Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jhoff80
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Does anyone know if the current touchstone for the Pre, Pre2 and Pixi will work on the Pre3? Thanks in advance!
    Yes, they should.
    But they probably won't be location aware like supposedly is going to be a new feature with newer Touchstones with the Pre 3.
    bevcraw likes this.
    What will the location aware feature be for? Might just buy a touchstone from amazon if it's nothing special.
    So far the location aware thing is used to just launch a certain exhibition mode depending on where you are. I dont see how this can be that big of a feature to make a whole new and probably more expensive Touchstone so maybe it will have more features. As of right now though, thats all it has been said to do. Touchstone chargers arent that expensive now so if I were you, I would just get one.
    Quote Originally Posted by joyu12 View Post
    What will the location aware feature be for? Might just buy a touchstone from amazon if it's nothing special.
    During the presentation, they said that it'll be able to put a different exhibition mode up automatically depending on where you are... ie agenda on desk, clock at bedside, etc.

It's nothing major, but it would be nice, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    During the presentation, they said that it'll be able to put a different exhibition mode up automatically depending on where you are... ie agenda on desk, clock at bedside, etc.

It's nothing major, but it would be nice, I think.
    Might get one for the bedside. Otherwise the default that would show up with the old touchstone probably would work everywhere else.
    Quote Originally Posted by joyu12 View Post
    They are cheaper on the Verizon website. But yes, that will be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    They are cheaper on the Verizon website. But yes, that will be fine.
    Cheers for the tip. I live in Norway, so I might have to get it shipped by a friend but then it will arrive at the same time as I get home from vacation so no trouble
    Why does this feature require a special touchstone? The phone should know where it is via cell towers and GPS, if locked.
    Quote Originally Posted by metalfan49 View Post
    Why does this feature require a special touchstone? The phone should know where it is via cell towers and GPS, if locked.
    It's thought to be based on a 'tag' that the Touchstone itself has, and not GPS. In fact, if it was GPS based, I wouldn't use it, because chances are it wouldn't be accurate enough indoors, and it would probably kill the battery more.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    It's thought to be based on a 'tag' that the Touchstone itself has, and not GPS. In fact, if it was GPS based, I wouldn't use it, because chances are it wouldn't be accurate enough indoors, and it would probably kill the battery more.
    If it was GPS based they would probably just release an update to our phones that would enable this. There would be no need to have your phone and your charger be GPS aware. So I think we can rule that out.
    Last edited by jsgraphicart; 08/03/2011 at 02:03 PM.
    Tangent, has anyone actually done an GPS aware Exhibition apps yet?
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by metalfan49 View Post
    It isn't really location aware, it just remembers the exhibition mode to use for each touchstone. This is in the touchpad's touchstone but I've not heard for sure it is coming to the smaller phone touchstones.
    I don't think we should be calling it "location aware" it's just aware of which TouchStone it's sat on. So if it's the one in your bedroom you might have the clock, if it's in your kitchen it might be the Facebook exhibition mode.

My hope is that ModeSwitcher will be able to identify which TouchStone it's sat on. For example, in my car turn GPS on & open Trapster. When in bedroom turn ring volume down, etc... Could be very useful!
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by richardtank View Post
    My hope is that ModeSwitcher will be able to identify which TouchStone it's sat on. For example, in my car turn GPS on & open Trapster. When in bedroom turn ring volume down, etc... Could be very useful!
    That's exactly what I'm hoping for too.
    This has great potential for "smart" use.
    Quote Originally Posted by richardtank View Post
    I don't think we should be calling it "location aware" it's just aware of which TouchStone it's sat on. So if it's the one in your bedroom you might have the clock, if it's in your kitchen it might be the Facebook exhibition mode.

Yes, this is what I want...when I put it on the Touchstone in my vehicle, it will connect via bluetooth and turn off wifi. When I go to work,it will turn on Wifi and turn off Bluetooth, etc.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)