Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Thead
  • 1 Post By Suntan
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    What do you guys think will be the launch price of the hp pre 3 (on contract of course). Im debating weather I should get the pre 2 which will be under $50 USD or wait for the pre 3. The Pre 3s specs are a decent upgrade but nothing amazing. idk. it all depends on the launch price of the pre3.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    I'm hoping for a launch at $149 with competition from Amazon quickly bringing it to $99 or lower. That seems reasonable to me.
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    Anywhere between 100 and 150.. at AT&T and then Best Buy will sell it for less.. like 50 to 100 and that'll perfect for me. Considering i'm jobless.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    I'm guessing 200 like every other new smart phone

well if it ever comes out
    I think VZW will have it for $200 initially, where it won’t sell much except to people that are still holding out on an original pre. Then it will quickly plummet (week or two later) either via a BOGO or just outright price drop. With 3rd party sales (aka BB, Amazon) offering it for pennies shortly after that.

No idea what ATT will do.

-Suntan
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    A lot of it depends on the price of the iPhone 5 and when it shows up here in the USA. Normally, a phone that competes in the high end of the market is in the $200 with contract range, but considering the other devices being sold, it MAY go for $150 with contract.

3.6 inch screen plus slide-out keyboard is far more competitive in size than the 3.2 inch screen plus slide-out keyboard, but the 1.4GHz single-core isn't as attractive as the dual-core processors in some of the new top-end phones.
    Im in the same boat. Im eligible for an upgrade on Verizon and Im just waiting to see how much I can get the Pre 3 for. Last I checked, I can upgrade to a pre 2 for $99.
    How much of the pricing strategy is psychological? For both HP and consumers? If since Pre3 is a flagship phone for HP, does it need to come out as a flagship price, meaning $200-250 on contract? And if they release it for cheaper, say $100-150 (which is probably the correct price for this device based on hardware), would the consumers hungry for the latest and greatest think, "oh, it must not be as good as xxxxxxx" since it's cheaper...?

I'm just asking b/c I'm ready to plunk down $200 for a flagship device. But for the typical consumers, does it come down to, cheaper is better and they would select accordingly based on lowest price?
    Pre 2 is $49.99 right now.
    If I can get an Atrix or Inspire for $100, and a Captivate for $49, what is the draw of a Pre3 for $200? I like WebOS and I really wanted a Pre3, but it's the same ol' os on a faster phone. I don't want to pay $200 for a faster Pixi.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    I assume you're all talking 2 year plan price or such? I will buy off contract so I'm expecting $400+ :-(

lol. TP, Veer and Pre3. I'm sick.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    How much of the pricing strategy is psychological? For both HP and consumers? If since Pre3 is a flagship phone for HP, does it need to come out as a flagship price, meaning $200-250 on contract? And if they release it for cheaper, say $100-150 (which is probably the correct price for this device based on hardware), would the consumers hungry for the latest and greatest think, "oh, it must not be as good as xxxxxxx" since it's cheaper...?
    Some people might think like that but I doubt most do. My wife just got a Nexus S b/c it was only $99. She wanted a good phone but thought $199 was way too expensive. For another example, the original Droid X launched at $199, but the X2 just launched at $99. I'm sure it'll still do fine.
    Assuming that the Pre 3 lands on AT&T first, take a look at AT&T's Current Smartphones:

The Pre 3 has similar specs to last summer's Captivate which is $49 and also at 480 x 800 pixels and 512MB. The Captivate is lighter and smaller with a 4" screen. The Captivate adds microSD, zoom, and DLNA.

The next price-point at AT&T is $99 where you find the Atrix at 960x540, dual core, 16GB, microSD, HDMI, DLNA, zoom, 4", smaller, and lighter.

See Phone Arena's Comparison.

Beyond that you are up against the Infuse and iPhone 4.

So by that argument, the Pre 3 needs to be under $49?

More likely HP will price the Pre 3 to match the iPhone just like the TouchPad price matches the iPad 2.

So my guess is $199.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/02/2011 at 10:31 AM.
    449eur for the german unlocked 8GB version (without contract)
    $199 would be a mistake, but since they tried to launch the veer at $99, I suspect HP will go right ahead and make that mistake. I think if it was closer to Feb 2011, they could get away with it, but really, any excitement about the pre3 they had with the general public has died off. The only ones who really want this phone are die-hard webos fans and sprint users.

I don't know how much say HP has over the contract price, but I think they should be different and launch at $124.99.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    I'm buying at 50 or less, or 150 off contract...
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!