Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree69Likes
    No, they are not multiple sources, they all cite the same source, iSuppli, which is also the same source that says the iPad costs Apple $325. Also no way Apple pays that much.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Touchscreens are a fad
    This is the best sig I've read on this forum. =)
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    No, they are not multiple sources, they all cite the same source, iSuppli, which is also the same source that says the iPad costs Apple $325. Also no way Apple pays that much.
    I looked on google and saw three different estimates. The isupply site does not say if their BOM estimate factors in bulk pricing on components, but I doubt they are too far off the mark based on my experience working as an engineer for a computer manufacturer.
    Quote Originally Posted by marclh1992 View Post
    I agree, push the Pre 3 for all Canada carriers especially Bell! I wouldn't want to have to wait another year to get a new webOS device and waste my upgrade.
    Judging from previous device releases on Rogers in Canada, the device will be an exclusive and be locked. Sorry to burst your bubble.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    UncleKeg likes this.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Any news on when there will be other languages for WebOS? I would like to buy a Touchpad, but I need at least a Traditional and a Simplified IME or, even better, a Chinese interface. HP is not giving out any information on this matter.
    I haven't heard anything from HP about a Chinese version of the TouchPad ever since China awarded the trademark for "TouchPad" to Hanvon in April, well after HP announced plans to sell the TouchPad in China in February. That was a pretty crappy thing to do to HP, so HP might have given up on China. Who knows.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    That would still leave Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Overseas Chinese everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    yes, but remember... When you buy in mass quantity you get discounted rates. So say for the 1st unit "being the prototype" it cost 10k. But for the first 10000 retail units the price to make is 300-400 and for 10k-100k the price per unit is now 150. See where I am going...
    Yep, i see... You are explaining why HP is still paying $400 per Touchpad.
    It's very difficult to accurately predict how much HP is paying for it's components. If they ordered enough supply for 3-4 million units (there were some rumors about that being the number of TouchPads they were going to start with) then they probably got significant discounts on certain components. I do know this, the company I work for (Fortune top 10) has a deal with one of the large retailers on the list to buy the 16GB version for $429 (and we bought one a couple days ago). The 32GB was only $509. So the actual price to HP is definitely going to be under the $400 range. I would say the first lot was probably around $300, but the price is probably dropping down into the $200's if they are selling well (vanishing stock at Amazon and some other places would indicate that they are moving well).

Unless someone actually gets a hold of HP's BOM, this is all just guesswork.
    Quote Originally Posted by PDAGeek View Post
    I was told that the Pre3 will be released tomorrow. I have a resource that specifically worked on the Touchpad project at HP. She is telling me tomorrow is the office launch of the Pre3. I believe it will be AT&T first then Verizon. Unless I mis-understood her.
    Can you touch base with your friend and get a new date
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    sledge007 and Hobbz like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Aren't you supposed to get the Pre 3 ?
    I heard that EDS had a contracts with both Sprint and ATT. Now HP decided to go with ATT only.
    Is it true ?
    EDS provided services to Nextel that were phased out after the merger. Not sure how much business EDS is doing with Sprint.
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schro View Post
    EDS provided services to Nextel that were phased out after the merger. Not sure how much business EDS is doing with Sprint.
    EDS uses Sprint for their staff. Now they are going with ATT.

Back on topic,
    Can someone inside talk to HP about whats going on with Sprint Pre 3 on HP's side ? Last we know from precentral that it was HP that pulled the plug on Sprint.
    fmarcanojr likes this.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234