Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree29Likes
    i believe people keep on saying it in hopes that hp actually listens and comes out with a slab.

like you said... of course a slider isnt gonna beat a slab. we all know it. they want to spread webos to as many as possible then why doesnt hp know it?

just boggles the mind still why the veer?
    and why it gets released before the pre3... the flagship!

why not a slab instead of a niche cute little phone?
    it's been out for months... how many millions of units did they sell? was it worth it?

oh well. will be interesting to see the pre3 and play with it. my contract with my 3gs is up actually... just like my 2g was up when the pre was coming out. we'll see what news will be announced in the coming months.

Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    I really don't get why people keep saying a slider phone isn't going to beat a market leading slab phone. Of course it isn't !
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I believe the main reason for Pre 2’s failure is releasing on Verizon. They had hungry pre - users waiting for upgrade on Sprint. They never got one . Only few diehards did Franken pre. Releasing Pre3 on Sprint will make it a moderate success. If they want it to sell, they should release on all three carriers, or its DOA
    I remember when HP bought Palm, how I was arguing with guys labeled as trolls about HP scale and push. I was so positive, thinking how HP is best option for Palm, and they, trolls, are saying how HP is clueless about mobile industry and modern smartphones. Now I agree with them 100% and I'm often labeled as troll.
    Fact that WebOS in 2011 lacks many stuff it was lacking in 2009, and that WebOS smartphones haven't moved much from original Pre design, is best sign that Pre3 would be DOA even if had been released in February so it's no big deal it was not out yet. WebOS devices have to be sold in tens of millions to be financially justified, not in million or two pieces scattered around globe.
    HP is simply killing WebOS with their approach.

Licensing WebOS to other manufacturers without any limitations is maybe only way to keep WebOS on smartphones alive. Maybe now when Google bought Motorola mobility, and Microsoft pointed Nokia as prime WP7 partner is a good time for HP to give WebOS to Samsung and HTC and bail out from smartphone business before totally killing WebOS.
    Last edited by chalx; 08/15/2011 at 08:41 AM.
    eallan and Keen like this.
    i doubt any manufacturers would take up webos because the current track record isn't worth developing a new phone with an os they have to train programers to use
    Quote Originally Posted by drewcam888 View Post
    i doubt any manufacturers would take up webos because the current track record isn't worth developing a new phone with an os they have to train programers to use
    Did samsung said they want it? I would love that.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post

Licensing WebOS to other manufacturers without any limitations is maybe only way to keep WebOS on smartphones alive.
    +1
    Yup. HP releasing a phone per year will kill the platform. Time to move the Pre- to a museum. HTC or Samsung can make better webOS phones.

The buzz level here in U.S.A for Pre 3 is low. It will be DOA if they keep the launch in September / October. The only way they can comeback is by releasing on Sprint.
    eallan likes this.
    Yeah, seems that HP doesn't have enough power to impose new WebOS phones to carriers, at least in some reasonable time frame. Not only HTC or Samsung can make better phones than HP, they can probably get better treatment from carriers for their phones than HP.
    Whole time I have this strange feeling that carriers are doing "favor" to HP by unwillingly releasing WebOS devices after long begging from HP, resulting these "soft-launches". It's probably just a feeling, but that is how it looks to me.
    Last edited by chalx; 08/15/2011 at 05:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by eallan View Post
    How do you know better??
    Too many test units out for review. Website still has it listed.

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    Sprint Pre - Resting in peace | Touchpad - Stock and still running like new
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I believe the main reason for Pre 2ís failure is releasing on Verizon. They had hungry pre - users waiting for upgrade on Sprint. They never got one . Only few diehards did Franken pre. Releasing Pre3 on Sprint will make it a moderate success. If they want it to sell, they should release on all three carriers, or its DOA
    Stay tuned....
    http://forums.precentral.net/cdma-no...y-hp-pre3.html
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    I hope your Pre-diction comes true. HP always said to stay tuned.
    Palm III -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Sprint FrankenPixi+ -> Blackberry Bold 9930
    Yes. It's DOA.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Yes, I'd say at this point that the thread's question has been answered.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcmandan View Post
    Too many test units out for review. Website still has it listed.

I was being optimistic, but honestly, I knew I was wrong. I knew (in my head) the pre3 was vaporware a month ago. I just didn't want to admit it.

Yes I know it was quietly released to a reseller in England. Sorry, to me that's not enough to disqualify it as vapor.

Sprint Pre - Resting in peace | Touchpad - Stock and still running like new
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Indeed,
    However, it was dead before arrival.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Not at all.

In two years this thread will still be hotly debated. There are no facts that change belief.
    Yeah, it's pretty much dead now. It was discontinued before it was even launched in the U.S. At best, maybe HP will sell it unlocked like they did the Pre 2, in order to please the few remaining webOS faithful that are left.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456