Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By russraff32
  • 1 Post By YankBoy
  • 1 Post By Sukiyaki
  1.    #1  
    I've been assuming all along that I'll use my December upgrade for the Pre 3 on VZW. While I'm still operating under that general assumption there are 4 things that will need be in place for me to actually pull the trigger:

    1. It needs to be a fully functional phone. None of this "update coming soon" stuff in order for the phone do everything its supposed to. Hopefully, by December, all that nonsense will be worked out.

    2. 100% fully functional consistent GPS. Enough with the he said, she said about who is to blame. Just make sure it works...all the time. (this one alone will be an absolute deal breaker for me)

    3. Between now and December, I really need to see some movement on app development. At least get some of the bigger developers saying they're going to start or have started working on WebOS apps. I've maintained for a long time that apps didn't really matter to me (and in many ways they still don't), but a weekend of playing with my fiance's iPhone opened my eyes to many of the more practical apps that are out there but not available for WebOS.

    4. I need to feel 100% confident that the Pre 3 won't be running an outdated version of WebOS and will get support and updates as needed. Ruby's latest statements didn't give me a great deal of confidence that they are really committed to supporting the Pre 3.

    Fortunately, I'm not up for an upgrade until December so by then I'll have a good idea of what's going on with most of these issues. I believe these are pretty reasonable and basic expectations and I'm hoping HP can make it an easy decision for me to move up to the Pre 3.
  2. #2  
    These sound like things that would make the Pre 3 succeed, thought you didn't want that. Can't believe you held that lefty fantasy device in your hand.
  3. djmcgee's Avatar
    Posts
    626 Posts
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    #3  
    Before I bought my Nexus S 4G, what the Pre3 would have needed for me to purchase it is availability.

    I can't purchase what isn't there. Maybe next year, oh wait, I misspoke. In the coming months I will purchase a new HP phone.
    Dan
  4. #4  
    Thanks for sharing. We were concerned about your upgrade path....
  5. #5  
    ... I've been sitting on my Version upgrade since January (jan 25, to be exact... got the pre+ as soon as I could).

    Recently bought a Pre2 off-contract to tide me over for a while.. seems snappy enough to keep me going for a few months.

    Hoy... VERIZON... CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW??? Where the heck is the 2.1 Update???!!!

    To take OP's point a little further, I would probably hold off at least 6 months after pre3 release on Verizon. They take so darn long to get OTA's out, it probbaly won't be a "safe" bet until then.


    <Hang on... did I just say "safe bet" in the same breath as "HP Pre3" and "Verizon"... Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, haaaaaa, heeeeeeee, heeeeee... must've fallen off my meds!

    Thought for the day: If Verizon bring out a Veer (with almost a year experience & updates to it), and a 7" Opal... I might skip the Pre3 altogether!

    russ
    threed61#WN likes this.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by threed61 View Post
    These sound like things that would make the Pre 3 succeed, thought you didn't want that. Can't believe you held that lefty fantasy device in your hand.
    Really didn't have a choice. I left my charger at home and was out of town the whole weekend.
    threed61#WN likes this.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleKeg View Post
    Thanks for sharing. We were concerned about your upgrade path....
    You'd be surprised how much you want to know about me.
  8. #8  
    my guess is we're going to have everything you are looking for except lots of apps. It should improve but will take time for a new ground-swell.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by hpsalesguy View Post
    my guess is we're going to have everything you are looking for except lots of apps. It should improve but will take time for a new ground-swell.
    Of my expectations, the apps would be of lowest importance. I'd just like to know by December that WebOS is in a position that some of the bigger developers are ready to start making apps for it (or already making apps for it).
  10. #10  
    What it will take for ME to purchase the pre 3: Become available on sprint, verizon or at&t.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    purplepansy likes this.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    I've been assuming all along that I'll use my December upgrade for the Pre 3 on VZW. While I'm still operating under that general assumption there are 4 things that will need be in place for me to actually pull the trigger:

    1. It needs to be a fully functional phone. None of this "update coming soon" stuff in order for the phone do everything its supposed to. Hopefully, by December, all that nonsense will be worked out.

    2. 100% fully functional consistent GPS. Enough with the he said, she said about who is to blame. Just make sure it works...all the time. (this one alone will be an absolute deal breaker for me)

    3. Between now and December, I really need to see some movement on app development. At least get some of the bigger developers saying they're going to start or have started working on WebOS apps. I've maintained for a long time that apps didn't really matter to me (and in many ways they still don't), but a weekend of playing with my fiance's iPhone opened my eyes to many of the more practical apps that are out there but not available for WebOS.

    4. I need to feel 100% confident that the Pre 3 won't be running an outdated version of WebOS and will get support and updates as needed. Ruby's latest statements didn't give me a great deal of confidence that they are really committed to supporting the Pre 3.

    Fortunately, I'm not up for an upgrade until December so by then I'll have a good idea of what's going on with most of these issues. I believe these are pretty reasonable and basic expectations and I'm hoping HP can make it an easy decision for me to move up to the Pre 3.
    Actually you forgot:

    0. The Pre 3 will be carried by VZW.

    There are no U.S. carriers yet. Sure HP has the phones for AT&T and VZW, but no carriers are announced by HP, and no carriers have announced that they will carry the Pre 3. The phone is now announced in the UK, there is no reason why it couldn't be announced in the U.S. too -- unless they are no carriers (this is the only logical explanation).
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by hpsalesguy View Post
    my guess is we're going to have everything you are looking for except lots of apps. It should improve but will take time for a new ground-swell.
    i don't think you'll get the apps either. But i really don't think even android level of app support will come during the life of a two year contract. The future may prove me wrong, but i just don't think the mainstream support is coming.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  13. #13  
    Pre 3 is DOA it's about 3-4 months late from having a fighting chance.

    Thing should have been available June 1st...

    I work with nearly 5,700 other tech-y people for a really large company... not heard one... one... person mention an HP TouchPad... I've seen maybe a dozen Pre- or Pre+ in teh last 2 years here... I left WebOS when HP didn't deliver a product when it was time for them to. Shame on them.

Posting Permissions