Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by threed61 View Post
    Mark Hurd was also the guy who let slip that HP didn't buy Palm to make smartphones. Don't bet that we'll even see the Pre 3. I think they do want to make tabs and netbooks.
    i bet the Pre3 arrives, and I bet I buy one.
    BlueTuna likes this.
    Unfortunately HP lost the best advantage they would've had if they launched the Pre 3 in June or July; which is not competing with the newest iPhone. Even if the pre 3 launches in the next few weeks, once Apple makes their iPhone announcement next month it will be hard for the Pre 3 to standout. Everyone will be talking about the new iPhone, even camping out days in advance to get one.

HP missed a great opportunity to get the Pre 3 to market before the new iPhone. Oh well, hopefully they learn from this one.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Seems to me that the Touchpad had the same sort of negative vibe prior to release, it was taking too long, they should release it right now with whatever they've got ready. When it got released when it was a couple of weeks shy of an update. It got trashed in the reviews for the fact that the software wasn't ready. (Where's the document editting, Kindle and Movies aren't ready, why did they release it before the rest of the software was ready etc..). I'm sold on the operating system, so waiting for the software and the companion phone isn't much of a problem. But I'm boring, no new phone for 4 years same old car etc.....Still I think the Pre 3 operating system makes it better than the others, as long as the applications I need become available I'll wait. What is needed is a compelling user experience and advertising to show it off so more people get Web OS and developers become motivated to bring the apps.
    Casio BOSS->Palm Pilot Professional->Palm M500->Treo 600-> Treo 680->Treo Pro (TP) ->HP Veer<->HP TP<->Pre3<–>HP TP 4G
    Conn 6H-> Bach 36->Bach 16L (high Bb plays really flat?(fixed thanks to **** Akright))-> New York Bach 6viii
    Scalpel->Scope->Aesop->Hermes->Sidne->Davinci S–>Davinci Si
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    This is all causing me to think long and hard about whether or not I really want to get the Pre 3. I've been planning on using my December upgrade on the Pre 3 the day I'm eligible, but if it really does look like HP is going to let their smartphone interests fizzle out, I'm not really inclined to buy into a dying technology. It's unfortunate b/c I love WebOS, but I don't love it enough to be stuck for 2 years with a dead OS with no development or support.

It seems that WebOS lovers want it to succeed more than HP does. But, if/when it dies, WebOS will simply join a long list of good technologies that never caught on.
    You lost me on this. You're bothered that a one is not out in July, that you hope to buy in December? Seriously?

The Pre3 is coming. HP's been a little busy with another product line, but it's coming.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You lost me on this. You're bothered that a one is not out in July, that you hope to buy in December? Seriously?

The Pre3 is coming. HP's been a little busy with another product line, but it's coming.
    HP is a big enough company where they can handle the release of multiple products at the same time, and "being busy" should not have stopped them from informing the community(that they DO know is here) what is causing the delay.
    Tikkanen likes this.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    The lukewarm Touchpad launch with unoptimised software and the continual shipping slips made me decide the pre 3 was not for me. Who knows that it won't be like the + and fall from support in 6 months to a year anyway.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatila View Post
    The lukewarm Touchpad launch with unoptimised software and the continual shipping slips made me decide the pre 3 was not for me. Who knows that it won't be like the + and fall from support in 6 months to a year anyway.
    Tablet sales are generally an extension from the cell phone base. People like the small screen for their phone, then they find the software on their phone is very useful, and want to EXTEND that to a tablet. This is where we have a problem, because HP launched the tablet, and didn't have the new and competitive phone available. HP could have offered a package deal, buy the Touchpad and get a free Pre 3 with two year contract, or buy the Pre 3 and with a special app on the Pre 3 it gives you a bar code for half-price on the Touchpad(16 or 32GB versions). You would have a lot of sales for these sorts of deals with Touch to Share.
  9.    #49  

No, you missed the point. I'm bothered by the delayed release, not b/c of my timeframe for getting a new phone, but b/c the longer HP waits, the Pre 3's chances of success grow slimmer and slimmer. The Pre 3's specs were competitive...at the time the device was announced. Unfortunately, that's been the better part of 6 months ago. Other phones that will release before the Pre 3 or shortly after will be easily exceed it in the specs department. Frankly, HP has set the Pre 3 up to fail.
    theyd better announce or betterr yet release before iphone 5
    It’s not just the hardware specs but the software capabilities too.

The Pre could do things that other phones couldn’t. The Pre3 doesn’t really have much that stands out (TTS doesn’t really count in my book.)

I got tired of waiting this cycle so I went with a Droid 3. I kept hearing all these things that webOS still does that other phones can’t (multi tasking, notifications, etc. etc.) only to find out that for the most part Android does them equal or better than WebOS. Supposedly iOS5 will bring a number of these features to iphone too.

My intention was to possibly come back to a WebOS phone the next cycle around. Unfortunately, I seriously question if there will still be WebOS phones on the market at that time. (On the positive side of that, the other options are perfectly good alternatives.)

-Suntan
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    It’s not just the hardware specs but the software capabilities too.

The Pre could do things that other phones couldn’t. The Pre3 doesn’t really have much that stands out (TTS doesn’t really count in my book.)

I got tired of waiting this cycle so I went with a Droid 3. I kept hearing all these things that webOS still does that other phones can’t (multi tasking, notifications, etc. etc.) only to find out that for the most part Android does them equal or better than WebOS. Supposedly iOS5 will bring a number of these features to iphone too.

My intention was to possibly come back to a WebOS phone the next cycle around. Unfortunately, I seriously question if there will still be WebOS phones on the market at that time. (On the positive side of that, the other options are perfectly good alternatives.)

-Suntan
    I also wonder what the long-term reality of WebOS phones is. Obviously, all of us around here WANT to see WebOS emerge at the top, but HP simply doesn't seem all that committed to it. They said as much at the outset after their acquisition, and only slightly backed off those comments after outrage from the WebOS community. The total disregard with which they are treating the Pre 3 seems to tip their hand that mobile phones aren't their real interest. I believe they see it as an absolute dog fight just to get into 3rd place and feel like it may not really be worth their efforts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    HP is a big enough company where they can handle the release of multiple products at the same time, and "being busy" should not have stopped them from informing the community(that they DO know is here) what is causing the delay.
    I guess I'm a bit lost. What delay? When they announced the product, they said summer (much to the chagrin of many, including myself). It's due to be released in about two weeks. Looks like they hit it pretty close.

Now, that's not released here, but it's a pretty safe assumption that:

1) It's because negotiations with carriers is ongoing (not as big a problem in other countries)
    2) It's going to happen
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Reading this worries me considering several die-hard fans were already switched to other platforms.

I was with WP7 for a while before back to Pre2 but I have a feeling I might be switching to WP7 with their Mango release if Pre3 is nowhere to be seen by then.
    No, you missed the point. I'm bothered by the delayed release, not b/c of my timeframe for getting a new phone, but b/c the longer HP waits, the Pre 3's chances of success grow slimmer and slimmer. The Pre 3's specs were competitive...at the time the device was announced. Unfortunately, that's been the better part of 6 months ago. Other phones that will release before the Pre 3 or shortly after will be easily exceed it in the specs department. Frankly, HP has set the Pre 3 up to fail.
    As I said in my previous post - what delay. They're pretty much following the timeline they stated when the product was announced.

As far as the competitiveness of the specs, whether they release it today or in four more months; you would still be in the same boat - looking at buying a product in December whose specs were announced in February (I think that's when it was...)

For all we know, there will be other phones available in December.

From the tone of the thread, it really sounds like you're more concerned that this "delay" (which doesn't exist) is some ominous indicator that webOS on phones is going away.

It's not.
  16.    #56  
    As I said in my previous post - what delay. They're pretty much following the timeline they stated when the product was announced.

As far as the competitiveness of the specs, whether they release it today or in four more months; you would still be in the same boat - looking at buying a product in December whose specs were announced in February (I think that's when it was...)

For all we know, there will be other phones available in December.

From the tone of the thread, it really sounds like you're more concerned that this "delay" (which doesn't exist) is some ominous indicator that webOS on phones is going away.

It's not.
    I hope you're right, but it really doesn't look that way at this point. And, yes, I do know that there is no real delay as it's still summer. Technically, they have until September to release it and still be in summer. But HP isn't going to win the cell phone battle on semantics. When it's been around 6 months since they announced this device, and knowing that they'll be going up against superior phones in the late summer and early fall and on into the holidays, HP missed their best window for releasing the Pre 3.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Hparsons you think the pre3 has a chance against the iphone 5. Even if the iphone is released on both sprint and tmobile. Also rim has less workers than hp and will be pushing out 7, yes 7, phones later this year. Sorry but no excuses for HP at this stage of the game.
    Tikkanen likes this.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Specs don't matter. If you think they do matter then you're setting up to fail. User experience matters.
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    Specs don't matter. If you think they do matter then you're setting up to fail. User experience matters.
    That's the silliest thing I've ever heard in my life. We all know that cell phone makers are scrambling to release slower phones with poorer resolution and fewer GB. Oh wait...you mean they try to make faster and faster phones with higher and higher resolution? Of course specs matter. They matter A LOT. Are they the ONLY thing that matters? No. But they matter a lot. Specs have a whole lot to do with user experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe2gg View Post
    Hparsons you think the pre3 has a chance against the iphone 5. Even if the iphone is released on both sprint and tmobile. Also rim has less workers than hp and will be pushing out 7, yes 7, phones later this year. Sorry but no excuses for HP at this stage of the game.
    I'm not sure what you mean "has a chance". Do I think it's going to outsell the iPhone 5? No.

Do I think it needs to outsell the iPhone 5? Same answer. No.

Do I think it's going to share the market? Absolutely.

Do I think that it just one of several phones that HP is going to offer? Most likely.

Do I think it's going to be part of an eco-system that is going to rival Apples (note, not outsell - rival). YouBetterBelieveIt!

As far as "excuses"; I haven't made any. What exactly do they need to excuse? The reasoning for releasing the Pre3 when they are was given back in February (or excuses, if you prefer). That's when I was bothered, but right now, they're keeping to the schedule they gave back then. They're not offering excuses - they're delivering what they said they would.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast