Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wassupTC View Post
    Exactly!

HP has got to get this phone out the door and get it into the hands of the public. If the Pre3 won't be available in the United States, then fine. Announce the Pre4 or whatever it's called this month, with full specs and confirmed carriers, and release it next month.
    Just as aside here, Blackberry are considered a fairly rudderless organisation but look at what happened this week:

1) They announced new phones yesterday
    2) The pre-registration pages are up with carriers today
    3) Availability is expected within Six to eight weeks.

Now the phones themselves aren't very interesting but as a process of managing expectation and building buzz, I can't understand what a company with the size and leverage is struggling to do the same?
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    First off -- I really wish people would stop using that old "it's a marathon not a sprint" phrase. It's played-out. The marathon began and others left the starting block long ago. Based on the lack of visible progress, it seems HP is still trying to figure out how to tie their shoes.

Here's the thing about the Pre 3 release. Unless HP surprises everybody with upgraded specs and it truly is cutting-edge, this phone will not be the hottest thing around. There's just too much competition with top-notch devices.

They key for HP is the price point. If they do a repeat of the TPad where it was priced at the top-end of the market, I'm afraid the Pre 3 will go into a death spiral faster than John Wayne shooting down a Zero. They need to price the Pre 3 in comparison of where the phone ranks in the market to get attention.

I don't like it either. I was hoping to see a phone that could compete with the top players in the market. The Pre 3 may be nifty, but it's probably going to be in the middle of the pack unless there's a very pleasant surprise coming along.
    gabe2gg, sinsin07 and Corpora like this.
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
    First off -- I really wish people would stop using that old "it's a marathon not a sprint" phrase. It's played-out. The marathon began and others left the starting block long ago. Based on the lack of visible progress, it seems HP is still trying to figure out how to tie their shoes.
    The way I look at it, the development of overall market share is the marathon, the release of individual products is the sprint. It's irrelevant what the overall plans are if the pre3 comes out on no carriers and little promotion - overall strategy makes no difference to individual launches.
    Hobbz likes this.
    First off -- I really wish people would stop using that old "it's a marathon not a sprint" phrase. It's played-out. The marathon began and others left the starting block long ago. Based on the lack of visible progress, it seems HP is still trying to figure out how to tie their shoes..
    Excuse me, but, wish for this all you want, but you cant argue with facts - this has been stated over and over again by HP executives. If you can't understand it, or have problems seeing the connection between what they have indicated their plans were and how they are executing them, fine, but, really, Im not sure that sensoring others who *do* see that precise connection is doing anyone any good.

Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion - and, might I add, the anti-HP cynicism over this issue is, if I may take some literary liberties here, VERY "played out", as well.

Thanks, in advance, for your consideration, and respect for other's opinions.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    i think the people that already love webOS and have not moved on to Android or iphone will probably buy it and be satisfied. Outside of those people i think it will have a tough time.
    Yes and no. There is something called a 2 year contract.

Yes . If you are at the end of the cycle for your 2 year contract and your Pre - is dying you need a phone. Its not a "want" a "need" . If HP has the Pre 3 ready for you, then its a no brainier.

No, Your Pre - dies and HP is not telling when the release date is. Folks move on to either Android or whatever is the best out there.

Very few customers have time to manage their old Pres (dealing with insurance, patching, doctoring, frankenPre...).

A lost Pre - customer will not likely coming back to HP for next two years. So the Pre3 could turn out to be DOA based on sales.
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I have a different take on this situation. Generally speaking I agree that it will be DOA. The only way they can make it a success is by releasing it before the end of August on all three carriers i.e. include Sprint with Verizon and ATT.

I bet that can stop defections to other platforms.
    The frontrunners in this race have the luxury of treating it like a marathon because they've already established solid software foundations, vibrant ecosystems, global marketshare, expansive developer support, and market demand.

For those at the back of the pack, it's very much a sprint because they need to somehow make up all that ground as quickly as possible before they fall out of the race completely.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Steering this conversation back to the original premise - the viability of the Pre3 - it is important to not confuse the question of that one phone with he fortunes of webOS or HP/ mobile division as a whole. While I would count myself as one who hopes for the best with the platform, there are potentially issues in the path to success for the Pre 3.

The timing of the release of the Pre 3 and how it is bundled and presented will make a big difference in how successful it will be. A middle of the road (specwise) device is a tougher sell:

Apple can pull it off because they have a big lead over the competition and a robust software catalog (I'm not saying their latest phone is middle of the road, but they can still sell their old tech based on their ecosystem... and get away with it. )

Android phones are a relatively few high profile devices carrying in their wake a lot of mediocre device (the Citrus, anyone?). They can flood the market. Verizon has 16 different Android phones on sale right now, 3 of which can be had for free. (if you count rebfurbs, they have 22 devices on sale ) But most of them sell for $149 or above. A price point and style for everyone.

HP has just the two current phones (Veer and Pre 2). They are not getting into all of the carriers. The software OS updates are delayed or not sent OTA at all. The carrier (Verizon) is getting only $49 for each sale of the Pre 2 vs. at least 3 times as much for the Android Phones (even the lower tier ones) and getting 4 to 6 times as much for an Apple phone. They see no value, from their perspective, in the Palm/HP brand.

This is why they need a monster phone. I don't need one, I'll be happy with a Pre 3 and am saving my upgrade for one. And many of us (enthusiasts) are already sold.

BUT...they need to sell (not just literally but mentally), the general public, the store CSR's, and the buyers for the mobile carriers. Otherwise they won't even have a decent chance at selling their phone to anyone.

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    The frontrunners in this race have the luxury of treating it like a marathon because they've already established solid software foundations, vibrant ecosystems, global marketshare, expansive developer support, and market demand.

For those at the back of the pack, it's very much a sprint because they need to somehow make up all that ground as quickly as possible before they fall out of the race completely.
    There is no longer the marathon option! That idea or premise is long dead since they are just getting the phone into UK hands with only one change and that was the addition to the camera focusing. Iphone, blackberry, Droid, even Samsung are about two years ahead in the specs department. And if rumors are true Samsung will be sold some rights to use webOS on their phones in some shape or form. The only new webOS ideas we have seen are the Veers which aren't many where I live and even fewer for TP's.

What do you people think, that with the release of the Pre3 that they will be dropped off at the front of the pack and allowed the run the rest of the way? That's wishful thinking and a tad naive. That could happen with a bundle deal dealing with TP's and Pre3's but that will likely happen about as much as Steve jobs getting his soul back from Satan with an apology attached, "Sorry Steve, guess you didn't need my help with having three version all sucking at release"!
    Quote Originally Posted by Riboflavin View Post
    This article is exactly how i feel. It is too late for the Pre3 as it was announced back in Feb.

Either come out with a new version of the Pre3 (add a + to it if you really want) with spec bumps across the board, or just scrap it, along with the Pre name, and have a kick *** device ready to ship at CES.

HP needs to do something bold to get back in the game. Maybe offer an amazing phone and sell it for close to cost. They need to make a big splash if they hope to stay in the Mobile market.
    My thoughts exactly.

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    Sprint Pre - Resting in peace | Touchpad - Stock and still running like new
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    At this point, I just want to know why HP didn't have the phone hardware mostly ready to go back in February? A company like HP SHOULD have been able to get the hardware out the door quickly, before the Touchpad. In April or May, a single-core 1.4GHz Pre 3 would have sold well as a high end device, and if TTS wasn't ready yet, without a Touchpad, no one would have cared. Why was the VEER of all devices released first?

And so, the Pre 3 still isn't here, there is building hype about the iPhone 5, or 4GS, or whatever it ends up being called, and HP still is not talking to the WebOS user community. If it shows up here in the USA after the next iPhone comes out, it doesn't matter what the specs are, it will KILL potential sales of the Pre 3. No one CARES if HP still releases it technically in the summer if the iPhone 5 is released first, or within a week or two.

The other issue that I touched on is that software issues really should not have held back the release of the Pre 3. If TTS was the delay, or even Enyo, release the Pre 3 with WebOS 2.1 and then when the Touchpad was ready to launch, THEN the Enyo update could have been added. Phones drive tablet sales, not the other way around, so it was FOOLISH of HP to release the Touchpad before the Pre 3.
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    At this point, I just want to know why HP didn't have the phone hardware mostly ready to go back in February? A company like HP SHOULD have been able to get the hardware out the door quickly, before the Touchpad. In April or May, a single-core 1.4GHz Pre 3 would have sold well as a high end device, and if TTS wasn't ready yet, without a Touchpad, no one would have cared. Why was the VEER of all devices released first?

And so, the Pre 3 still isn't here, there is building hype about the iPhone 5, or 4GS, or whatever it ends up being called, and HP still is not talking to the WebOS user community. If it shows up here in the USA after the next iPhone comes out, it doesn't matter what the specs are, it will KILL potential sales of the Pre 3. No one CARES if HP still releases it technically in the summer if the iPhone 5 is released first, or within a week or two.

The other issue that I touched on is that software issues really should not have held back the release of the Pre 3. If TTS was the delay, or even Enyo, release the Pre 3 with WebOS 2.1 and then when the Touchpad was ready to launch, THEN the Enyo update could have been added. Phones drive tablet sales, not the other way around, so it was FOOLISH of HP to release the Touchpad before the Pre 3.
    Exactly how I feel. What the hell was the veer out for first?
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Sorry to say but yes it is doa. The masses aren't interested in this form factor.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Excuse me, but, wish for this all you want, but you cant argue with facts - this has been stated over and over again by HP executives. If you can't understand it, or have problems seeing the connection between what they have indicated their plans were and how they are executing them, fine, but, really, Im not sure that sensoring others who *do* see that precise connection is doing anyone any good.

Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion - and, might I add, the anti-HP cynicism over this issue is, if I may take some literary liberties here, VERY "played out", as well.

Thanks, in advance, for your consideration, and respect for other's opinions.

It's always entertaining when somebody starts putting words in my mouth and references unproven facts. Especially so when the person gets all emotional, then asks for respect after being so disrespectful. The proverb about glass houses and stones comes to mind.

Unlike those who are placated by catchy phrases made several months ago, I judge HP on their track record. There's nothing "anti-HP" about it. They made a number of promises and have yet to deliver. We all will judge the results once the Pre 3 is launched, including HP themselves.
    It's always entertaining when somebody starts putting words in my mouth and references unproven facts. Especially so when the person gets all emotional, then asks for respect after being so disrespectful. The proverb about glass houses and stones comes to mind.

Unlike those who are placated by catchy phrases made several months ago, I judge HP on their track record. There's nothing "anti-HP" about it. They made a number of promises and have yet to deliver. We all will judge the results once the Pre 3 is launched, including HP themselves.
    What "unproven facts"???

Where have I been "all emotional" and "so disrespectful"??

Again, my post was to point out that YOU feel other's opinions are just plain incorrect, and shouldnt be posted, even if they are based on FACTual statements and goals from management.

Sheesh!

Last edited by LCGuy; 08/05/2011 at 12:59 PM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

It pains me to watch webOS continue to fail to live up to expectations for one reason or another. I'm very tempted to jump ship to Windows Phone 7, a platform that seems to be getting everything right in its attempt to establish itself as a serious player.
    I don't expect any carriers to put much weigh behind pushing webOS devices. In my opinion that's HP job through advertising. It's HP job to get people into the stores and have them asking about the webos devices. The Pre 3 should be a good phone but I do wish that HP would have released the phone in June. HP has said that they have other phones in the works and we've seen the leaked pic of the slab. They'll release more good products into the market but it doesn't look like they're taking the release a device every month approach.

I'm more of the mindset of let's see how this how thing plays out of the next several years.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    !!! SCRAP THE "PRE" NAME ASAP !!!

I cannot believe any marketer has let the name live. Its is not even cool even without the bad history. (and I still think my pre - was the best all around phone I've had) (have nxs 4g now - I just came back here to see if a $300 TP was worth it - my conclusion is no - my netbook/laptop/nook color modded are good enough)

Palm made bad marketing decisions and now HP diddling with the Pre3 and releasing TP too fast ... sucky / marginal reviews are a killer even to a Palm <<mod delete>>

Mango is looking sweet with audible text reading /car integration. Still I am with nxs for now.

I would consider $300 HP if it some how dominated on simpler things like - case, screen visibility outside by the pool or patio - ie. not slip and fall / glarish (reviews) - plus the only one I saw - looked unloved and broken at office depot - sort of an after thought.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 08/06/2011 at 10:07 AM. Reason: language
    Derek_B and threed61#WN like this.
    If you listen to this thread, all phones except anything made by Apple and two or three Android handsets, no more than one per manufacturer, are DOA. All smartphones below the 600-off-contract mark? DOA. Small smartphones (wildfire, xperia mini, veer)? DOA. smartphones with a keyboard? DOA.

It's hard to find a group of people with a wronger, more parochial view of a market, only looking at the most expensive part of the market and completely ignoring as trash the entire rest.

I, too, think the new Ford sedan is DOA because, for only 30%, anyone can get a sports car that's superior in every way (quicker, less volume, bigger engine, mileage doesn't count obviously) so why would ANYONE get the sedan.
    kins likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post

I, too, think the new Ford sedan is DOA because, for only 30%, anyone can get a sports car that's superior in every way (quicker, less volume, bigger engine, mileage doesn't count obviously) so why would ANYONE get the sedan.
    Hey, don't talk trash about my car.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast