Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 98
Like Tree37Likes
  1.    #1  
    With the iPhone now rumored to be released on 9/5, hopefully HP will be feeling some pressure to get the Pre 3 ready to go.

    Apple iPhone 5 'due on September 5' - Telegraph
  2. #2  
    I can just picture HP sticking their fingers in their ears and singing "la la la la la la"....
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    BobKy, laoh, T3CK and 3 others like this.
  3. Xadion's Avatar
    Posts
    268 Posts
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    #3  
    I was excited when HP bought Palm, as I was a fan of HPs smaller and mobile devices- always nice looking a good quality- remeber their "PalmTops" with windows CE- the HP's where the cadilacs of them little things!

    I honestly do not see how its taken now over a year for them to incorporate WebOS into their machine of turning out product after product?

    If the iPhone anything is even within a month of the Pre3 it just has too much stacked in opposition for it to be a success to anyone but the crowed that is already WebOS loyal.

    I will still be very excited to get a Pre3 - and will be even more excited if HP somehow pulls their head out of the sand and does something to make the Pre3/4 a LTE phone.
  4. Targon's Avatar
    Posts
    502 Posts
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by xadion View Post
    I was excited when HP bought Palm, as I was a fan of HPs smaller and mobile devices- always nice looking a good quality- remeber their "PalmTops" with windows CE- the HP's where the cadilacs of them little things!

    I honestly do not see how its taken now over a year for them to incorporate WebOS into their machine of turning out product after product?

    If the iPhone anything is even within a month of the Pre3 it just has too much stacked in opposition for it to be a success to anyone but the crowed that is already WebOS loyal.

    I will still be very excited to get a Pre3 - and will be even more excited if HP somehow pulls their head out of the sand and does something to make the Pre3/4 a LTE phone.
    Would it really have been so horrible for them to just release the Pre 3 with WebOS 2.1 on it back in February/March? Honestly, the Touchpad really was going to be months away at that point, so why was the Pre 3 delayed for so long when the Touchpad, even at best, would be a niche device? What's worse is that HP has not mentioned the Pre 3 in ages, which is even more disturbing than the wait.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    Would it really have been so horrible for them to just release the Pre 3 with WebOS 2.1 on it back in February/March? Honestly, the Touchpad really was going to be months away at that point, so why was the Pre 3 delayed for so long when the Touchpad, even at best, would be a niche device? What's worse is that HP has not mentioned the Pre 3 in ages, which is even more disturbing than the wait.
    If you're Apple, you can get away with not officially releasing information b/c there's a legion of people digging out information on their own that you get enough publicity. HP doesn't have that luxury. They made a small splash with the Pre 3 announcement but it's totally dead now. They'll doom themselves by releasing it too close to the iPhone launch. If you launch just before, nobody will be buying b/c all the hype will be on iPhone. If you release shortly after, many potential buyers will have already bought an iPhone. Yes, the ideal time to release this phone was months ago.
    jimijames, tayswg20 and LevSer like this.
  6.    #6  
    The simple reality is that with each passing day, the odds of a DOA release for the Pre 3 grow exponentially. With how fast Android and iOS are moving forward, I really just don't think WebOS will get yet another do-over. The Pre 3 really has to excel and blow some people away. If they wait this long to release a device that's only almost as good as the iPhone or Android in some ways, then it simply won't generate interest. That lack of interest combined with HP's initial indifference to making cell phones will likely signal the end of WebOS on smartphones. There are only two possibilities for hope at this point:

    1. The Pre 3 is delayed b/c HP is doing something REALLY cool with it (extremely, extremely, extremely unlikely)

    2. Licensing WebOS to Samsung or some other smartphone maker that actually knows how to make and release a cell phone (this is more likely than #1, but if the Pre 3 has an uninspiring launch, who would actually want to invest in making WebOS devices)

    If one of these two doesn't take place, then get your hands on a Pre 3 b/c it'll be the last WebOS smartphone ever made. Guaranteed.
  7. #7  
    It aint coming.
    bignoze and SmartFah like this.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    If you're Apple, you can get away with not officially releasing information b/c there's a legion of people digging out information on their own that you get enough publicity. HP doesn't have that luxury. They made a small splash with the Pre 3 announcement but it's totally dead now. They'll doom themselves by releasing it too close to the iPhone launch. If you launch just before, nobody will be buying b/c all the hype will be on iPhone. If you release shortly after, many potential buyers will have already bought an iPhone. Yes, the ideal time to release this phone was months ago.
    The ideal time was probably june, when the iphone didn't ship, it left people wanting. I don't think apple gets away with anything in regards to announcing a phone, most manufacturers don't announce a phone 6 months out. It's usually 2 months the MOST (sometimes 3). More than that at it's just plain silly.

    infact they should have launched the pre3 (even if they had to launch a gsm unlocked version) with the touchpad, touch to share feature would have driven sales for both devices.
    Last edited by ljbad4life; 07/26/2011 at 01:24 PM.
    retroblu likes this.
  9. #9  
    I'm beginning to think that the original gossip was true... HP will let the phone stuff slip away and focus elsewhere, particularly if the TP doesn't sell well by the end of the year.
  10.    #10  
    This is all causing me to think long and hard about whether or not I really want to get the Pre 3. I've been planning on using my December upgrade on the Pre 3 the day I'm eligible, but if it really does look like HP is going to let their smartphone interests fizzle out, I'm not really inclined to buy into a dying technology. It's unfortunate b/c I love WebOS, but I don't love it enough to be stuck for 2 years with a dead OS with no development or support.

    It seems that WebOS lovers want it to succeed more than HP does. But, if/when it dies, WebOS will simply join a long list of good technologies that never caught on.
  11. #11  
    Am I nuts or did you face the exact same dilemma over the Pre 2?
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Am I nuts or did you face the exact same dilemma over the Pre 2?
    Me specifically?
  13. lactose's Avatar
    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    480 Global Posts
    #13  
    I can look over the long wait as long as the Pre 3 is solid. I mean solid software and hardware. There will be NO excuse for less than reliable hardware, given the previous Pre hardware issues, which are very well known. They have to know how critical it is to get his right, spending whatever is needed on the design and testing. Otherwise they deserve to go down in flames on this product.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Me specifically?
    You specifically. I could swear you were agonizing over the Pre 2's release date and trying to figure out how (or if) it coincides with your upgrade eligibility.
  15. #15  
    I'm seriously starting to wonder if Pre3 is about to filed under "Vaporware"...
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    You specifically. I could swear you were agonizing over the Pre 2's release date and trying to figure out how (or if) it coincides with your upgrade eligibility.
    Ahhh...you're kind of right. Due to the abysmal GPS on the Pre Plus, VZW agreed to let me trade the device out for anything I wanted. The initital time frame they gave me for the trade lined up with what was originally speculated for the Pre 2's release, which means I would get a free Pre 2. But, yes, I did begin to agonize when the Pre 2 was delayed for months and months and I was afraid I'd miss out.. It all turned out ok though b/c VZW still let me trade it out for free.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by lactose View Post
    I can look over the long wait as long as the Pre 3 is solid. I mean solid software and hardware. There will be NO excuse for less than reliable hardware, given the previous Pre hardware issues, which are very well known. They have to know how critical it is to get his right, spending whatever is needed on the design and testing. Otherwise they deserve to go down in flames on this product.
    The problem is that they've waited too long to release a device with the specs they announced. Even if they release a top flight device with the exact specs they announced months ago, the reality is that it will get eclipsed by the new iPhone and the onslaught of Android phones being released for the holidays. The Pre 3 could very well have been competitive if it were released a couple months ago. Even when the Pre 3 was announced, there were certain areas it lagged when compared to Android or iOS.
  18. #18  
    At this point the Pre3 needs to offer something more than just a larger Pre form factor and faster processor to keep many people's (including mine) interest. Apple is incorporating a number of features that start to diminish the huge feature set lead that webOS had when launched over two years ago. They are also innovating with camera features, voice recognition, and many other features that push the phone as a your communication hub even further. webOS is an awesome OS that has been so badly underutilized and supported it makes me ill.

    I continue to show others how the multi-tasking and synergy works, and they are blown away, but I still cannot recommend any current webOS phones to them in face of the competition.
  19. lactose's Avatar
    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    480 Global Posts
    #19  
    I don't feel that the Pre 3 needs to be an iPhone and more. If it only has a bigger screen, working GPS and Facebook client and keyboard, I will be very happy.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by lactose View Post
    I don't feel that the Pre 3 needs to be an iPhone and more. If it only has a bigger screen, working GPS and Facebook client and keyboard, I will be very happy.
    As would I, but WebOS won't survive by just making WebOS lovers happy. It'll have to appeal to the masses.
    retroblu likes this.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions