Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    What I mean by this is whether it is cdma and unlocked or locked. If unlocked I can imagine the quick buyout of all non contract Pre 3's. But if locked what do you all here predict the turn around time for jailbreaking it?

    I speculate 2 months! I'm not gonna do a poll so just guess the time to jailbreak and lets see if you are accurate!
  2. Fatfool's Avatar
    Posts
    224 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    #2  
    .......


    Jailbreaking refers to 'hacking' the OS to open it up to non approved proggies. The Pre doesn't even need that as it has a developer mode option.


    You mean Unlocking it.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfool View Post
    .......


    Jailbreaking refers to 'hacking' the OS to open it up to non approved proggies. The Pre doesn't even need that as it has a developer mode option.


    You mean Unlocking it.
    I used both terms. Read between the lines next time before assuming some one doesn't know what their talking about. I only used jailbreak as a way to distinguish it being bound down to a carrier and escaping them.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo.55 View Post
    I used both terms. Read between the lines next time before assuming some one doesn't know what their talking about. I only used jailbreak as a way to distinguish it being bound down to a carrier and escaping them.
    then you would be the only one that uses the term jailbreaking to mean "unlocking to change carriers". Now we just need to figure out what "drops" are in the title?
  5.    #5  
    <<mod delete>> "Drops" as in when it hits sale. <<mod delete>>
    Last edited by bevcraw; 07/25/2011 at 07:26 AM. Reason: insulting, language
  6. #6  
    Your post is confusing, just that.
    You want us to guess how fast GSM Pre3 will be carrier unlocked? Probably within a month by some unlocking services. CDMA Pre3 will not be unlocked because Verizon and Sprint have agreement not to cross activate phones.
    And if you meant how unlocked GSM phones would sell better than carrier locked phones, you are wrong because carrier locked phones are much cheaper (initially) than unlocked one. Unlocked Pre2 and it's insane price is nice example how this approach is not working, at least in US.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Your post is confusing, just that.
    You want us to guess how fast GSM Pre3 will be carrier unlocked? Probably within a month by some unlocking services. CDMA Pre3 will not be unlocked because Verizon and Sprint have agreement not to cross activate phones.
    And if you meant how unlocked GSM phones would sell better than carrier locked phones, you are wrong because carrier locked phones are much cheaper (initially) than unlocked one. Unlocked Pre2 and it's insane price is nice example how this approach is not working, at least in US.
    Thank for making a comment that is not inflammatory in my eyes. I did not know about such a agreement for cross activating phones.

    But then why are people getting Pre 2's and unlocking them to use on sprint? I can find threads here attesting to people getting them just so they can stick with sprint?
  8. Targon's Avatar
    Posts
    502 Posts
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo.55 View Post
    Thank for making a comment that is not inflammatory in my eyes. I did not know about such a agreement for cross activating phones.

    But then why are people getting Pre 2's and unlocking them to use on sprint? I can find threads here attesting to people getting them just so they can stick with sprint?
    The Pre 2 and original Pre share the same design when it comes to the electronics, so the comm board from a Sprint Pre can then be put into a Pre 2 and work. The Pre 3 on the other hand has/will have a new design so you can't use the comm board from a Sprint Pre minus and put it in a Pre 3.

    The real key is that since the comm board from the original Pre was designed and approved for/by Sprint, it could be used, but can't be used with a Pre 3.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    The Pre 2 and original Pre share the same design when it comes to the electronics, so the comm board from a Sprint Pre can then be put into a Pre 2 and work. The Pre 3 on the other hand has/will have a new design so you can't use the comm board from a Sprint Pre minus and put it in a Pre 3.

    The real key is that since the comm board from the original Pre was designed and approved for/by Sprint, it could be used, but can't be used with a Pre 3.
    TY for that.
  10. #10  
    But, since Pre3 is world phone, hosting both CDMA and GSM radios, it will be interesting to see prices on craigslist or eBay one day when HP is release it. I bet lots of webOS fans from Europe will be interested to buy it.
  11. #11  
    One could look to see how long it took to unlock the Veer. I think it was days. But I would think, since the Pre 3 will have both CDMA and GSM radios, the Verizon Pre 3's GSM radio will come unlocked.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    But I would think, since the Pre 3 will have both CDMA and GSM radios, the Verizon Pre 3's GSM radio will come unlocked.
    Yup. That is the point of a world phone. If the GSM radio was carrier locked, it would not be a world phone.
    Touchscreens are a fad.

Posting Permissions