Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post
    So what is considered DOA? Is it if it's not an overwhelming success? If it sells thousands or tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands is it still DOA? What's the criteria? I'm truly curious about people's opinions, not asking rhetorically.
    if they cannot sell a million , then I would say DOA
    I'd buy one if they'd just stinking release the thing. It may end up being the last webOS phone, but at least I would get a couple more years out of the OS until I had to upgrade again and switch to Android or iOS. *shudder*
    elvispre likes this.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I really want it NOW! It's a shame. WebOS really is the best smartphone OS out there - bar-none. Moving to any other smartphone OS is a step down. Get it out already! What's the holdup? I'd love to hear from HP that the delay is because they're giving it a spec bump, but I doubt it. I wish they'd just tell us SOMETHING!
  4.    #84  
    Hi all,

Perhaps they will dump the Pre3 or retool and redesign it into the Pre4 after the reviews they got for the TouchPad. Or since hindsight is 20/20 they are making sure that all the T's are crossed and every "i" is dotted. I'm sure the TouchPad's reviews would have been far better if they delayed until Ruby's last update was uploaded to all of them BEFORE they went up for review and sale.

They also will need to stress in the ads for the Pre3 the wireless charging and touch to share tech. Just as they need to do the same thing for the TouchPad, (they also should say the TouchPad is slightly thicker due to Touchstone wireless charging and touch to share tech.

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    threed61#WN likes this.
    What is this Pre3 you speak of? Where can I get one? When can I get one?

Wonder if Mark Hurd would be droppin' this ball the way Leo is? I wonder if Rubenstein is beating his head against the wall screamin' I told you so....

Is just "D" - Dead or "DOA" - Dead On Arrival? I question the whole "Arrival" scenario...
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by renegadepre View Post
    What is this Pre3 you speak of? Where can I get one? When can I get one?

Wonder if Mark Hurd would be droppin' this ball the way Leo is? I wonder if Rubenstein is beating his head against the wall screamin' I told you so....
    Mark was never the technologist with any vision. He is one of the best operations guy. His thing was cutting costs.

Quote Originally Posted by renegadepre View Post
    Is just "D" - Dead or "DOA" - Dead On Arrival? I question the whole "Arrival" scenario...
    Back on topic, I agree, there has to be "arrival" before calling it "Dead".

It should be "Dead Before Arrival" or "Dead During Transit"
    IMHO -

This space has never been, and it's looking like it never will be, a core competency for HP. While the management team continues to shuffle and bring in "new" talent - HP is an old company with an old mentality that is focused on delivering point solutions in print and servers to other legacy companies - all the big boys that have been around 50+ years.

They are not hip, they are not fresh and they don't seem to actually care. They have always counted on large enterprise business deals to bring in the revenue and I don't think this is changing - no matter what Leo says (where has Leo been of late? Not a peep since the TouchPad launched.)

While it's still early for WebOS at HP, I sure hope they stick to it and are successful. However, being 6 months since the announcement of the Pre3 and ZERO news, leadership seems to be seriously lacking.
    eallan likes this.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Perhaps they will dump the Pre3 or retool and redesign it into the Pre4 after the reviews they got for the TouchPad. Or since hindsight is 20/20 they are making sure that all the T's are crossed and every "i" is dotted.

Jay

I've been wondering the same thing too. I'll give HP credit for not setting some arbitrary launch date and hitting it regardless of whether the device is ready. Unfortunately, it doesn't reduce the agony of the prolonged waiting without any updated information.
    Unfortunately there are no i's or t's in "hp"

They are bound to release a device with bugs...all oems do
    If I didn't know better, I'd say the pre3 is vaporware..

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Sprint Pre - Resting in peace | Touchpad - Stock and still running like new
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcmandan View Post
    If I didn't know better, I'd say the pre3 is vaporware..

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    How do you know better??
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Mark was never the technologist with any vision. He is one of the best operations guy. His thing was cutting costs.

Back on topic, I agree, there has to be "arrival" before calling it "Dead".

It should be "Dead Before Arrival" or "Dead During Transit"
    More like dead BEFORE transit.
    Pre 3, What's that???
    Wasn't that like the prototype/concept phone HP revealed at Think Beyond.
    Is HP really going to release that phone? Could have fooled me.

My guess is the Pre 3 is going to be just like the Pre 2. A great phone, that didn't get to see the light of day. I really wish they would have scrapped the Veer in favor of the Pre 3. HP could have owned this summer if they had the Pre 3 available along side the TouchPad.
    HP did miss a great opportunity by not releasing it along side the Touchpad. The Pre 3 will be released sometime this year on ATT. Unfortunately, so will ATT's flagship phone the iPhone 5/4S. In order for the Pre3 to gain a foothold on ATT they will have to undercut the iPhone (which shouldn't be hard), and market the hell out of the Pre3.

In the end if WebOS is to survive then in the phone arena then HP as only 2 courses of action. 1) License the OS 2) release several different phone models/Styles back to back and on as many carriers as possible. They also need to hype a phone and then release it shortly there after. HP is not Apple. They don't have enough street cred to talk about a product and release it months later.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Oy.

First, the answer to the question is "No". There are more than a few million people who will buy the Pre 3.. even if most of them are current WebOS fans, past or present. That's far from "DOA".

Next, authors like this do this for the sensationalism, and dont really care about being right or wrong - what would be REALLY funny is if the Pre3 became a surprise smash hit, and guys like this get finally called on their speculative prognostications for being just that.

FWIW, when HP execs said that this is a "marathon, not a sprint", they were explaining how they are looking at this whole mobile market - they may not make the hottest and most "top-spec" devices out there initially, but, they will make solid, dependable ones that people will buy and rely on, and at some point, all that momentum will turn into an industry wide recognition for quality and substance... and that will give them the success they are striving for, financially.

You dont just jump into this industry.. you develop along with it, and mature inside of it.

IMO, of course.
    Although I would argue that Apple showed that this isn't the only way to be successful in the mobile space, this reminds me a lot of Android. Remember the G1 and HTC Hero days?
    Quote Originally Posted by nns View Post
    Although I would argue that Apple showed that this isn't the only way to be successful in the mobile space, this reminds me a lot of Android. Remember the G1 and HTC Hero days?
    Thanks for the response to my post.. your point is relevant, as well, I feel.

In the very end, it all boils down to this, though:

HP releases the Pre 3, and, consumers will have it as an option to choose from, when they purchase a new smartphone.

So, they will go into their mobile device store and see it next to the other devices and feel it in their hands - the lucky ones will have operational devices to play with, instead of the usual dummy ones.

I think that the WebOS users of the world, past and present, will defintely check this out and, being familiar with the OS, if they are satisfied with the larger size and thier experience, they'll buy one... WebOS is, IMO, that good an OS experience.. many have posted here that they hated leaving it, but had to for hardware reasons.

Then you have the potential new consumers... ones that are coming from Android, WM, or iOS.. they try the device out with a portait slide out keyboard and a 3.6" screen... some would not like it, outright. Others, on the other hand, will see this like an iPhone with a keyboard, which they prefer or not, and others will absolutely love it.

The technically astute newcomers, of course, will be another story, but, they arent the majority of potential consumers - they are, by far, an extreme minority, and, WebOS would likely win some new fans from them with the Pre 3, as well.

The choice will boil down to how it feels in the potential consumer's hand, and how it looks, and then, of course, how it is priced.

We can all agree it's likely an AT&T device for the US, so, if the Pre 3 is competing with the iPhone and the Android-toting/spec=topping devices they have there, HP has to be aggressive with their pricing to make it a viable alternative... and as you can see, that is something that they are very congizant of, given the TP pricingdiscounts of late.

The problem with threads like this is that they suggest that unless a device is "iPhone" or even "Droid" successful, they fail, and, for some cases, that would be a fair analysis, but, I believe, truly, that the WebOS devices fall into a different category - there is an established culture for these devices, albeit small, but, still, even the critics are still fans of it, 2.5 years after its debut, and, it takes only one solid, good performing device to take the WebOS ecosystem to the next level, and the Pre 3, even at its "not-state-of-the-art" specs, could do just that.

It needs to perform flaswlessly, and be priced to move, though.

Let's see what HP's position in this marathon is at this point, and how they plan to run the next leg of this race.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    This discussion needs a reboot. We were all operating under the assumption that the next iPhone will be announced and released by the first week of September. The most recent rumors say that the next iPhones will be announced in October. If the Pre3 is still released in August, that's a big enough gap to entice the webOS faithful at launch and still get the inevitable price cut before the iPhone 5 is released.

New generation Blackberries, New generation webOS devices, New generation WP Mango devices, new generation iOS5 devices and the rumored new generation Android Ice Cream Sandwich devices should make the next few months very interesting and probably finally determine the future of the industry.
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    If the Pre3 is still released in August,
    I think it's pretty clear at this stage that's just not happening - all the smart money is now on the middle of September.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    I really don't get why people keep saying a slider phone isn't going to beat a market leading slab phone. Of course it isn't !

its like saying the latest sports SUV isn't going to beat a Ferrari. Of *course* it isn't but it will be a darn sight easier and practical to use on a daily basis, and still a lot of fun. If you need an extension on your manhood get a Ferrari, I'm sure you will love it. If you want something which is not going to cost a fortune which will handle anything you throw at it, get a sports SUV

btw I had a Galaxy S2. It does beat the iphone 4 hands down. That's why Apple are so upset with Samsung. But it's no Pre3
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    Folks, this is a thread about the Pre 3. If you want to discuss other brands as alternatives, please post in the Other Handhelds forum or at the sister site for the OS you are wishing to discuss. Thanks.
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast