Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    That's the silliest thing I've ever heard in my life. We all know that cell phone makers are scrambling to release slower phones with poorer resolution and fewer GB. Oh wait...you mean they try to make faster and faster phones with higher and higher resolution? Of course specs matter. They matter A LOT. Are they the ONLY thing that matters? No. But they matter a lot. Specs have a whole lot to do with user experience.
    Actually, it's not silly at all.

Find 12 folks out on the street. Ask them the specs of their phones. I'd bet 10 out of the 12 wouldn't be able to tell you:

• The CPU
    • The speed of the CPU
    • The amount of memory
    • The resolution of the screen

I hope you see my point. People want to know what it does, not what's under the hood.
    Last edited by hparsons; 07/27/2011 at 03:37 PM.
    Cyberiian likes this.
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post

Find 12 folks out on the street. Ask them the specs of their phones. I'd bet 10 out of 10 wouldn't be able to tell you:

• The CPU
    • The speed of the CPU
    • The amount of memory

I hope you see my point. People want to know what it does, not what's under the hood.
    What a phone is a capable of doing is largely enabled or limited by the specs.

I'm not suggesting that the average person is going to compare spec sheets from an iPhone 5 and a Pre 3 and make their decision based only on that information. But they may very well compare the phones side-by-side and see that the iPhone is faster, has better resolution, etc. And their observations would be directly linked to the specs of the devices.
    Tikkanen and Sim_1 like this.
    What a phone is a capable of doing is largely enabled or limited by the specs.

I'm not suggesting that the average person is going to compare spec sheets from an iPhone 5 and a Pre 3 and make their decision based only on that information. But they may very well compare the phones side-by-side and see that the iPhone is faster, has better resolution, etc. And their observations would be directly linked to the specs of the devices.
    See, I agree. So, why did you call the guy's post "silly". Did you read what he said? (Let me highlight the pertinent part for you):
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    Specs don't matter. If you think they do matter then you're setting up to fail. User experience matters.
    I'll also point out one of the qualifiers on your statement - you said "largely". Correct.

But raw speed is not the all there is. Neither is screen size. Both of those things, and the OS, the CPU, the GPU, the quality of the speakers, the form of the device, and the list goes on - All of those things contribute to the user experience.

That was the point of the post that you called "silly".

I'll also mention, the "eco-system" is also part of that user experience. I'll even grant you that the app catalog is. Actually, everything on the phone is part of that.

So, the point of his "silly" post was that it's not the specs that matter. If someone could make a phone with lesser specs than the competition, but gave the end user the experience he/she wanted, it would sell (that was proven with the iPhone).

Will the Pre3 have the user experience needed to sell when it's release? I don't know for sure, but I suspect it will sell.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    I guess I'm a bit lost. What delay? When they announced the product, they said summer (much to the chagrin of many, including myself). It's due to be released in about two weeks. Looks like they hit it pretty close.

Now, that's not released here, but it's a pretty safe assumption that:

1) It's because negotiations with carriers is ongoing (not as big a problem in other countries)
    2) It's going to happen
    If they were able to show off the phone in public back in February, then waiting SIX MONTHS from showing the device to when it gets released seems like a delay. Yes, summer for release....the Veer shows up at the same time and was out the door much sooner than the Pre 3. That seems like a delay to me, because why show a device when it's not ready, unless you want to tip your hand for the competition?
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    If they were able to show off the phone in public back in February, then waiting SIX MONTHS from showing the device to when it gets released seems like a delay. Yes, summer for release....the Veer shows up at the same time and was out the door much sooner than the Pre 3. That seems like a delay to me, because why show a device when it's not ready, unless you want to tip your hand for the competition?
    Sorry if it "seems" like a delay, but they're releasing it in the time frame they announced. That's not a delay. It may make some impatient people unhappy, but it's not a delay.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I can just picture HP sticking their fingers in their ears and singing "la la la la la la"....
    I wouldn't be surprised, that's exactly what they did with sprint and the Pre3.
  7. AZ8
    Quote Originally Posted by hsukirk View Post
    Reading this worries me considering several die-hard fans were already switched to other platforms.

I was with WP7 for a while before back to Pre2 but I have a feeling I might be switching to WP7 with their Mango release if Pre3 is nowhere to be seen by then.
    WP7 with Mango is sick!! I have a feeling WP7 phones w/Mango will make a strong push. First Mango phones were just introduced in Japan. And they're looking good!
    gmlongo and threed61#WN like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by w2wpaul View Post
    I'm seriously starting to wonder if Pre3 is about to filed under "Vaporware"...
    i agree.

Find 12 folks out on the street. Ask them the specs of their phones. I'd bet 10 out of the 12 wouldn't be able to tell you:

• The CPU
    • The speed of the CPU
    • The amount of memory

you would be surprised how many people know what they want and what their specs are. you must of never owned a android device or visited xda.
    Sorry if it "seems" like a delay, but they're releasing it in the time frame they announced. That's not a delay. It may make some impatient people unhappy, but it's not a delay.
    What indications do you have that HP is releasing Pre3 in time frame? Some official announcements on their website or by their business partners? Interviews with HP officials discussing Pre3 performance? Tide of pre3 pre release reviews?
    HP was talking in riddles about Pre3 from the start, always keeping Veer and TP in spotlight.
  11.    #71  
    See, I agree. So, why did you call the guy's post "silly". Did you read what he said? (Let me highlight the pertinent part for you):

I'll also point out one of the qualifiers on your statement - you said "largely". Correct.

But raw speed is not the all there is. Neither is screen size. Both of those things, and the OS, the CPU, the GPU, the quality of the speakers, the form of the device, and the list goes on - All of those things contribute to the user experience.

That was the point of the post that you called "silly".

I'll also mention, the "eco-system" is also part of that user experience. I'll even grant you that the app catalog is. Actually, everything on the phone is part of that.

So, the point of his "silly" post was that it's not the specs that matter. If someone could make a phone with lesser specs than the competition, but gave the end user the experience he/she wanted, it would sell (that was proven with the iPhone).

Will the Pre3 have the user experience needed to sell when it's release? I don't know for sure, but I suspect it will sell.
    I never implied or suggested that specs were the only thing that matters. I was only addressing the specs aspect b/c that's all we have to look at at the moment. Specs make up a HUGE part of what constitutes the overall user experience. To say that they don't matter is just nonsense. So, yes, it is silly to say specs don't matter. They matter a lot. Several of the items you list that contribute to the user experience are "specs", so clearly they do matter...at least to you.
  12.    #72  
    We can argue semantics all we want. Fact is, HP is releasing this phone waaaaaaaaaay too late to make anyone care about it. All that's on anyone's mind at this point...and for the next couple of months or so...is the iPhone 5.
    The fact is that phones have already started hitting a performance wall, in as much as most are already fast enough. Now they are trying to throw gimmicks, like 3D, to try and get people to continue to upgrade their phones. This is why specs aren't going to really matter. As long as the phone does what 90% of people need, and the user experience is strong (as webOS generally is when someone is shown it) then the phone will be fine.

Really, are you folks going to look at your perfectly good 1.2GHz dual core Droids in disgust when the quad cores come out? Oh look...I'm converting H.264 MP4's on my phone!! Yeah!! Phones really don't have anything compelling that requires that kind of horsepower. Once webOS is fully accelerated, all of the current hardware will be more than enough...just need to iron out bugs and performance issues on certain apps. If HP can get the software straightened out, the experience will be there and many people will buy into because of personal likes. Just like many have no desire for Apple, while others die for it. Not everyone wants what you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    What indications do you have that HP is releasing Pre3 in time frame? Some official announcements on their website or by their business partners? Interviews with HP officials discussing Pre3 performance? Tide of pre3 pre release reviews?
    HP was talking in riddles about Pre3 from the start, always keeping Veer and TP in spotlight.
    You mean you're not aware that it's being released in Europe? Seriously?
    TopTongueBarry likes this.
    We can argue semantics all we want. Fact is, HP is releasing this phone waaaaaaaaaay too late to make anyone care about it. All that's on anyone's mind at this point...and for the next couple of months or so...is the iPhone 5.
    Sorry, that's just factually incorrect. Don't let your personal disappointment blind you to the facts. There are those that care about the device, and those that will buy it.
    VCI_Cell likes this.
    I never implied or suggested that specs were the only thing that matters. I was only addressing the specs aspect b/c that's all we have to look at at the moment. Specs make up a HUGE part of what constitutes the overall user experience. To say that they don't matter is just nonsense. So, yes, it is silly to say specs don't matter. They matter a lot. Several of the items you list that contribute to the user experience are "specs", so clearly they do matter...at least to you.
    The problem is you took part of his post out of context, and pretended that was all he said. It wasn't. His post wasn't "silly" the convoluted misrepresentation of it was. His point was that it'snthe user experience that matters.

He's correct.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Not to mention the number of apps available in the app stores.

Oh, and the fact that for most of us in Europe the Pre Market isn't even open (I remember when someone at HP promised it would have been by the beginning of this year).
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Specs matter when review sites give poor scores for non-cutting edge phones. A low score from Engadget (for example) will effect sales.
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
  19.    #79  
    The problem is you took part of his post out of context, and pretended that was all he said. It wasn't. His post wasn't "silly" the convoluted misrepresentation of it was. His point was that it'snthe user experience that matters.

He's correct.
    I didn't take it out of context at all. His original post consisted of 3 statements: "Specs don't matter. If you think they do matter then you're setting up to fail. User experience matters." I did acknowledge that he said user experience matters (in the final sentence of my first response post), but he also said that "specs don't matter" and I addressed that as well. Please explain what I took out of context. Do you understand what it means to take something out of context? It's simply an indefensible statement to say that specs don't matter (for ANYTHING...smartphones included). It would be analogous to saying "People don't care about the engine in their car as long it runs well, gets good gas mileage and is reliable (i.e. as long as they have a good user experience)." The fact that they care about those things means they care about the engine...whether they are thinking about the engine or not. Heck, the specs of the desk I'm sitting at and the chair I'm sitting dictate my user experience with these items. No, the average smartphone user may not care too much about the "guts" of the phone, but they care a whole lot about how the phone operates and that is absolutely dictated by the "guts". You simply can not divorce the specs of an electronic device from how that device operates. EVERYTHING a phone can do is enabled in some way or another by "what's under the hood".
  20.    #80  
    Sorry, that's just factually incorrect. Don't let your personal disappointment blind you to the facts. There are those that care about the device, and those that will buy it.
    I have acknowledged in other posts that I'm sure the Pre 3 will do well in the WebOS community, but that's not enough for the Pre 3 or WebOS to succeed. Heck, I plan to upgrade to it myself in December. However, even many WebOS users have tired of waiting around and have defected. HP needed to get this phone out and into the hands of lots of new people. With all the new Android phones about to be released and the iPhone 5 as well, that simply isn't going to happen at this point. Heaven forbid the iPhone 5 release before the Pre 3, then HP shouldn't even bother. You can mark my words here and now, HP has waited to long to release this phone and the Pre 3 will simply not be a factor when they finally do release it.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast