Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SirataXero
  1.    #1  
    Just looking around on the HP site and noticed that on title at top it says
    "HP webOS for 4G Pre3. Simply Amazing." You can see for yourself here
    HP webOS for 4G Pre3. Simply Amazing. | HP® Official Site | U.S.

Think it was a mistake or a clue as to why the specs were taken down?
    Sometime you are the ball; sometimes you are the pins.
    Me and some other guy posted this already. It has HSPA+, Same with the Veer. So yeah, they're going to market it as a 4G device.
    4G means nothing anymore, and has never meant anything in an actual consumer device. WiMax isn't 4G, HSPA+ isn't 4G - but they're on a similar 3.5G stage. LTE could be 4G one day but isn't quite there yet.

So right now, consider "4G" a marketing buzzword for "speeds greater than your daddy's 3G". The Pre3 will have those. It won't be 4G - no phone out this year or next will - but it will be "4G", and as far as "4G" implementations go, its platform (HSPA+) is a good choice when compared to WiMax (although users dedicated to WiMax-only networks, while a minority, have proven to be extremely vocal). LTE is potentially better, but only available in small, limited areas strewn around the globe. LTE is going to rock our world in a couple of years when the infrastructure is in place -- but until then, it doesn't make any sense unless you're right inside one of those LTE pockets... where your actual network speeds won't be substantially better than your average "4G" / Faux-G network.
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 07/29/2011 at 07:36 AM.
    I know there's been a lot of complaining about 4G etc etc. Seriously, I think we're all over it. AT&T calls HSPA+ as well as LTE 4G. Let them. It's faster than 3G, and 3.5G doesn't sound as cool. Let them call it 4G and lets move on with our lives.

In other words, yes the Pre 3 will be 4G. I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty excited about having a Pre 3 that has internet thats much faster than 3G.

It may be blasphemous, but I'll call it 4G.
    kill_dano likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    I know there's been a lot of complaining about 4G etc etc. Seriously, I think we're all over it. AT&T calls HSPA+ as well as LTE 4G. Let them. It's faster than 3G, and 3.5G doesn't sound as cool. Let them call it 4G and lets move on with our lives.

In other words, yes the Pre 3 will be 4G. I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty excited about having a Pre 3 that has internet thats much faster than 3G.

Me too!

I just wish we had a date for when this "4G Pre 3" will hit. My wife is getting antsy as we just paid the last bill on our 2 year Sprint contract... Ready to switch carriers, just not sure where yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by xBlackxBlood View Post
    Me and some other guy posted this already. It has HSPA+, Same with the Veer. So yeah, they're going to market it as a 4G device.
    HSPA+ yes.. but is it HSDPA CAT 10 which means downloads are capped at a theoretical high speed of 14Mbps like the Veer?
    Motorola Startac-> Motorola RAZR -> Motorola RAZR V3 -> Blackberry Curve -> Blackberry Bold -> Iphone 3G -> Iphone 3GS -> Palm Pre -> Blackerry Bold 2 -> Iphone 4 -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post

I agree. By now, the people that are dork enough to care about the "4G" distinction already know exatly what's what. Nobody else cares what its called.

The only news-worthy issue left with all this is if the Verizon version of the Pre3 ships with an LTE radio. Which sounds unlikely.

-Suntan
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    I like the term "faux G" that I heard on a podcast.

(BTW - can't we find a better term than "podcast"?!)
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    At least in Colombia they're are more honest providers, I have seen a couple of advertisements there that all say "3.5 g". Its either comcel or movistar.