Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    If you listen to this thread, all phones except anything made by Apple and two or three Android handsets, no more than one per manufacturer, are DOA. All smartphones below the 600-off-contract mark? DOA. Small smartphones (wildfire, xperia mini, veer)? DOA. smartphones with a keyboard? DOA.

It's hard to find a group of people with a wronger, more parochial view of a market, only looking at the most expensive part of the market and completely ignoring as trash the entire rest.

I, too, think the new Ford sedan is DOA because, for only 30%, anyone can get a sports car that's superior in every way (quicker, less volume, bigger engine, mileage doesn't count obviously) so why would ANYONE get the sedan.
    Most of the handsets you describe are sold for lower prices or are aimed At a niche market. The pre 3 is going to be a flagship phone and priced accordingly, (if the TP is an example). It's hard to imagine a product with a poor track record and a not very good history or reputation competing with the top products.
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    If you listen to this thread, all phones except anything made by Apple and two or three Android handsets, no more than one per manufacturer, are DOA. All smartphones below the 600-off-contract mark? DOA. Small smartphones (wildfire, xperia mini, veer)? DOA. smartphones with a keyboard? DOA.

It's hard to find a group of people with a wronger, more parochial view of a market, only looking at the most expensive part of the market and completely ignoring as trash the entire rest.

I, too, think the new Ford sedan is DOA because, for only 30%, anyone can get a sports car that's superior in every way (quicker, less volume, bigger engine, mileage doesn't count obviously) so why would ANYONE get the sedan.
    There is a reason ford and chevy make sports cars. They don't make up the majority of their market, they don't make a large majority of their money on sales of a Ford GT or the ZR1 corvette.

They do however, create a ton of mind-share, name recognition, and respect.

There is no reason to discount the "high end" other than being an apologist and hoping against reason.

The Veer isn't making waves, a super late and old tech pre 3 won't make any either.

Come out with some amazing, fantastic, and cutting edge and force your way back into the market. People obviously have no problem spending 200 on contract, their are after all a ton of iphones out there.
    Great thread. In hindsight, instead of releasing the Veer, HP should have revamped--then immediately released the Pixi (with a new name?), then focused on the flagship Pre3.

Just before HP bought Palm, makes you wonder if HP had done any consumer surveys with their phones and consumer devices. Could have made a difference. Maybe.
    at the announcement they said the Pre3 is more tied to the Touchpad, so it wouldn't be released until the TouchPad arrived. TTS and the screen size made enyo necessary whereas the veer uses the same resolution as the pixi.
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister View Post
    Great thread. In hindsight, instead of releasing the Veer, HP should have revamped--then immediately released the Pixi (with a new name?), then focused on the flagship Pre3.

Just before HP bought Palm, makes you wonder if HP had done any consumer surveys with their phones and consumer devices. Could have made a difference. Maybe.
    Would have been brilliant to release the touchpad (without the awful glossy black back) and pre 3 in july with the same internals. Just like apple and others do, save money, good performance, etc.

The two could have had bundle deals, cool TTS features shown off in store, all kinds of good benefits.

I'd love to see the veers sales numbers.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Seems like they had to get the TouchPad out the door sooner because of the perceived cannibalization of HP's PC segment by the iPad. Regardless, I think getting the Pre 3 to market sooner would have reaped some immediate benefits and momentum. Such is life I guess; I still want a Pre 3, but my excitement has somewhat waned since February. webOS not withstanding, I can't help but feel a little downtrodden on the spec side...then again maybe they will pull something out of their hats? I still cannot understand them removing the technical specs from their site unless they were going to somehow change something.
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NoICon View Post
    Seems like they had to get the TouchPad out the door sooner because of the perceived cannibalization of HP's PC segment by the iPad. Regardless, I think getting the Pre 3 to market sooner would have reaped some immediate benefits and momentum. Such is life I guess; I still want a Pre 3, but my excitement has somewhat waned since February. webOS not withstanding, I can't help but feel a little downtrodden on the spec side...then again maybe they will pull something out of their hats? I still cannot understand them removing the technical specs from their site unless they were going to somehow change something.
    Sounds exactly like my feelings on the matter. I'm using a galaxy S 2, and have used many other android phones.

It's going to be hard to go from that down to a single core 1.4ghz with half as much ram and a "nothing special" screen.

I'm looking to try a webOS phone if they'll ever release one thats not 2 inches in screen size...
    NoICon likes this.
    I really don't think it will be DOA. After having 6 android phones over the course of 2 years and never feeling satisfied with the user experience. I messed with a friends pre and have been hooked ever since. I got a Pre 2 and enjoyed it and the user experience but now am left wanting a little more in the hardware department. Ironic huh? I'm really hoping the Pre 3 will satisfy this. Just release the dang thing already! Sheeesh!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister4g63 View Post
    I really don't think it will be DOA. After having 6 android phones over the course of 2 years and never feeling satisfied with the user experience. I messed with a friends pre and have been hooked ever since. I got a Pre 2 and enjoyed it and the user experience but now am left wanting a little more in the hardware department. Ironic huh? I'm really hoping the Pre 3 will satisfy this. Just release the dang thing already! Sheeesh!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Welcome to our world, where we don't want to move to a lesser OS just to get newer hardware. At least with a Pre 2, you SHOULD be able to overclock decently to get that performance.
    The Pre3 was a contender back in February. Now we’re not so sure. We’re not going to go so far as to declare the Pre3 dead-on-arrival as some others have – we certainly still want one and we know many of you do as well – but unless HP pulls out some sort of pricing and marketing miracle, it’s also not going to be the rebirth of the webOS smartphone that we’ve been waiting more than two years for.
    Six months without the HP Pre3 [editorial] | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net
    I think it was said before, but the Pre 3 will have to arrive to be DOA.

My prediction is the Veer is the last webOS phone to see the light of day in the US.

Pre 3 is only sold to GSM as a work phone and HP kills it off within months.
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    I think it was said before, but the Pre 3 will have to arrive to be DOA.
    Funny statement, but true. It has to arrive.
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I would like to replace "Everybody Is On" to "Everybody Is Out".
    Derek_B likes this.
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Pre 3 will be DOA if folks compare the sales to iPhone or Droids.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Too early to tell if it'll be DOA, but its chances of success decrease each and every day. Facts are facts and anticipation over the iPhone 5 is going crazy. Even the most conservative of estimates have Apple selling an absurd number of the iPhone 5 (even enough to double their market share). So many people already have their mind made up to get the iPhone 5 and once its released, it's gonna be all iPhone all the time.
    At this point, I'd have to say it's odds of being DOA are greater than 70%. It simply won't generate much interest (any?) outstide of the current WebOS community.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Pre 3 will be DOA if folks compare the sales to iPhone or Droids.
    So, all we have to do is avoid comparing the Pre 3 to its competition.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    So what is considered DOA? Is it if it's not an overwhelming success? If it sells thousands or tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands is it still DOA? What's the criteria? I'm truly curious about people's opinions, not asking rhetorically.
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post
    So what is considered DOA? Is it if it's not an overwhelming success? If it sells thousands or tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands is it still DOA? What's the criteria? I'm truly curious about people's opinions, not asking rhetorically.
    It's the mix of criteria that I mentioned earlier in the thread - if (in the UK) it launches on no carriers and as SIM only - then I'd consider it DOA.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It's the mix of criteria that I mentioned earlier in the thread - if (in the UK) it launches on no carriers and as SIM only - then I'd consider it DOA.
    Ok thanks. I made the mistake of deeming most of this topic tl;dr and just jumped in on the back end. My mistake.
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    hp might pull the plug on phones. Or it might be in Fall they release the Pr3
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast