Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    I don't think the Pre3 wil be an actual released phone to carriers. Mostly a dev phone for the size of screen it has. I think the Pre3 is all Palm design and HP is not liking it. They went ahead and produced it to keep Webos on peoples minds. I believe they (HP) have gone in a new direction from what Palm had in mind...hence the removal of Ruby. I have talked to a friend of mine who manages a Sprint store and she said she couldn't give me hard facts but that Sprint and HP are in contact trying to finalize carrier options....but it's not the Pre3. I know the salt stuff with Sprint reps but she has been good on info she's given me in the past...not just with Webos. I knew of the 3D evo almost two months before it hit. But back to my theory of HP dumping Palm designs for there own and just using the Pre3 for eye and ear candy to buy time for new design releases.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne173 View Post
    I don't think the Pre3 wil be an actual released phone to carriers. Mostly a dev phone for the size of screen it has. I think the Pre3 is all Palm design and HP is not liking it. They went ahead and produced it to keep Webos on peoples minds. I believe they (HP) have gone in a new direction from what Palm had in mind...hence the removal of Ruby. I have talked to a friend of mine who manages a Sprint store and she said she couldn't give me hard facts but that Sprint and HP are in contact trying to finalize carrier options....but it's not the Pre3. I know the salt stuff with Sprint reps but she has been good on info she's given me in the past...not just with Webos. I knew of the 3D evo almost two months before it hit. But back to my theory of HP dumping Palm designs for there own and just using the Pre3 for eye and ear candy to buy time for new design releases.
    I doubt they would have made any sort of big announcement on Feb 9th if they didn't want it to be sold in large quantities. I just want HP to talk to us about what is going on with the Pre 3.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    I doubt they would have made any sort of big announcement on Feb 9th if they didn't want it to be sold in large quantities. I just want HP to talk to us about what is going on with the Pre 3.

Well that could be true but I bet HP was and is still getting flack from the last versions of the Pre. I see it like this.....how long will a company keep putting out the same package when the first and second versions had issues. Even though the inside of the product has been reworked, updated and top of the line but is still carried in the same package. Almost everyone will say.....ewwww I remember that product! Even though inside it's totally changed. HP is looking @ getting away from that.
    Derek_B likes this.
    I hope what they are doing is revamping the insides so it will be competitive when it comes out. HP has made leaps and bounds recently in responding to the demands of the consumer.
    I believe the Pre3 will get a delayed release (now that we know it's not o Sprint, there's really no time pressure) with a nicer screen, more ports, and maybe updated software. The current version will either be scrapped or sold at a low price point. If the Pre3 is still sold, the newer version will be named differently.

Now that I have a theory to believe in, I almost wish I hadn't seen that French video of a production model...
    Even if it is still 3 months out (and hoping it is not), I would just like to know the actual date it is to be released...
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts

I'm getting Deja Vu - isn't this the same commentary and theories we had for the Palm Pre 2?
    We've had all manner of theories put forward about why the Pre 3 is taking so long to get released (and, yes, yes, we all know that HP is still well within their "summer release" window). Everything from HP has decided to up the specs to making it 4G to killing it altogether. The most likely scenario is probably the correct one: HP is just bungling the release of this device. I don't expect some supercharged Pre 3 to be released and blow everyone away. We will get EXACTLY what was announced over 6 months ago and not one bit more. Unfortunately for the Pre 3, that won't be enough against the monster competition this fall.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    in the webOSroundup forums, they got confirmation of a supply issue. Seems the Japanese earthquake has had an effect after all =[.
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    in the webOSroundup forums, they got confirmation of a supply issue. Seems the Japanese earthquake has had an effect after all =[.
    Why not just admit this then?
    ^ They don't want their investors to get worried and pull their money out?

Regarding the OP. At this point...I'll just go ahead and believe your theory. I've stayed with this Pre- of mine all this way, I have nothing to lose lol. It falls in line with what that rumored HP 3D slab phone that we've been hearing about for Sprint.

If you think about it, it would make sense from a business stand point. I think the Pre3 is a placeholder just so that the TouchPad had a little companion at the Think Beyond event. Pre3 is for SURE a Palm design, and I also think that HP is not liking the Pre line reputation. Putting "Pre" in the name of the phone won't do them any good. If they're serious about phones then I'm sure they've got something high end cooking up.
  11. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    I actually love the Pre industrial design. A larger faster smarter version of my Pre- would perfect for me. I know I'm not alone here. That said, they need to get some other form factors out (slab) but I for one hope the Pre 3 form factor gets out the door.
    ericlid and JonVon like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vij View Post
    I actually love the Pre industrial design. A larger faster smarter version of my Pre- would perfect for me. I know I'm not alone here. That said, they need to get some other form factors out (slab) but I for one hope the Pre 3 form factor gets out the door.
    Same. I want the same vertical QWERTY slider form. A Pre3 with updated specs and brilliant screen would be perfect, but I also agree they need to release a slab here sooner than later.

Pre3+ for November release, Please!!!
    ericlid likes this.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    Why not just admit this then?
    if you go to webosroundup.com and in the pre3 forums, someone got an email from play.com. From HP's perspective to us users they are not delayed because we were promised summer not July. They have nothing to admit to us. But to distributors, that was the reason given.
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Given that you need to make changes to get mojo apps working on the Pre3 resolution, your logic fails. They would not make a SDK beta available if no phones were going to be sold.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Its days like this I am happy that I got my HTC EVO 3D.

I really do hope that HP gets their stuff together. They have had a long time to get this going now. I think its sad to leave their customer base in the dark. I for one would have stuck around IF I had a release date or even knew what was going on with HP. Even if they had to plan to get rid of the whole "Pre" lineup. I would be fine with that...IF I KNEW THAT.

So either way HP is going about this the totally wrong way IMO. I wanna see WebOS shine! Not die ><
    SGIII SOON! (ATT)

Palm Pre- > HTC EVO 3D > HTC One X > Samsung GSIII

If any of my posts help you please thank me!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cgardner View Post
    Its days like this I am happy that I got my HTC EVO 3D.

I really do hope that HP gets their stuff together. They have had a long time to get this going now. I think its sad to leave their customer base in the dark. I for one would have stuck around IF I had a release date or even knew what was going on with HP. Even if they had to plan to get rid of the whole "Pre" lineup. I would be fine with that...IF I KNEW THAT.

So either way HP is going about this the totally wrong way IMO. I wanna see WebOS shine! Not die ><
    Agreed. Iíve had my Droid3 for about a month now and its been great. At the time I said I would wait and review it against the Pre3 to see which one to go with. Glad I didnít hold out while suffering with my Pre+.

I just hope this doesnít turn HP off to the point that they convince themselves that smartphones are a poor category to play in and take WebOS strictly to other areas (.cough. printers .cough.) It would be nice to come back to WebOS and see 4 or 5 different current phones on the market *at the same time* to pick from. Instead of just getting to choose from one phone per life cycle.

-Suntan
    My theory is that they are waiting on FCC approval of the headphones. Check out the footnote on the HP Pre3 page for the accessories:

"This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained."

oh no....not another dev phone.
    no theories here..... They screwed up somewhere. There is no reason why HP would take 8months to release a device that is announced. The veer was released first, which was a gigantic mistake. The touchpad was released, and I think that went well. Now we have no word on pre 3.... They screwed up somewhere.

the OP's theory is a good one, though, because there is no leaked system stuff from Verizon. None from ATT, none from anyone.

HOWEVER,

there was a pre-order website in Europe for the pre 3, which means that its still on.
    In Japan Individual manufacturers are often claiming to be back at 100% but that is face saving. The export numbers show that there is still turmoil. I strongly suspect one small but critical component is delayed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast