Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Here is a brief quote from the article. Keep in mind, I'm posting it, I didn't write it. See link.

Take care,

Jay

Is the HP Pre 3 DOA?
    Posted by Adam Mills | August 3, 2011

Is the HP Pre 3 DOA?
    |
    (Article author Adam Mills said), "So I am thinking that one of these four things is going to happen:

HP is going to launch this alongside the HP TouchPad model thatís headed for AT&T.
    AT&T and Verizon will carry it but sell it at an extremely discounted price, say $100. Not even sure itís worth releasing at that point.
    HP will release an unlocked model of the device.
    They wonít release it at all instead opting to announce something at next yearís CES".
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    only time will tell
  3.    #3  
    Hi all,

True but I've got my fingers crossed.

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    3putt likes this.
    Better yet... Keep announcing but not releasing. Wouldn't that be something!
    Sorry to say it, but he's right. I don't think the P3 will be a bad phone, but it will not light the imagination in a way that will allow it to breakthrough into the mass market.

It could do well... if they have it discounted (or bundled in a killer deal with a TouchPad) AND could possibly build an intriguing enough ecosystem to make it interesting. Not by trying to 'beat' the competition in app counts, but making the "phone to tablet to desktop to web" vision a seamless working reality, AND advertising the heck out of it.

That said, I'd rather they go the route mentioned above rather than play 'spec wars' with the competition.

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    What was all that stuff about Think this and that and beyond or something like that? I guess they really have us with the Think Beyond tag. Since we always seem to have little now in hand we have to think beyond.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I read the iPhone 5 will have a gesture area, singe button and inductive charging. It sounds like the OG Pre lives on, at least.
    This article is exactly how i feel. It is too late for the Pre3 as it was announced back in Feb.

Either come out with a new version of the Pre3 (add a + to it if you really want) with spec bumps across the board, or just scrap it, along with the Pre name, and have a kick *** device ready to ship at CES.

HP needs to do something bold to get back in the game. Maybe offer an amazing phone and sell it for close to cost. They need to make a big splash if they hope to stay in the Mobile market.
    Oy.

First, the answer to the question is "No". There are more than a few million people who will buy the Pre 3.. even if most of them are current WebOS fans, past or present. That's far from "DOA".

Next, authors like this do this for the sensationalism, and dont really care about being right or wrong - what would be REALLY funny is if the Pre3 became a surprise smash hit, and guys like this get finally called on their speculative prognostications for being just that.

FWIW, when HP execs said that this is a "marathon, not a sprint", they were explaining how they are looking at this whole mobile market - they may not make the hottest and most "top-spec" devices out there initially, but, they will make solid, dependable ones that people will buy and rely on, and at some point, all that momentum will turn into an industry wide recognition for quality and substance... and that will give them the success they are striving for, financially.

You dont just jump into this industry.. you develop along with it, and mature inside of it.

IMO, of course.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    i think it will do fine, but they really need to release another phone by the end of the year. I was actually hoping they would release pre3 in june/july and the new phone in sept. but with this delay im crossing my fingers we get something new either oct or nov. if they can do that and the phone has all the goodies webos will have a long life.

if not then with rimm coming out with their new operating system next year which is almost identical to webos, HP will have a long long road ahead =\
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Oy.

First, the answer to the question is "No". There are more than a few million people who will buy the Pre 3.. even if most of them are current WebOS fans, past or present. That's far from "DOA".

Next, authors like this do this for the sensationalism, and dont really care about being right or wrong...

FWIW, when HP execs said that this is a "marathon, not a sprint", they were explaining how they are looking at this whole mobile market - they may not make the hottest and most "top-spec" devices out there initially, but, they will make solid, dependable ones that people will buy and rely on...
    On #1 - Wish I could stand with you on this one but a few million purchases spread out over two years will not build the momentum needed to attract developers or even people like battery, case, or screen cover manufacturers. Especially when the competition adds that many users in 1 or 2 months. It means you are able to win people over to what you have to offer.

On # 2- I do agree, most of the so called reporters are pretty much lazy hacks. (And I know a few of them, so I know it's true), junkies who are addicted to click counts and how many comments their stories generate.

On #3 - Mostly true, but you gotta start running. In January, It will be three years since the original Pre was announced (it's not all on HP, but when you buy the business you inherit the liabilities as well).
    The TP is a good first step, but everyone else is continuing to innovate too. If they build a great user experience in terms of function and not just style (which they are OK with right now) they can be successful.

C
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    On #1 - Wish I could stand with you on this one but a few million purchases spread out over two years will not build the momentum needed to attract developers or even people like battery, case, or screen cover manufacturers.
    C
    Well, if you "wish you could agree with" me, then you should, because, its pragmatic thinking: If it takes a year or two to get 2 - 3 million Pre 3 users, that's a bad thing? That's just one of many other devices they will have launghed during that time... if they can do that or more for 5 smartphones over 2 years, thats almost 20 million users.. and growing. I'd say that's not bad, at all, but, I am sure that they'd see this as quite a good return on their investment, alone (at $100/phone profit, thats $2b profit).

On # 2- I do agree, most of the so called reporters are pretty much lazy hacks. (And I know a few of them, so I know it's true), junkies who are addicted to click counts and how many comments their stories generate.
    C
    Its the "force du jour" of the internet bloggers today, sadly, enough.

On #3 - Mostly true, but you gotta start running. In January, It will be three years since the original Pre was announced (it's not all on HP, but when you buy the business you inherit the liabilities as well). The TP is a good first step, but everyone else is continuing to innovate too. If they build a great user experience in terms of function and not just style (which they are OK with right now) they can be successful.
    C
    I think HP has been in business in more than enough sectors since their inception to know how to mature into a new market that they have targetted for taking a part of. They have the largest R&D facility in the world, and are the largest tech company in the world. If they are ready to "run", trust me, we'll all see it, and it won't be difficult to identify. They arent ready yet, though... so, slow, careful steps are their stated policy, despite our (the WebOS faithful) wishes to the contrary.

I predict that many who abandon WebOS today due to impatience, or just the draw of a new piece of hardware that has better specs than thier current device, or a pending-release HP device, will eventually be back, if HP sticks to their plan as they have explained many a time.

Of course, they could completely blow it, too.

But, Im betting to the contrary.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

This is foolish. There is no question they will release the Pre3, if for no other reason than the many Pre owners who will buy it. We aren't waiting for the next spec war victor, we're waiting for the next webOS phone. We will all buy it.

But I think there is another big opportunity for HP to sell this phone bundled with Touchpads to the corporate market. Corporate buyers don't care about specs the way tech nerds do. They care about how something ties in to their existing systems. WebOS might sell well to this crowd.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I have to agree with the article too. The Veer nor the Touchpad has really made any waves so I can't imagine a smartphone with "outdated" specs is going to do really well. They had the hype behind them in February but it will be well over six months since the announcement. Unfortunately for HP, the carriers that will sell the phone will also be stocking the latest dual core Android phones, iPhone 5 and a discounted iPhone 4. I don't see very many sales people steering customers to the Pre3.
    I wish I knew what the holdup was for the Pre 3. I don't know how successful the Pre 3 will be, but it's not looking good. I agree with many points from the article. With all the new phones expected to flood the market, and the highly anticipated new iPhone, can we honestly expect any of the carriers to put any weight behind the Pre 3?

I really wish HP would have scrapped the Veer; I don't know how well it has sold, but I have yet to see one in the wild. If HP would have only focused on the Pre 3 & TouchPad, then released them around the same time, this would have been the summer of webOS. There weren't too many exciting tablets or smartphones released this summer, and HP could have owned it if they had the Pre 3 alongside the TouchPad.

I guess we'll have to wait & see how it plays out.
    @LC Guy,

If they can put out 5 solid smartphones in the next year or two, I'd be thrilled. So far there are two (if I include the Pre 3 & Veer) and one rumored - the 4" slab. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big supporter of the platform and I want to see success for webOS. But the question of the original post revolved around the Pre3, and if or not THAT PHONE (the P3) is DOA.

If we (the webOS faithful) are already "thinking beyond" the Pre 3 (to steal a phrase) anticipating what else is necessary to flesh out the lineup, it's not a good thing. Unfortunately, you need a statement phone to draw interest and I don't think the P3, while it may be solid, will be that phone. As a supporting phone in a family of products, great, but as the flagship device, I'm not so confident.

Would love to see them produce phones like a vintage of wine, especially if they plan to duplicate the rapid release cycle of the competition. I don't think that is a smart move, personally, but if you must...

Make a limited run, make it available for no more than 13 months and then release a replacement. Or release the lineup of phones (notice the plural) and upgrade one of them every quarter. So any particular type of phone (Portrait, Candybar, Slab, Virtual Keyboard, etc) is updated just once a year, but they get buzz of a new release 4 or 5 times a year. Build momentum and keeps people interested.

@ HenryAlan - it's not a question of releasing the phone. The issue is will the phone generate enough sales to support the application and add-on market it will need to compete. For example, will there be extended battery options available for the Pre3 at a reasonable cost?

C
    SmartFah likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
    This is foolish. There is no question they will release the Pre3, if for no other reason than the many Pre owners who will buy it. We aren't waiting for the next spec war victor, we're waiting for the next webOS phone. We will all buy it.

But I think there is another big opportunity for HP to sell this phone bundled with Touchpads to the corporate market. Corporate buyers don't care about specs the way tech nerds do. They care about how something ties in to their existing systems. WebOS might sell well to this crowd.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Since neither device has many of the features business users want, bundling isn't going to help much. What's also sad is how few people even care anymore.
    ... Unfortunately, you need a statement phone to draw interest and I don't think the P3, while it may be solid, will be that phone. As a supporting phone in a family of products, great, but as the flagship device, I'm not so confident...
    I agree with you, especially this point here. It's just like the Pre 2, which was also a very solid phone, but unfortunately wasn't a heavy hitting flagship phone. I have the Pre 2, and it's a shame how underrated it is. Unfortunately, the Pre 3 may be doomed to the same fate.

Hopefully HP puts together a nice TouchPad & Pre 3 bundle. That will probably help sell a lot of units.
    Too early to tell if it'll be DOA, but its chances of success decrease each and every day. Facts are facts and anticipation over the iPhone 5 is going crazy. Even the most conservative of estimates have Apple selling an absurd number of the iPhone 5 (even enough to double their market share). So many people already have their mind made up to get the iPhone 5 and once its released, it's gonna be all iPhone all the time.
    Sorry to say it, but he's right. I don't think the P3 will be a bad phone, but it will not light the imagination in a way that will allow it to breakthrough into the mass market.

It could do well... if they have it discounted (or bundled in a killer deal with a TouchPad) AND could possibly build an intriguing enough ecosystem to make it interesting. Not by trying to 'beat' the competition in app counts, but making the "phone to tablet to desktop to web" vision a seamless working reality, AND advertising the heck out of it.

That said, I'd rather they go the route mentioned above rather than play 'spec wars' with the competition.

C
    If they bundled it with a Touchpad I would be all over it. Too bad that will never happen.
    VZW Pre Plus 2.1.0 w/SR71 running at 1.2 Ghz; VZW Pix Plus Stock.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast