Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyf View Post
    Honestly, Its 1.4 single core, it always has been. I'm perplexed by how this stupid 1.2 Dual core rumour continues to circulate.

It was a small typo on the HP UK site, it got changed within a few days, but people continue to post news that stems from one or two speculative articles that were written at the time.
    I'm aware of that - just pointing out that they got it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtravel View Post
    I'm aware of that - just pointing out that they got it right.
    D'oh, sorry! Spot the characteristic 'I've spent the week googling "HP pre 3" every hour instead of working' - induced grumpiness

Whenever you google pre 3, you get so many posts and articles speculating whether the delay is dual core related, and ooo wouldn't that be nice - NO! ITS NOT HAPPENING! Someone bring me REAL NEWS!

I need a hobby!
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Honestly, Its 1.4 single core, it always has been. I'm perplexed by how this stupid 1.2 Dual core rumour continues to circulate.

It was a small typo on the HP UK site, it got changed within a few days, but people continue to post news that stems from one or two speculative articles that were written at the time.
    I'm sorry if this has been asked before or if it's just plain stupid; But what are the effects on battery life when it comes to single core vs. dual core? I have come to the understanding (never used one myself) that the previous Pre's GUI is smooth on the existing hardware. I don't care about heavy apps/games, so the primary advantage of a newer CPU would be better battery life. Can someone please clarify this for me?
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by LevSer View Post
    I'm sorry if this has been asked before or if it's just plain stupid; But what are the effects on battery life when it comes to single core vs. dual core? I have come to the understanding (never used one myself) that the previous Pre's GUI is smooth on the existing hardware. I don't care about heavy apps/games, so the primary advantage of a newer CPU would be better battery life. Can someone please clarify this for me?
    Not an easy question to answer as there are too many variable involved. However, in general, multicore processors are more efficient because they use lower speed for the same computing oomph as an equivalent single core processor, which means they generate less wasted heat, a major power drain, and lower voltage, and hence less power consumption.

However, the OS and the programs have to be able to take advantage of the multiple cores, otherwise they will essentially use just one core, in which case the single core optimized processor may in fact be more power efficient for the same task.

So for WebOS2.x, which is very unlikely to have been optimised for multicore processors, the single core processor may be a better choice - for now.

All processors are becoming more power efficient regardless of the number of cores though. And I would always go for the fastest modern processor, because a) modern processors reduce power consumption when they are not being heavily used, and b) you do get extra power when you need it. So the 1.4Ghz processor in Pre3 may in fact be using less power than Pre's 600Mhz processor even when going at full wack, but uses even less power when not in use

Remember though, the above is an over simplification.
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Amohazab View Post
    Not an easy question to answer as there are too many variable involved. However, in general, multicore processors are more efficient because they use lower speed for the same computing oomph as an equivalent single core processor, which means they generate less wasted heat, a major power drain, and lower voltage, and hence less power consumption.

However, the OS and the programs have to be able to take advantage of the multiple cores, otherwise they will essentially use just one core, in which case the single core optimized processor may in fact be more power efficient for the same task.

So for WebOS2.x, which is very unlikely to have been optimised for multicore processors, the single core processor may be a better choice - for now.

All processors are becoming more power efficient regardless of the number of cores though. And I would always go for the fastest modern processor, because a) modern processors reduce power consumption when they are not being heavily used, and b) you do get extra power when you need it. So the 1.4Ghz processor in Pre3 may in fact be using less power than Pre's 600Mhz processor even when going at full wack, but uses even less power when not in use

Remember though, the above is an over simplification.
    webOS is running on the linux kernel, it should be able to use multiple cores by default. There is a reason the touchpad is dual core after all.

There really isn't a good reason why the pre3 shouldn't have the same guts as the touchpad.
    8 GB? My Pre+ and Pre 2 both have 16GB. While the rest of the world moves forward in adding more and more features and higher specifications, HP continues it's consistent endeavour to take everything related to webOS, backwards. Now we are back to where Palm started out almost two & a half years ago.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    8 GB? My Pre+ and Pre 2 both have 16GB. While the rest of the world moves forward in adding more and more features and higher specifications, HP continues it's consistent endeavour to take everything related to webOS, backwards. Now we are back to where Palm started out almost two & a half years ago.
    They already said in Feb there are two versions.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    They already said in Feb there are two versions.
    But everywhere you see now, there is only talk of a 8 GB version. In any case, why have two versions and if they had to have two versions, then wouldn't progress mean, having a 16 GB and a 32 GB version?
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    fmarcanojr and LevSer like this.
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by eallan View Post
    webOS is running on the linux kernel, it should be able to use multiple cores by default. There is a reason the touchpad is dual core after all.

