it can't be that are preventing the Pre3 simply because it isn't the next Jesus phone. So the next question, if Verizon is to blame, is whether they just hate webOS and don't want their customers to have it either.

My money is on HP wanting to make sure the phone is mostly bug-free, swearing carriers to secrecy like Apple in the meantime.
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    I think you missed the point of his post... ...So the next question, if Verizon is to blame, is whether they just hate webOS and don't want their customers to have it either.
    No, I read his post the way he wrote it. But if he wants to clarify it, he's certainly capable.

In any case, as to your query; Do I think VZW "hates" webOS and is specifically out to doom it? No. Pretty silly that they would still be selling the Pre2 if they had that kind of childish motive.

I do think it is plausible that they might want to run through their Pre2s and then wash their hands of WebOS. Alternatively, they may be ambivalent of WebOS, and that they will offer the Pre3 when HP finally gets around to making it available. But they arenít going to go out of their way to reassure customers that it is coming like they would for say, the Bionic or any iphone.

Finally, I do not find it completely implausible that they would want to carry unremarkable android phones while passing on the Pre3.

-Suntan
  17.    #37  
    if no carrier took the CDMA version would they make some kind of unlocked cdma version for verizon and/or Sprint?
    Quote Originally Posted by zacky59 View Post
    if no carrier took the CDMA version would they make some kind of unlocked cdma version for verizon and/or Sprint?
    You can't have an unlocked CDMA. There is no SIM to put in later.

US FCC certification of CDMA is accepted in a number of Asian countries and the US process is much faster. So usually you see a device hit the FCC about 14 days before release. You don't want to tip your hand any earlier.

We should have known that HP would not release on Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T at the same time. No one has ever done even a dual US release before.

AT&T has the Veer exclusive and the TouchPad 4G exclusive. The products are designed to work together with Touch To Share. When you sell the TouchPad, you pivot to the Pre 3 as the companion sale.
    So why doesn't someone from the top just explain really what is going on ? Or maybe they'll just say "coming soon".
    Quote Originally Posted by ianhiding View Post
    So why doesn't someone from the top just explain really what is going on...
    Maybe someone just did:

Six months without the HP Pre3 [editorial]

Cut to the concluding paragraph:
    "The Pre3 was a contender back in February. Now we’re not so sure. We’re not going to go so far as to declare the Pre3 dead-on-arrival as some others have – we certainly still want one and we know many of you do as well – but unless HP pulls out some sort of pricing and marketing miracle, it’s also not going to be the rebirth of the webOS smartphone that we’ve been waiting more than two years for."
    We are the webOS fansite and we are saying, "We’re not going to go so far as to declare the Pre3 dead-on-arrival".
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/10/2011 at 11:39 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast