Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes
    excellent OP. Ironically, the nay-sayers skipped over it to post the very thing covered in the OP.

ironic, isn't it?
    LordSecksie likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post

The word at the beginning of 2011 was: one device every two months.
    Are you saying opal will be oct or xmas?
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Other companies *cough* don't even bother with seasons, much less exact dates, and take nine months to change a phones color. And when they finally managed to change the color, their production tolerances aren't even good enough to ensure that the black phone is as thick as the white one. Nobody minds. Nobody says that's a problem. Why? Because that company is popular. It's apparently only a problem if a company is not popular. Fair enough. But then you can't go and say HP is unpopular because of their slow release cycles. That's bull. HP's release cycle is currently as fast as or faster than any other individual tech company's.

Sure, you get new Android phones every week, but those are from dozens of different manufacturers. Some phone-only companies like HTC release phones quicker, granted, but HP isn't just a phone company (and when they said they had no intention of becoming one, the haters had a field day of acting as though that meant that HP wasn't going to do phones at all anymore). HP releases other stuff as well.

And why do we need an exact date anyway if we're months away? I can understand wanting to know in mid-august if the new device will be out in september. But acting up because HP, back in February, didn't state an exact release date but simply a 'summer' deadline is just sad. Maybe they didn't know the exact date back then and didn't want to have to delay a release, so they kept it vague? Still better than just not saying anything (which, again, is working a-ok for Apple, where nobody complains about it. Apple needs more time? We'll give em more time! HP needs as much time as they said they would need? EPIC FAIL, TOO SLOW!)
    The primary issue is that HP has taken so much time to release the Pre 3, the specs no longer are considered top end, while the price at launch will be that of a top end device. If HP had not mentioned the specs at all, then we would not be as disappointed as well, or if HP planned it so the CPU in the released product were able to be easily updated. If the CPU/GPU were on a separate board, it could be swapped after release as well, allowing for the same overall phone to be sold at different price points with the CPU/GPU being the key for what makes one faster and the other slower.

Would you mind buying a single-core 1.4GHz phone for $200 with contract if you could pay $50 in three months and upgrade it yourself to a dual-core 1.5GHz, or next year to a quad-core processor? Of course not, because you wouldn't need to replace your phone to get a speed increase. People would also be less inclined to overclock if they had the option to just upgrade a part to get better speeds.

As it stands now, if the Pre 3 is competitive on the price/performance level, then it will sell decently, but most of us suspect that the price will be higher than it should, based on what the competition is releasing. For PC processors, AMD has managed to survive not because it makes the fastest chips, but because the price of their products is appropriate for the performance you get. HP needs to learn that lesson.
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    For PC processors, AMD has managed to survive not because it makes the fastest chips, but because the price of their products is appropriate for the performance you get. HP needs to learn that lesson.
    Unrelated irony... but HP + AMD = disaster. Remember the dv2000?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Uh-huh? And it's not just *one* phone where they're also still selling last year's model although the new OS version runs terribly slow on that old phone? (something else that we're easily forgiving that company but can't forgive HP)

So, what was the iPhone's huge innovation, then? Not having 3G? Not being able to handle MMS in any way shape or form? Not being able to run any apps at all? Or the capacitive screen that they DID have, about half a year before everyone else? Huge innovation. What was the 3G's innovation? Being able to use 3G? The fact that Steve now accepted apps? The 3GS gave us a compass. That WAS great. The 4 gave us a hardware design where function followed form and which forces you to not only think but also hold different.

Or maybe we're forgiving Apple their sins and idiocies without even thinking about them and elevating their little real innovations to huge game-changing revolutions because we *like* them and they're *hip*, and maybe we're never happy with what HP does, regardless of what they're doing, because we *don't* like them and they're *square*? Could that be it?
    Could that be why when HP gives us something that's UNLIKE apple, we're all complaining about why those shortbus HP people were so stupid to make something that's different from Apple because it'll just be DOA: you gotta do what's popular! ... while when HP gives us something that's LIKE apple, we're all complaining about why those shortbus HP people were so stupid to make something that's similar to Apple because it'll just be DOA: you gotta innovate and be yourself, not just a copycat!
    Yeah, the capacitive screen and usable touch interface. Or do you think it is a coincidence that almost every single phone since then has had the same form factor and user experience? Sure they've made a few missteps and took a while one some obvious features, but you can't argue with results.

Apple went from no experience in the mobile field, to the number one US phone hardware manufacturer in 4 years. Sure the marketing helped, but don't be naive and assume that was all.

Plus, hard to sell a phone when you don't put one on the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Unrelated irony... but HP + AMD = disaster. Remember the dv2000?
    If you're relating to GFX issues then you should know that the faulty graphic chips were manufactured by NVIDIA, not AMD.
    In paragraph four, Mobile Fun wrote the wrong display size and resolution as:
    "...3.1" 320 x 480 display..."
    The correct display for the Pre3 is 3.6" 480 x 800.

Also, a September release for the Pre3 is indicated here: Search | PDAdb.net - Smartphone, Tablet, Netbook, PDA, PNA & Mobile Device Specifications Database
    Last edited by fred1955; 08/05/2011 at 08:59 AM. Reason: updated
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Based on the Celular Network information it seems that the US version is a world phone and the EU version is not. Is this correct or am I missinformed?

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia:
    Snapdragon MSM 8255T (EU): GSM (GPRS, EDGE), W-CDMA/UMTS (HSDPA, HSUPA, HSPA+), MBMS

Snapdragon MSM 8655T (US): GSM (GPRS, EDGE), W-CDMA/UMTS (HSDPA, HSUPA, HSPA+), MBMS, CDMA2000 (1xRTT, 1xEV-DO Rel.0/Rev.A/Rev.B)
    I currently live in Sweden but I am staying in Korea for a while and would like a phone that works around the globe (GSM is pretty much non existant in asia).
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    I keep posting this, but I'll just post it some more!

Think Beyond: February
    -three months-
    Veer: May (US) / June (EU)
    -two months-
    TouchPad: early July (US / EU)
    -two months-
    Pre3: late August (US / EU)?

The word at the beginning of 2011 was: one device every two months. Considering that there was a major cataclysm in a major industrialized country that has delayed ALL deadlines in the technology business, one single delay of one month (VEER) is actually pretty good. and it looks like HP is on schedule now... meanwhile Apple's delay with the iPhone 5 is getting longer every day (but of course, nobody outside the webOS camp really cares about release dates. In fact, nobody WITHIN the webOS camp really cares about them, but the running-Android-and-posting-on-a-webOS-forum-every-day-to-tell-those-people-that-I-think-my-phone-is-definitely-better-than-theirs camp is absolutely, positively of the opinion that delays from HP are a crime against humanity and should be considered as such by everyone)

So if - and that is an if - the Pre3 actually makes it by the last week of August or the first week of September, HP is actually completely on track.

Of course, that won't keep a lot of people from saying that HP's track is wrong in the first place, that HP shouldn't release anything that's not a cookie-cutter iPhone slab copy because anything that isn't is just DOA, that HP should have released a quad-core 2GHz phone in early 2011 and that THAT was what the Pre3 should have been if it was supposed to have even the slightest chance at success, and stuff like that.... but even so, you can't hold HP to a timeline they never planned. The plan was: one device every two months, and that plan is EXTREMELY competitive if HP actually keeps on following it (and I reckon they will since unlike a lot of people here who are expecting HP to drop webOS like a hot potato, and who have been expecting that for over a year, HP knows that they're in a marathon and not a sprint).

Just because people have been calling the Pre3 "delayed". It's not, and it looks like it won't ever be. It'll come just when they said it would come - how's that for a change? And if you think whenever they said it would come is just too late and that's why it's delayed, because it "should" have come out sooner, yeah, you go on living life that way. Next time you catch a bus, be sure to yell at the driver for being late, and when he points to the timetable and tells you that he's actually right on time, tell him you've been waiting at the bus stop for five minutes and that you wanted to leave right then.
    I thought the Touchpad was originally suppose to release in June but it was delayed to July. So, wouldn't that go against the two month thing? I mean even though it ended up releasing in July, they intended it to be released in June.

I could be wrong, I just remember reading articles in May that the Touchpad was going to be released June and then it got pushed back for some reason.
    nope, wasnt delayed, shipped on time
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    If you're relating to GFX issues then you should know that the faulty graphic chips were manufactured by NVIDIA, not AMD.
    Yeah I know. But I haven't met any HP machine based on an AMD processor that can't double as a George Foreman grill.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Feud, TopTongueBarry and gbp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    new date August 9 in UK? Mobile Fun announces the release date and price of the SIM Free Palm Pre 3

EDIT: Sim Free eh? would that work with AT&T just curious? (for someone desparate to get on teh Pre3 and is a world traveler (not me))

Mobile Fun announces the release date and price of the SIM Free Palm Pre 3 | Latest press releases | PressGo | Journalism.co.uk
    That looks like a load of bs to me. Specs are wrong and goes against every other expected date that we have from other retailers.
    oh yeah, got 359.99 pounds and need a sim free phone? Someone in the UK try this out? remember 9/8 in the uk is 8/9 is the us

Sim Free Palm Pre 3

lets hope!
    Last edited by cyberprashant; 08/07/2011 at 03:16 PM.
  14. rs1
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LevSer View Post
    I currently live in Sweden but I am staying in Korea for a while and would like a phone that works around the globe (GSM is pretty much non existant in asia).
    Actually, GSM is *the* standard in Asia. South Korea and Japan used to use CDMA2000 but that was ages ago. Any modern 3G-enabled phone *will* work throughout Asia.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    oh yeah, got 359.99 pounds and need a sim free phone? Someone in the UK try this out? remember 9/8 in the uk is 8/9 is the us

Sim Free Palm Pre 3

lets hope!
    They have changed to 1/9
    I was about to order but wanted a better spec so I have sent an email, play.com says that they will deliver an 16Gb Palm Pre 3 so I now think I will order from them.
    Quote Originally Posted by eallan View Post
    Yeah, the capacitive screen and usable touch interface. Or do you think it is a coincidence that almost every single phone since then has had the same form factor and user experience? Sure they've made a few missteps and took a while one some obvious features, but you can't argue with results.

Apple went from no experience in the mobile field, to the number one US phone hardware manufacturer in 4 years. Sure the marketing helped, but don't be naive and assume that was all.

Plus, hard to sell a phone when you don't put one on the market.
    In all fairness, Apple is currently leveraging operational efficiencies gained from being in the mobile phone industry the past 4 years, using a repurposed iPod as its springboard into the mobile industry.

Even though HP is trying to fast-track its entry into the market w/its acquisition of Palm, it's not realistic to expect a company w/no experience in the mobile field to match Apple's levels of operational efficiency & operational synergy it currently enjoys.

I think HP is doing a good job of closing the gap so far, but time is not their friend...
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neruda6000 View Post
    In all fairness, Apple is currently leveraging operational efficiencies gained from being in the mobile phone industry the past 4 years, using a repurposed iPod as its springboard into the mobile industry.

Even though HP is trying to fast-track its entry into the market w/its acquisition of Palm, it's not realistic to expect a company w/no experience in the mobile field to match Apple's levels of operational efficiency & operational synergy it currently enjoys.

I think HP is doing a good job of closing the gap so far, but time is not their friend...
    Thats a bit of excuse making though. Apple made their first mobile phone in 2007.

Nokia, Palm, LG, etc. have been making devices for far longer.

You have got to start somewhere. Apple didn't start in 2007 with a huge cell phone business already established. HP is no stranger to IC and microchips.
    I seem to remember a 6 month launch window for the Pre 3...and by my count 02 + 6 =08
    ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post
    So HP is Gandalf then?

"A wizard is never late... Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." --Gandalf in Fellowship of the Ring
    Sounds like when the soul of the Tardis in Doctor Who entered a woman's body and talked with the Doctor. He complained that she never took him where he wanted to go, she responded that she always took him where he needed to go.

So now HP is doing likewise? Yet it seems very apple-ish... that they know better what we want and when we will want/need it?

Just want my Vzn Pre 3 (and a spec-bumped Opal)??
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast