Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lactose View Post
    I don't feel that the Pre 3 needs to be an iPhone and more. If it only has a bigger screen, working GPS and Facebook client and keyboard, I will be very happy.
    I would say those things plus Pre2 or better quality hardware and better support+marketing. I just don't get what is taking them so long...and frankly, if its some new whiz-bang feature, I would rather have had what we just talked about come out months ago and then have to wait additional time for just the new whiz-bang feature...on a Pre3+ or Pre3S or something..
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    By now checking in on PreCentral out of curiosity. Was ready to go Pre3, but no more.
    Outdated phone and a market penetration below anything measurable. DOA.
    TeePee ain't rockin' the boat either so apps that make sense will come to webos last if at all.
    Too bad, I like WebOS. Have a pre- and when that baby gives up the ghost I'll see what is out there.

Well Leo, good luck writing off 1.2 billion smackers pal...........
    Quote Originally Posted by lactose View Post
    I don't feel that the Pre 3 needs to be an iPhone and more. If it only has a bigger screen, working GPS and Facebook client and keyboard, I will be very happy.
    I would agree with you, as I too would have been happy actually with just an updated Pixi format.....but I also realize I am in the minority and that's not going to get carriers excited to carry any new HP products. They need to be competitive in software, hardware, marketing, apps, ecosystem integration, etc. If HP cannot get some quality phones out quickly webOS may whither due to lack of carrier interest. I hope it doesn't happen, but seeing that the only really new feature that Pre3 was bringing was a front camera, I am baffled about what the heck is taking so long!
    Quite frankly, I have lost interest. Shame as I was very excited earlier this year
    Global Posts
    480 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aapre View Post
    I too would have been happy actually with just an updated Pixi format...
    I would like a Pixi format, a bit bigger maybe. I have kind of wondered if sliding the keyboard on my Pre+ so much is part of what is wrong with it now (earpiece speaker not working correctly). Less moving parts probably means less stress on the unit.
    This is like death watch.
    threed61#WN likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFL View Post
    Quite frankly, I have lost interest. Shame as I was very excited earlier this year
    You speak for legions of webOS fans!
    danstah likes this.
    A few things need to be realized with the Pre3 and let the assumptions die: the specs aren't going to change and at most, it'll be released with webOS 2.2 which will be bug fixes and have TTS support. Still no Enyo. So whenever we see the phone it will be the exact phone we saw back in February. This whole "HP needs to hit it out of the park with the Pre3" isn't going to happen. NOW.. that being said, when HP finally decides to flex their own hardware muscle and develop their own phone with their own design and completely get out from under Palm's legacy shadow, then and only then will webOS become a relevant smartphone platform. I believe it will, but it will take some time.

If you've noticed, phone hardware is actually starting to slow down as the technology delta is hitting critical mass. Dual core 1.2Ghz and 1GB ram with these super hi-rez screens is starting to become the standard and frankly - its more than enough anyway. You'll start to see more unique features instead of shear horsepower advancements (see Evo 3d and the Echo). My point is, while it seems Android and iOS (and even WinMo) are zooming along at breakneck speeds, HP still has ample time and opportunity to come up with something unique and compete with the masses. The problem is not letting webOS become a curse word before then. People will be turned off before products even hit - good or bad. HP needs to change people's perception and I think they are doing "just" enough to do that right now. I'd like to see them do a lot more, especially seeing what they are capable of (see HP Envy). I'll stick by them for a bit longer.
    threed61#WN likes this.

That is a shame, Dave. I used to follow your posts a couple years ago when I was starting to pick up Mojo. You always asked good questions on the development forums and usually would end up answering something I was having problems with.
    Pre3 is duke nukem forever of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Pre3 is duke nukem forever of smartphones.
    And we all know how that game turned out.
    i will put 100 bucks on it saying the pre 3 wont be released for 6-8 months i wont be surprised.
  13. AZ8
    “HP will stop making announcements for stuff it doesn’t have. When HP makes announcements, it will be getting ready to ship,” - HP CEO Leo Apotheker, January 28, 2011.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ8 View Post
    “HP will stop making announcements for stuff it doesn’t have. When HP makes announcements, it will be getting ready to ship,” - HP CEO Leo Apotheker, January 28, 2011.
    IMHO, Leo Apotheker is the worst thing to ever happen to HP in a long time. It's unfortunate what happened to Mark Hurd but he was a big part of what made HP great there for a little while. Leo is a classic case of the left hand not knowing what the right is doing. Before Mark, HP was known for having some extremely bad CEO's. Seems Mark was just a blurb from an otherwise horrible line of leadership. Let's hope Todd Bradley has more say so in webOS's future than some of the other "higher ups".
    Ok, do we really need yet another "the iPhone X will be the only phone anyone wants" thread? Seriously, how many times must it be pointed out that there are many more people who have no desire for an iPhone than actually do? There's a reason why other phones are selling as well. The Pre 3 will be an excellent, very solid device, that will do what pretty much most people want out of a smartphone. That's all it needs. The rest is marketing and mindshare.

HP has stated that a slew of products will start rolling out in the last 6 months of the year. So I wouldn't count them out yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    HP has stated that a slew of products will start rolling out in the last 6 months of the year. So I wouldn't count them out yet.
    If you read between the lines from those comments, HP is probably referring to devices besides smartphones. Also remember every iteration of the Touchpad counts toward one of those products. So the Touchpad alone will have 3 versions and then the Opal with maybe 2 or 3 of its own. Throw in the Pre3 somewhere down the line and you got your slew of products right there.

Sorry to be the harbinger of bad news but that is just the reality of webOS in 2011. I'll hold out hope they can at least announce a completely new "product" by years end to spark up some interest toward 2012.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Uhh, as mattbrad2 pointed out, this "slew of products" is likely to be just variants of a much smaller set of products. If we see anything beyond the 3 versions of the Touchpad, a couple versions of Opal and the Pre 3, I will be very surprised. They can't even seem to get phones out and marketed properly.

I doubt they're burning the midnight oil on a bunch of secret devices for the xmas season.
    Mark Hurd was also the guy who let slip that HP didn't buy Palm to make smartphones. Don't bet that we'll even see the Pre 3. I think they do want to make tabs and netbooks.
    My interest is still there but my hope is gone. I'm on Sprint.
    So I'm gonna go Galaxy S II when it comes out. $100 that GSII comes out before Pre 3 hits ATT/Ver.
    cnote1287 likes this.
    I always liked webOS, but never really had an option for it on GSM until the Pre2 was launched with Rogers. It was launched so late, that it made sense to wait for the Pre3. I was on board ready to buy it, even pay full price if I didn't have upgrade eligibility.

Now, I'm tired of waiting. I think I might go the Nokia N9 route when its released. Simplified OS, excellent multitasking, and great notifications area.

Why should I prioritize the Pre3 when HP doesn't?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast