Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
    I hope you're wrong. My Sprint guy told me that Verizon is getting an exclusive on the Pre 3...not AT&T. But he also said Sprint would be carrying the Pre 3 in January. So there you have it...nobody knows <<mod delete>>!
    Last edited by bevcraw; 08/10/2011 at 04:53 AM.
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    I sure hope this is wrong...
    I hope I am wrong too.

But also look at the past.

Sprint got the original exclusive on the Pre.

Verizon got the exclusive on the Pre 2.

Now AT&T is getting the exclusives on the Veer, etc.

Samsung almost broke the US carrier exclusive monopoly concept by getting all the US carriers to have their own versions of the Galaxy S last summer. The Galaxy S II's will be more similar starting this month.

Not even Samsung has the power yet to get even two US carriers to have the same phone at the same time like Apple.

HP is far from having the clout to have a two carrier launch.

Even without the PC article, on some level we always knew that this was an AT&T exclusive.

So do we take our families over to AT&T, pay the early termination fees, pay the highest rates, and accept AT&T service?
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/10/2011 at 08:15 AM.
    ugh. Won't leave VZW. Too much time invested with them over the years and best service in my area. I certainly hope AT&T is not an exclusive on this phone....
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    I hope I am wrong too.

But also look at the past.

Sprint got the original exclusive on the Pre.

Verizon got the exclusive on the Pre 2.

Now AT&T is getting the exclusives on the Veer, etc.

Samsung almost broke the US carrier exclusive monopoly concept by getting all the US carriers to have their own versions of the Galaxy S last summer. The Galaxy S II's will be more similar starting this month.

Not even Samsung has the power yet to get even two US carriers to have the same phone at the same time like Apple.

HP is far from having the clout to have a two carrier launch.

Even without the PC article, on some level we always knew that this was an AT&T exclusive.

So do we take our families over to AT&T, pay the early termination fees, pay the highest rates, and accept AT&T service?
    So the CDMA version through the FCC, tested on Verizon, was just for fun?

Then again, I always thought Sprint or Verizon wouldn't accept a "HP Pre3" when AT&T will have the "HP Pre3 4G."

Wouldn't it be awful if the 4G marketing bull was a main reason for AT&T exclusivity?

Actually, nevermind. I forgot I was trying not to care about HP products anymore so I could stomach an android device.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    threed61#WN likes this.
    Pre- was Sprint exclusive
    Pre+ was Verizon exclusive
    Pre2 is Verizon exclusive
    Veer is AT&T exclusive (hardware)
    Touchpad 3G is AT&T exclusive (hardware)

Pre3 is ...

I think Verizon. Then later AT&T can get a version and claim it is 4G and better than Verizon's, like the Pre+ over Pre-.

Unlike the Veer and Touchpad, hardware does not dictate an AT&T exclusive for the Pre3.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    Pre- was Sprint exclusive
    Pre+ was Verizon exclusive
    Pre2 is Verizon exclusive
    Veer is AT&T exclusive (hardware)
    Touchpad 3G is AT&T exclusive (hardware)

Pre3 is ...

I think Verizon. Then later AT&T can get a version and claim it is 4G and better than Verizon's, like the Pre+ over Pre-.

Unlike the Veer and Touchpad, hardware does not dictate an AT&T exclusive for the Pre3.
    If the Pre Plus was a Verizon exclusive, then the period was what, 3 months? I suspect that the Pre Plus was a non-exclusive deal that just happened to be ready on Verizon first.
    I have been doing some research on this.

I can't find any smartphone ever released on two US carriers at the same time.

The iPhone 5 will be the first smartphone released on more that one US carrier at the same time. Apple has that much clout.

There was never any way that the Pre 3 was going to be released on more than one carrier at a time.

The only way they would have taken the Veer would be to have the Pre 3 and TouchPad exclusives to go with it. The Pre 3 next to the Veer will increase sales of each. In a perfect world mom and dad get Pre 3's and the daughter in junior high gets the Veer. AT&T has the TouchPad 4G exclusive. Touch To Share amkes the Pre 3 the companion product.

We didn't need a leaked roadmap to tell us this. We should have known all along that the Pre 3 was going to be an exclusive with the same carrier as the Veer.

Oh well. Hindsight is 20/20.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/10/2011 at 10:22 PM.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    AN HP Sales Rep at my local Best Buy told me that the Pre 3 would be coming out this month. He said it would likely go to AT&T, he wasn't sure about Sprint, but did mention that he was away of all the original Pre owners on Sprint who want it.

WE just won't know until we know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fej180 View Post
    AN HP Sales Rep at my local Best Buy told me that the Pre 3 would be coming out this month. He said it would likely go to AT&T, he wasn't sure about Sprint, but did mention that he was away of all the original Pre owners on Sprint who want it.

WE just won't know until we know.
    A US or UK Best Buy?
    Quote Originally Posted by xBlackxBlood View Post
    A US or UK Best Buy?
    Oh god, please say US. I've been waiting so long!
    dont think its coming to any carriers
    Quote Originally Posted by c_legaspi View Post
    dont think its coming to any carriers
    at this point i must agree with you. i think the US pre3 has been shelved.
    If there is nothing more than idle speculation to add to this thread, then it is time to close it.
    I'm sorry but WebOS is a known Flop to US Carriers....None of them have been able to move any version of the Platform without giving them away for Free! Sprint was the only one that was able rid its inventory of Pre -'s while still selling them for a price$..

Since its known that Sprint is not willing to take a chance on the Pre again in its current form....Who's to say Verizon and AT&T aren't following Sprint's lead...These carriers aren't going to release what's suppose to be a High End device just because few die-hards on a dedicated forum screams and cries about it. Sprint Verizon and AT&T all know they must be willing to take loss on WebOS devices (hence offer then for FREE) in order to move them out the door and even at FREE! there still not going to move record amounts of supply, it's not a chance any of them are willing to take unless the other does to stay competitive, with Sprint out neither Verizon or AT&T is willing to take the plunge they don't need it.

I keep saying this the only way WebOS has a chance is if HP Licenses out to OEM that knows how to build hardware a get it out the door! ITS THE ONLY CHANCE, HP just cannot get out of its own way and its TOO FRIGGIN SLOW, this is worse than PALM itself. HP needs to move fast if RIM or WP7 locks up that 3rd slot in mass popular smartphone OS's its over for WebOS it has NO CHANCE of gain momentum.

I don't blame Sprint for passing on WebOS in its current state....HP's Formula for execution is a HOT MESS!
    I just saw this from ZDnet: webOS has enough gas left in the tank to catch the pack

I think that based on this it is not a matter of IF Verizon will get a new webOS device but WHEN.

One carrier is probably going to get an exclusive for now. That is how Palm and HP have always introduced phones. But that does not mean that at some point in the future others might not be included. Sprint got the exclusive on the Pre. Verizon got the exclusive on the Pre 2. AT&T got the exclusive on the Veer.

The TouchPad sold out at $299. When Amazon first got it at $399 it rose to second place over the weekend. Even now it is #8.

Touch To Share between the TouchPad and the Pre 3 turns every TouchPad sale into a potential Pre 3 prospect.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Touch To Share between the TouchPad and the Pre 3 turns every TouchPad sale into a potential Pre 3 prospect.
    Which is why I don't know why they don't hurry the frack up with the Veer update so the Veer can benefit from the same thing.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Tikkanen likes this.
    I did some research on the HP Veer launch for some guidance:
    5/15/11 Veer Launched
    5/2/11 Veer Launch Announced
    4/29/11 PocketNow: White HP Veer 4G Pictured for AT&T (Images)
    4/27/11 IntoMobile: Mini Coopers plastered with "HP Veer 4G" marketing
    4/18/11 BGR: HP Veer to launch with AT&T on May 2nd
    4/17/11 Engadget: HP planning Veer launch party for May 2nd, AT&T brings cake

The Pre and Pre+ had similar patterns as do most phone launches including even the iPhone 4 and iPad 2. So let's apply that here.

At least 4 weeks before a launch, we hear about:
    • Inventory codes or links are spotted on internal systems
    • Accessories codes start showing up in internal systems
    • Displays ship to some randow distributor early.
    • Mr Blurry Cam takes some pictures.

Two weeks ahead, the lauch is formally announced. Stores take pre-orders.

Once the blogs light up, we have about 4 more weeks. Leaks today could mean a Pre 3 lauch as early as September 10th.

The Verizon Roadmap starts on September 8th.
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,430 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Which is why I don't know why they don't hurry the frack up with the Veer update so the Veer can benefit from the same thing.
    That's a great selling point but they are leaving it really really late because the competition is about to erode that advantage. All the new blackberries have NFC baked in (although I see at least one US carrier plans to block it), it's a given that the android ice-cream devices will have it (some gingerbread devices already have it) and it's likely that the iphone 5 will have it. You then have the infrastructure to replicate touch-to-share functionality across device platforms and between users.

The quicker they get the pre3 to market, the longer they have that advantage - a mid September launch gives them a window of about eight weeks (if what we know about ice-cream launches and iphone launches are right), then the competition will rip off and erode that advantage.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    That's a great selling point but they are leaving it really really late because the competition is about to erode that advantage. All the new blackberries have NFC baked in (although I see at least one US carrier plans to block it), it's a given that the android ice-cream devices will have it (some gingerbread devices already have it) and it's likely that the iphone 5 will have it. You then have the infrastructure to replicate touch-to-share functionality across device platforms and between users.

The quicker they get the pre3 to market, the longer they have that advantage - a mid September launch gives them a window of about eight weeks (if what we know about ice-cream launches and iphone launches are right), then the competition will rip off and erode that advantage.
    That's actually my point. Veer already has the hardware, just get the update out now, and they can sell that feature right away. Rather than waiting till the Pre 3 then enabling it, then nobody will care by then (in your words "eroded advantage").

Allowing the Veer to have it now so it's an advantage they can actually use. But it's probably a stupid marketing ploy that the Veer must be less featured than the Pre 3.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    "anytime soon" - where IS it coming soon? Is this the first phone in history to have a 6+ month release date from it's public introduction? Is this a new marketing strategy or something???
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast