Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree37Likes
    Any hope of t-mo (US) getting pre3? refer: http://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/news/2011/07/hp_pre_3_uk_preorders_start/
    T real
    once the at&t completed the acquisition, you bet!
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    I have acknowledged in other posts that I'm sure the Pre 3 will do well in the WebOS community, but that's not enough for the Pre 3 or WebOS to succeed. Heck, I plan to upgrade to it myself in December. However, even many WebOS users have tired of waiting around and have defected. HP needed to get this phone out and into the hands of lots of new people. With all the new Android phones about to be released and the iPhone 5 as well, that simply isn't going to happen at this point. Heaven forbid the iPhone 5 release before the Pre 3, then HP shouldn't even bother. You can mark my words here and now, HP has waited to long to release this phone and the Pre 3 will simply not be a factor when they finally do release it.
    Here's the simple point in a nutshell, since way too many people don't seem to get it here. If I take 100 people to a place to get a cell phone, and this place has 100 different phones, you will likely see at least 20-30 different phones get purchased, even if the iPhone 5 was amongst them. The whole deal is simple: people have different needs and tastes. As long as the user experience is what THAT person is looking for, then they will buy that phone. HP needs to simply make sure the Pre 3 fits the user experience needs of enough people and market it enough that these people will know it, and subsequently buy it. The iPhone experience does NOT do it for me, nor many millions of others. Neither does Android. Or BB. Or Symbian. Or Windows 7. WebOS, no matter what, will also never be THE system that everyone has. There will always me many options out there.

The Pre 2 I just got is excellent. Once Verizon finally pushes the d**n 2.1 update out, it will be pretty much all I could need. Fast, efficient, powerful, fitting MY needs. All of this doom and gloom is useless. Specs will only matter to a portion of smartphone users, ever. Period. Nothing said here will change that fact. Yes, it would have been better for HP to have gotten this phone out 3 or 4 months ago. But, in the end, if HP markets it well, they will sell plenty. Just sell enough phones and pads to be relevant. That's all we need. We don't need to be number 1, even though that would be great.
    purplepansy and hparsons like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    once the at&t completed the acquisition, you bet!
    Your handle refers why we left AT&t for Tmo using essentially the same services; that is why I hope that the merger does NOT happen, and, that possibly webOS might appear on more carriers. [HP Pre 3 UK preorders start with Orange and T-Mobile - uSwitch.com ]
    T real
    Wow I was an original pre owner for 2 years,, when my phone crapped out I had to have something, My contract was up for renewal so I went with a Goggle Nexus S 4g.... That was 3 months ago and I haven't visited this board since then.. I come back and it seems nothing has changed except that Sprint who I decided to stay with still has the best deal going since they are still unlimited everything.. I really feel for the many of you are still holding out hope for the Pre 3... But at this present time I am glad I moved on... good luck....
    Simular story here. On Tmo G2, like webOS, but seeing that everyone is stepping up their game.
    T real
    Complete w/ Web OS2, or some version of it.

It looks incredibly like a larger version of my phone. & the ads say you can use the tablet to take calls.

OK so doesn't this mrean that the phone version will survive?

If so then where is the Pre3 gonna land?

I so Need a new phone.

Has anyone heard anything yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    I didn't take it out of context at all. His original post consisted of 3 statements: "Specs don't matter. If you think they do matter then you're setting up to fail. User experience matters." I did acknowledge that he said user experience matters (in the final sentence of my first response post), but he also said that "specs don't matter" and I addressed that as well. Please explain what I took out of context. Do you understand what it means to take something out of context? It's simply an indefensible statement to say that specs don't matter (for ANYTHING...smartphones included). It would be analogous to saying "People don't care about the engine in their car as long it runs well, gets good gas mileage and is reliable (i.e. as long as they have a good user experience)." The fact that they care about those things means they care about the engine...whether they are thinking about the engine or not. Heck, the specs of the desk I'm sitting at and the chair I'm sitting dictate my user experience with these items. No, the average smartphone user may not care too much about the "guts" of the phone, but they care a whole lot about how the phone operates and that is absolutely dictated by the "guts". You simply can not divorce the specs of an electronic device from how that device operates. EVERYTHING a phone can do is enabled in some way or another by "what's under the hood".
    Pre3 has good enough "power under the hood." A lot of ppl drive camrys, accords and altimas, they're not always looking for the fastest car.

Specs to a point matter but its the user experience that leaves an impression.

Thanks @Hparson

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    All New Everything | webOS Enthusiast | Lakers | Manchester United | Cardinals | J. Cole | Wale - Athlete Mentality, Forget The Competition

Follow at @kingnoso11
    the Pre3 is supposed to arrive before the end of summer.
    it is starting to show up on carrier sites:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...-1-2-days.html
    thats great, next stop...u.s.a
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    For the people who say that the Pre 3 will be fast enough(which I agree with), the PRICE needs to be competitive with the performance/specs. If a dual-core 1.5GHz device is out and costs $200 with contract, why would you pay $200 with contract for a single-core 1.4GHz phone for example. This is why the Pre Plus had its price cut so quickly, because once the iPhone 4 came out at 1GHz, a phone that comes with a stock 500MHz speed was NOT going to sell for the same price.

This is also why HP announcing the product in February and releasing in August is so bad, because in February, it WAS a phone that would compete at the top end of the market for specs, but now, it has slid a bit toward the middle. With the release in Europe, we should see carrier announcements here, and if we don't, that may mean a September launch...vs. the iPhone 5 which will probably have higher specs...will the Pre 3 cost as much?
    You know guys the more I look at the market the more I am convince that for WEBOS to compete HP must release the OS to the HTC's of the world.

Boy there are out there some very impressive hardware....very impressive...
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tungsten C View Post
    You know guys the more I look at the market the more I am convince that for WEBOS to compete HP must release the OS to the HTC's of the world.

Boy there are out there some very impressive hardware....very impressive...
    The problem is that Palm and now HP set up to release impressive hardware, but take so long to release a product, it loses its edge. HP could easily have set up to build the Pre 3 in all ways, but left the CPU off, or put the CPU on a board that could be swapped easily. This would allow device upgrades for existing products the same way you can for computers, and would keep products from getting outdated between the design and the build phase.
    You can have quad core cpu and unoptimized OS will kill performance. You can have 4 gigs of ram and unoptimized apps will eat it. You can have 4" display and visually unatractive apps would be just more ugly. HP must reimagine webOS on all levels. WebOS is not attractive to broad consumer base at any level.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    You can have quad core cpu and unoptimized OS will kill performance. You can have 4 gigs of ram and unoptimized apps will eat it. You can have 4" display and visually unatractive apps would be just more ugly. HP must reimagine webOS on all levels. WebOS is not attractive to broad consumer base at any level.
    I think with the hardware available out there itís a hard sell. I really think that the hardware is the limiting factors here not the software.
    If I could purchase say a Motorola's photon in a WEBOS platform, it will be a no brainer (to me). I think WEBOS lovers (Like ME) are focus on the PRE3 because that is our way to identify with WEBOS. But if HP was to concentrate in getting the WEBOS out by letting other manufactures that already have the cloud and costumer ok to push the WEBOS. Once the WEBOS is out in some significant numbers it will be easier to make it more main stream.
    If a WEBOS lover had to choose a PRe3 and Photon for basically the same price and both running WEBOS. I will purchase the Photon in two seconds flat even without a keyboard.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    That is such a misleading statement that I HAVE to respond to it. When you have a CPU design, even with the same instruction set, there will be compiler optimizations that will fine-tune the resulting executable to run better. Now, going from single to dual to quad core processors has nothing to do with the optimized vs. unoptimized resulting code if the CPU core design is the same. If the OS itself knows how to properly distribute the different program threads between the cores, you WILL see an advantage.

When it comes to code, you do need to have a multi-threaded design in order for the OS to spread the threads between processor cores, but as long as the OS itself can handle it, even single threaded applications will be distributed between the processor cores to provide SOME improvements all around.

As far as the amount of RAM, the key is if the OS can properly map the amount of memory plus some for virtual memory, in short, people WANT 64 bit processors so 4GB or more of RAM is properly used. 32 bit operating systems are limited to 4GB per process. With 512MB of RAM, I don't see 64 bit being REQUIRED, but for future compatibility, it is best to start with 64 bit and go from there.
    So, what was misleading in my post? You just elaborated my statement - if not optimized, OS would get just minor performance push, KILLING real CPU power.
    When talking about RAM, if OS does not handle it properly, you can even get performance decrease. And, if apps are not written properly, memory leaks can flood whatever amount of RAM.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345