There really isn't a good reason why the pre3 shouldn't have the same guts as the touchpad.
    Android has also run on a Linux core from the outset, but the multicore Android phones did not see any significant speed improvements over the single core phones when they were released. The Linux core ported for the ARM architcture and then applied and compiled again for the WebOS, plus Luna (or the Android equivalent), the app frameworks (Mojo vs Enyo), etc have to be optimised for multi core processors. WebOS3 is largely a re-write of WebOS from scratch.

Unfortunately it is not as simple as slapping on additional cores.
    Last edited by Amohazab; 08/12/2011 at 04:05 PM.
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Android has also run on a Linux core from the outset, but the multicore Android phones did not see any significant speed improvements over the single core phones when they were released. The Linux core ported for the ARM architcture and then applied and compiled again for the WebOS, plus Luna (or the Android equivalent), the app frameworks (Mojo vs Enyo), etc have to be optimised for multi core processors. WebOS3 is largely a re-write of WebOS from scratch.

Unfortunately it is not as simple as slapping on additional cores.
    Going to disagree with you here. There was quite a difference I day to day use.
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by eallan View Post
    Going to disagree with you here. There was quite a difference I day to day use.
    Well, you seem to have first hand experience of this and I don't, so have to give in. But have a look at the links below. There are lots more like them... I also remember there were disappointed reviewers when the first LG (or HTC?) dual core phones came out a little while back.

http://www.tested.com/news/dual-core...-get-you/2337/

My dual-core is better than your single-core, or is it? - Phone Arena
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Well, you seem to have first hand experience of this and I don't, so have to give in. But have a look at the links below. There are lots more like them... I also remember there were disappointed reviewers when the first LG (or HTC?) dual core phones came out a little while back.

Dual-Core vs Single-Core ARM: What Does an Extra Core Really Get You? - Tested

My dual-core is better than your single-core, or is it? - Phone Arena
    Yeah I have and have used quite a few android phones. Currently I have a galaxy s 2 (ridiculously fast) and a thunderbolt (lte is nuts). Granted, there is more of a difference than single versus dual, but my thunderbolt is running at 1.4ghz versus the gs2 and its 1.2ghz dual core. There is no contest in responsiveness.

Even in froyo the os can offload some background tasks while loading up one core.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    But everywhere you see now, there is only talk of a 8 GB version. In any case, why have two versions and if they had to have two versions, then wouldn't progress mean, having a 16 GB and a 32 GB version?
    I wouldn't assume everyone needs/wants more memory, especially if less memory is cheaper. If an enterprise device is provided to an employee at an employer's cost then price will be important.

Personally, I would rather see an sd card option which for whatever the reason (likely the iphone standard) doesn't seem to be in the cards.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Could be good news if the OP is correct and indeed it does come out on o2, although it might mean no special treatment from the network like o2 did at pre launch :P

More carriers can only = a good thing tbh!
    I'm not convinced there is ANY official carrier. Dealers like carphone warehouse and their online mobiles.co.uk often sell carrier contracts, but supplying different phones. For example if you buy an Orange 24 month contract, the price is set to recoup £x phone value. If the phone is worth more, Carphone warehouse charge that as an upfront surplus.

The carriers themselves have not necessarily decided to supply the phone, only the contract. If you go into an orange shop and ask, you'll find that no HP phones are on their 'coming soon' supply list (which plans for the next two months). I don't think the support site tells us much: there are many non-orange phones on the site, and there are some inaccuracies as well: the dual core listing for example.

O2 have already stated that they won't be carrying the pre 3 (I believe they had loads of returns when they experimented with the original Pre, due to bugs and hardware faliure), so (as with the other carriers, I suspect), availability will be down to SIM only release, and relying upon dealerships like Carphone warehouse to have enough faith to offer on contract.

By the looks of things, it doesn't seem to me like you'll be able to go into any carrier store (e.g. 3 store, orange store) and get a pre 3, nor will you be able to upgrade to one necessarily.

Not great outlook, I know, but at least it IS getting released here, so if you want one, you will certainly be able to buy one, on or off contract.

I know this is just my speculation, I'm just saying that there is a difference between the Pre 3 being listed on Mobiles.co.uk, and actually having carriers agreeing to officially supply it.
    I'm not convinced there is ANY official carrier. Dealers like carphone warehouse and their online mobiles.co.uk often sell carrier contracts, but supplying different phones. For example if you buy an Orange 24 month contract, the price is set to recoup £x phone value. If the phone is worth more, Carphone warehouse charge that as an upfront surplus.

The carriers themselves have not necessarily decided to supply the phone, only the contract. If you go into an orange shop and ask, you'll find that no HP phones are on their 'coming soon' supply list (which plans for the next two months). I don't think the support site tells us much: there are many non-orange phones on the site, and there are some inaccuracies as well: the dual core listing for example.

O2 have already stated that they won't be carrying the pre 3 (I believe they had loads of returns when they experimented with the original Pre, due to bugs and hardware faliure), so (as with the other carriers, I suspect), availability will be down to SIM only release, and relying upon dealerships like Carphone warehouse to have enough faith to offer on contract.

By the looks of things, it doesn't seem to me like you'll be able to go into any carrier store (e.g. 3 store, orange store) and get a pre 3, nor will you be able to upgrade to one necessarily.

Not great outlook, I know, but at least it IS getting released here, so if you want one, you will certainly be able to buy one, on or off contract.

I know this is just my speculation, I'm just saying that there is a difference between the Pre 3 being listed on Mobiles.co.uk, and actually having carriers agreeing to officially supply it.
    But I would be surprised if Orange didn't have it. Simply because if they with with HP didn't they wouldn't be able to secure a pre-release manual complete with codenames.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    But I would be surprised if Orange didn't have it. Simply because if they with with HP didn't they wouldn't be able to secure a pre-release manual complete with codenames.
    Thats a good point actually.

Still (and I know its just 'a guy told me'), it apparently isn't on the 'upcoming' list issued to Orange dealerships, which apparently lists all Orange-carried future phone releases in the next two months. Now I don't know whether things can get added to that list inside the two months. Given that none of the online vendors seem to have any clear idea as to the release date, I supposed you wouldn't expect Orange to put it on that list without a clear date, or confirmation of stock delivery.
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I spoke to a mate in the Carphone warehouse this morning and he says it's not on their systems and nobody I know at Orange knows anything about it.

When do they print and release the in-store brochures for September releases? I would think if it's coming out in Sept, it would appear in there?
    Last edited by CGK; 08/15/2011 at 05:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I spoke to a mate in the Carphone warehouse this morning and he says it's not on their systems and nobody I know at Orange knows anything about it.

When do they print and release the in-store brochures for September releases? I would think if it's coming out in Sept, it would appear in there?
    Shame. I had 15th Aug quietly earmarked as 'possible release' although the recent delays (whether Qualcomm, or waiting for app development, or shipping delays as has variously been speculated) mentioned pushed that back to late Aug/ early Sept. I was kinda still hoping there'd be some signage and demo phones in Carphone warehouse today, though.

I agree with your info, though: various people at Bestbuy/carphone warehouse seem to have expectation that it will be arriving, whereas nobody at Orange has the first clue/ has even heard of the phone.

By the way, am I right in thinking that the phones section in Best Buy is just a subsidiary Carphone Warehouse shop?
    Last edited by Andyf; 08/15/2011 at 05:02 AM.
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Just rang Orange Customer service and he said that their system updated this morning and it shows nothing for the next four weeks.

That doesn't mean it couldn't be added but it's not there now.

I agree with your info, though: various people at Bestbuy/carphone warehouse seem to have expectation that it will be arriving, whereas nobody at Orange has the first clue/ has even heard of the phone.
    That's how it appears to me. I'm starting to think that orange have the support page because they expect dealers to be selling this phone on orange contracts not because they plan to sell it themselves (which you yourself suggested I think). The dealers I think are giving dates based on the best information given to them by HP.

bottom-line, I don't think anyone actually has any clue at all!

By the way, am I right in thinking that the phones section in Best Buy is just a subsidiary Carphone Warehouse shop?
    Yes, that's my understanding of the situation.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast