Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    whats with all the android device taking names from the transformers franchise? "Optimus", of course "Transformer", and now "Prime"?
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    whats with all the android device taking names from the transformers franchise? "Optimus", of course "Transformer", and now "Prime"?
    No excuses for the optimus. But the transformer gets its name from the fact that it can transform into a netbook. The Prime, well that word was around long before Hasbro.

-Suntan
    Optimus is latin, it means "best".
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    No excuses for the optimus. But the transformer gets its name from the fact that it can transform into a netbook. The Prime, well that word was around long before Hasbro.

-Suntan
    Im just saying. lol
    Im just saying. lol
    That brings up a good question though. Why do they keep insisting on using the "Pre" name? You could argue that the original Pre- left a sour taste in most people's mouths w/ regards to build quality, and even then it was seen as being a little overly boastful about being an iphone killer.

I would have thought they would have moved on to something new within the last 3 iterations.

-Suntan
    Derek_B likes this.
    That brings up a good question though. Why do they keep insisting on using the "Pre" name?
    Because had they changed it, you'd now be complaining that instead of seeing any semblance of long-term strategy, you see HP run around like a headless chicken renaming products left and right so nobody knows what's what anymore.
    cobrakon likes this.
    That brings up a good question though. Why do they keep insisting on using the "Pre" name? You could argue that the original Pre- left a sour taste in most people's mouths w/ regards to build quality, and even then it was seen as being a little overly boastful about being an iphone killer.

I would have thought they would have moved on to something new within the last 3 iterations.

-Suntan
    I have a feeling the next phone after the pre 3 will be called something else rather than pre 4. I dont know why.
    retroblu likes this.
    Sure it makes the top 5 just because it is an unknown, I would put it on my list too.

However, did you read the last line of that section: "We’re hoping to see the Pre 3 drop sometime this fall"? I guess they don't believe HP either...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Sure it makes the top 5 just because it is an unknown, I would put it on my list too.

However, did you read the last line of that section: "We’re hoping to see the Pre 3 drop sometime this fall"? I guess they don't believe HP either...
    Well we still have two more moths until summer is officially over. The Pre 3 BETTER come out before then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Optimus is latin, it means "best".
    So i just looked up "Prime" and that's latin for first from the word Primus. So Optimus Prime is "Best First?" Isn't that kinda redundant? If you're best aren't you nessasarily first? I say we shorten it to just Optimus. Like Prince. Or Ronaldo. The real Ronaldo.

Well we still have two more moths until summer is officially over. The Pre 3 BETTER come out before then.
    With all with all the rumors of a september iphone i think no matter what they would be smart to release their phone well before the iphone so as not to get swallowed by the media storm that surrounds iphone launches. Not sure that is possible at this stage given that an fruit announcement may come beginning of sept but i think from a tactical plan it would be best to not directly challenge that launch. To get it out soon
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    Or Ronaldo. The real Ronaldo.
    I think you mean Geraldo...

-Suntan
    Seems to me the article just picked a leading phone for each platform, nothing more.
  13.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    Seems to me the article just picked a leading phone for each platform, nothing more.
    Maybe, but I'm just glad they know the Pre 3 exists. What I read in that blurb somewhat confirms in my mind that the Pre 3 is very close to a make or break product. Obviously the 4 WebOS phones released to date have left people wanting in one way or another and it seems that critics are looking at the Pre 3 as a "ok, it's time to show me what you really have" moment.

-Suntan
    B/c pre3 looks like a pre.
    If they want to change the name, they need to develop a completely different looking phone.
    So i just looked up "Prime" and that's latin for first from the word Primus. So Optimus Prime is "Best First?" Isn't that kinda redundant? If you're best aren't you nessasarily first? I say we shorten it to just Optimus. Like Prince. Or Ronaldo. The real Ronaldo.
    not necessarily, kinda like how webOS is the Best OS out there, but not the first to get picked up my the majority of people

or in baseball, you dont usually have your Best hitter going first

and some of the Best products on the market arent usually the first ones to be bought, due to people preferences
    I would buy any product named "Best First."
    Yep, #5, right behind the Blackberry Torch, ironically.

Lemme see... the Torch is modelled after the Pre, and the Playbook's OS has many of WebOS's UI features in it.

That's just too coincidental for me to keep a straight face while reading this list.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Well I think "Optimus" is technically his name and "Prime" is his title.
    LordSecksie likes this.
    I think you mean Geraldo...

-Suntan
    Um no. The great Ronaldo and that guy you mentioned don't deserve to be in the same sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by retroblu View Post
    not necessarily, kinda like how webOS is the Best OS out there, but not the first to get picked up my the majority of people

or in baseball, you dont usually have your Best hitter going first

and some of the Best products on the market arent usually the first ones to be bought, due to people preferences
    Yeah but The lead off hitters is the best guy at getting on base normally. That's why he's first. He's still the best at the primary job of the leadoff hitter and he's still first. Best hitter is subjective but typically you're best "homerun hitter" is the first possible batter that can hit with the bases loaded hence being fourth. That may not make him the "best hitter" he may merely be the best at driving in runs. Regardless hey i get you're point. not sure i agree but there's room for disagreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Well I think "Optimus" is technically his name and "Prime" is his title.
    interesting. still weird.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast